PDA

View Full Version : Freelance 5/19/2007

Funjunkie74
05-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Got back, had dinner and now very quickly fading.... :tired:
So today's report will be mostly pics, brief and simple.

I got a call from my boy, Kev, who tells me "Catalina, Saturday, Freelance!! It's wide open!! We gotta go!!" I was planning to fishing anyway so this was a no brainer.

6:00am I show up at Davey's.
6:30am We were supposed to leave...
7:00am We actually leave.

Capt. Norris tells us that the bait boat captain is going to his boat and that he'll be there in 10~15 minutes, so we're going to wait for him right inside the harbor.

2 hours later, we're no longer inside the harbor and about an hour outside of the harbor. And Capt. Norris tells us, we're gonna wait here till the bait boat meets up with us. So with cut squid, we start sculpin fishing. I caught one sculpin here...(sorry no pics)

Then an hour later, finally the bait boat shows up...
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0287.jpg

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0288.jpg

They were scooping in ANCHOVIES!! I haven't seen anchovies in a long time!! I didn't thing that we still used them for fishing!!! hahaha!!

Well, 30 minutes later, we're on our way!!
(Anybody keeping track of the time?? Yeah, it's 10:30am already!!)

12:30pm and we finally start to see familiar scenery....Avalon..
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0290.jpg

A little pokey here, a little pokey there...my bag is still empty...

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0293.jpg
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0294.jpg

Fast forward, to the end (there aren't really any details worth talking about...) 1 sculpin, 1 calico, and 1 bonito...the making of a really good sashimi dinner!!
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/DSCN0303.jpg

And here's the bonus picture.
Kev and I got a little frustrated with the day. I think we envisioned something much more "fight belt required" fishing. So here's a shot of what I had envisioned...
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/HPIM0295.jpg
It reminds me of the great picture of Duc fighting a YFT in Cabo last year...

jonee523
05-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow, usually a good boat.

JapanRon
05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Funjunkie74,

Thanks for the extra effort! You presented what might qualify as a 'Nightmare on Freelance Street' as just stuff that goes on with a moo-moo and aquisition of bait during a transition period.

I fully sympathize with your ..... er ..... our plight!

I'll bet one or more of the the following elements were contributors to the 'tripy trip'.

1) Sometimes ... skippers (landing) will wait for late comers. I dislike that but in the end it could be the difference between ones own boat going out with a profit/breaking even or not. Better late than never ?

2) Less acceptable ..... some skippers (or maybe landings policy) get greedy or money hungry and hope to pick up some anglers from boats of other landings that in the end couldn't go out due to a minimum passenger requirement. (hate that) Happens when landings are in close proximity to each other. A service to competitiors anglers and dis-service to the patrons on the boat.

3) Skippers want good counts any~day but especially before a week-end and will go the extra mile to attract the fish-count watchers. I know of skippers that are willing to gamble 'a little less fishing time' against .......... more, better quality, or a preferred specis. I don't blame them. Anglers attitudes are split on this one!

4) Whether it be the bait receiver/bait-boat that is hoping to sell some of their supply/catch to the sporties ....... stuff happens. I've noticed and accepted that the bait-boats can't run on a schedule and don't always correctly estimate their arrival time or place at a receiver, outside the breakwater, or a spot in the middle of the ocean. To some degree, the skipper is at the mercy of the bait-guys who are well-intentioned!!

It was clever of the skipper to go out and park at a spot where you could fish. Heck, I've waited just outside the harbor for a good long time and with no fishing possibilites other than Queenfish! till the bait-boat came.

As to heading toward Catalina at 10:30am ..... again .... a gamble ..... or more properly ......... a pretty steep 'raise' in the game after a substantial ante. A skipper may very well have privy info on the islands conditions with so many boats there and hoped for primo conditions. (I myself would would have been ok with it but only because .......... I'm willing to trade 3 hours fishing at Catalina for 6 or 7 hours locally ... Horseshoe Kelp 5/19.)

Hero or zero: The afernoon bite didn't develop for anything and so it looks like the all-in resulted in going home with just enough for a fishy dinner. I've done worse ...... that's for sure. :lol: :lol:

I'm giving the moo-moos a little slack at present as the bait-supply 'system' is not perfectly in place with the new bait-boat entrys onto the local scene. Some will do business locally others at Catalina. Things just ain't smoothed out yet. Things will get better I'm sure.

Again, thanks for a very balanced report and much appreciated. Haven't been down to the little 3 in a while but am sure that you know it's a gimme that stuff goes on at EVERY landing at ANY given time.

JapanRon

Sea Murda
05-20-2007, 09:41 AM
That dinner looks delicious! And I dont even like sashimi :D, nice report man!

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 10:28 AM
JR, thanks!
I think the bottom line is "sometimes things just don't roll the way they're supposed to." If anything, I think the Capt. was stressing the most!!

Considering the bad conditions (luck??) the bags did not go home completely empty. Efforts were being made and I appreciated it. My wife enjoyed the sashimi and I enjoyed looking at that, so whether it was a slow day or a wide open day, it's just icing.

:twisted:

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 10:28 AM
That dinner looks delicious! And I dont even like sashimi :D, nice report man!

There's hope for you yet!!
I'll make a believer out of you!!

EricU
05-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Your reports seemed to create a bit of drama that keeps me reading. I expect the worse and then there is a ray of sunshine!

