PDA

View Full Version : Halibut?

calico killer kevin
05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I've tried alot of places in the last few weeks, but nothing. I've tried lucky crafts, big hammers, fish traps, flashtrix, you name it. I've tried long beach near the pier, the reserve, bolsa chica mouth, and huntington for nothing. When is the ideal tide to hit the surf? What conditions should I be looking for? Sorry for all the questions, but so far this year my luck has been pretty sucky. I promise that if I get a hali I will post a full detailed report.

JSAUCE818
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
PM sent...

KID CREOLE
05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
If you fishing halibut from the surf, you gotta go during the grunion runs!

Bassripper2000
05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
When are the grunion runs?

I need help also... been getting wet for no reason lately.

KID CREOLE
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
When are the grunion runs?

I need help also... been getting wet for no reason lately.

You can pick up a tide chart for few at most tackle shops, included in the tide charts are the projected grunio runs.

A big mistake guys make fishing halibut is that they fish to close to the bottom, if you're fishing swim baits, make long cast, allow lure to touch bottom, make 3 to 5 quick turns of the reel and stop, the halibut typically hit the lure on the drop!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
05-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Your ideal time to go is try getting there at 6am and fish it till like noon. the bite will pick up around 10am on outgoing tide incoming is great aswell..a great method is if your fishing bolsa mouth go to the jetty side not the sand side walk down when its low tide and its going to be outgoing tide throw parallel along with the rocks going out with the tide and just slow retrieve your LC and surely you will get slammed as i always do! :Cool: you can pull some FATTYS out right there..and as for the rest of the surf find areas like rip tide areas thats where the bait will form and the halis will feed and also fish in and around by rocks look for drop offs halis will sit basically at your feet ifs theres a drop off. And a easy way to find em is bait balls birds diving halis will chase bait they arent a lazy fish like most people think they lay on the bottom!! haha those bad boys will catch air if you keep an eye out!!well anyways good luck!

Larry,