I have been on a few sport fishing boats and have not experienced that HUGE lag time from launch to fishing grounds. I think JRon has accurately and eloquently described every scenario possible for the reason for the delay. Me, I don't know if I could contain myself waiting to "get on fish".

Good going on staying cool and making the best of a ??? situation.

What did you end up having as sashimi...the clear plate?

Thank you for the story and pictures.

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Your reports seemed to create a bit of drama that keeps me reading. I expect the worse and then there is a ray of sunshine!

I have been on a few sport fishing boats and have not experienced that HUGE lag time from launch to fishing grounds. I think JRon has accurately and eloquently described every scenario possible for the reason for the delay. Me, I don't know if I could contain myself waiting to "get on fish".

Good going on staying cool and making the best of a ??? situation.

What did you end up having as sashimi...the clear plate?

Thank you for the story and pictures.

Eric, you give me too much credit. Life is, er, fishing is a drama in itself. It's all about how you tell it afterwards. Some people embellish and talk about "the fish that got away" and some people tell it like it is. JR's reports always tell it like it is AND you get the added benefit of learning a thing or two (or three!!).

Hey, I'm the kind of guy that has given up complaining and learned that when you're given lemons...make CEVICHE!! It tastes better than being bitter!!

The sashimi is sculpin (on the left) and a calico bass (on the right). The amount of sashimi can tell you how big the calico was in comparison to the sculpin. In Japan, the sculpin is known as "KASAGO" a delicacy not often found at most sushi bars. It's also a great fish to grill with a little salt and a lemon squeezed over it when it's done!

I am flattered and very glad you enjoyed my report.
I look forward to the day I write my report with a few of you FNNers in it!!

Funjunkie

ghetto dad
05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey man, thanks for the report bro....sorry about the less then stellar day!!!! Good job keeping the good attitude!!! :D

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey man, thanks for the report bro....sorry about the less then stellar day!!!! Good job keeping the good attitude!!! :D

Thanks!
Just havin' fun!! There are enough things to really get pissed over...ie. politics and taxes!! ahahaha!

4g63power
05-20-2007, 07:04 PM
at least you got out there and wet your line..i heard sculpins make good sashimi..hows calico?

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 07:29 PM
at least you got out there and wet your line..i heard sculpins make good sashimi..hows calico?

That's the attitude I'm talking about!! Yes, I did get to wet my lines and I enjoyed it!! Also had the chance to get some practice on the new Avet!

Calico sashimi is great! Much better than sand bass or perch.

JapanRon
05-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi again funjunkie74,

Yes ..... you are quite right !! ........... in Japan we have a huge variety of (California Scorpionfish) .... Sculpin. They are not that popular at sushi places there either.

There is such a variety of Sculpin fished for there that they are almost like the rockfish family we have here in SoCal.

The biggest of the species is called Oni-kasago. Oni means devil, giant, etc. Largest models only about 14 inches. What's cool about the kasago family there is they are most often found near shore, around breakwaters and especially rocky points as well as nearby deeper drop-offs.

As few fish for them ..... they are an easy target to fish with light-tackle and any kind of Yozuri minnow, Kastmaster and the like! I could catch them year around.

Thanks for the memory jog!

JapanRon

ghetto dad
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM

That's the attitude I'm talking about!! Yes, I did get to wet my lines and I enjoyed it!! Also had the chance to get some practice on the new Avet!

which avet you got homie???

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 11:00 PM

which avet you got homie???

SX5.1, blue...I love this thing!! So nice to cast!! Didn't have the chance to really check out the drag at full throttle, but I'm feeling good about it!!

ghetto dad
05-20-2007, 11:02 PM
i also have one of those, i fish 12 lb on it for bass...I love it....i have an mx that i currently have on my 15 lb rod, but i think im gonna use the mx for my 20 lb rod and purchase another sx to put on my 15 lb rod...those little reels are sweet......thanks man!!

Funjunkie74
05-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi again funjunkie74,

Yes ..... you are quite right !! ........... in Japan we have a huge variety of (California Scorpionfish) .... Sculpin. They are not that popular at sushi places there either.

There is such a variety of Sculpin fished for there that they are almost like the rockfish family we have here in SoCal.

The biggest of the species is called Oni-kasago. Oni means devil, giant, etc. Largest models only about 14 inches. What's cool about the kasago family there is they are most often found near shore, around breakwaters and especially rocky points as well as nearby deeper drop-offs.

As few fish for them ..... they are an easy target to fish with light-tackle and any kind of Yozuri minnow, Kastmaster and the like! I could catch them year around.

Thanks for the memory jog!

JapanRon

JR, anytime bro!!
Yep, the ONI-KASAGO is an ugly monster! It's not even red!! It's actually black! EWWWW.

The California Scorpionfish (aka Sculpin) is actually quite beautiful with its bright red colors.

Here's a Japanese site with a bunch of pics.
Sorry if you can't read one lick of it, but how much reading does it require to look at pictures of Japanese Scorpionfish?!?!
http://fishing-forum.org/zukan/mashtml/M000035_1.htm

Look at all the different and similar colors.... :shock:

jplee3
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Way to go! Wish I could've made it... I didn't know you could do sashimi out of sculpin, rockfish and calicos! I outta try sometime! Except, I'm no sushi chef, so I'd probably screw things up big time :D

Hitts0n
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
B.E.N.D.O Nation !! :twisted: :thumb: