PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage Of The Colorado XT

Ghost
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
It was a very windy day! The wind was so bad that there were slight whitecaps when I was rowing back to the launch area. It was a workout & I felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I realized when I made it back to the launch area that I was the only one out in the river using a craft w/ oars. There were no kayakers, canoes, rowboats out there.

Since this was the first ride on the new craft, I found out a few things that I need to adjust. 1 most important is to adjust the left oar. I have the oar keepers on & the blade on the left oar is just slightly turned in. It looked straight when I started out, but after a while I could tell that I couldn't work the left oar as well as the right oar.

The craft seemed to handle well, but I have to get used to the longer oars, 7' on the Colorado XT vs 6' on my previous toon, Outcast Streamer XL.

I decked out the Colorado XT & all seems to work out fine. The 2 plastic baskets on back, I can store quite alot of gear. And the side pockets are quite large for more stuff.

The craft is very different from my previous one that it will take a few outings to get used to it. The weight isn't all that bad, just a bit heavier than my other one. But it's slightly wider too, & it just sits "okay" on top of my Jeep. I use 3 straps & I think I need to use a fourth one to make sure it's secured.

I brought along a couple rods to use. Shimano Cumara spinning rod w/ Saros 2500 spinning reel. And Carrot Stix baitcast rod w/ Shimano Chronarch MG51 baitcast reel. I was about to bring a couple more rods, but I didn't want to complicate the fishing w/ trying to use the new toon. And those are Hot Spot fins on the side of the toon.

Even though the wind just sucked, I was able to catch 3 small mouth bass, now that's cool!

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/537/c2.jpg

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/537/c3.jpg

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/537/c1.jpg

steve092
05-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Good to see the 'toon worked out great.

I eventually want to upgrade my toon, and the XT is probably the one.

Ghost
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM
My butt is sitting on top of the water. Only my calves & feet are wet, from the knees up, fairly dry.

There's no pivot for the feet rest, I don't whack my shins on them though. I think the bars are just a bit long, length wise, where your feet rests on. I am thinking of cutting them some, so I have more clearance when I bring a fish to me.

I loaded the toon on top by myself. I load it form the back & have the back of the toon diagonal when I first start. I then "shimmy" it on top of the Jeeps roof. It's not much heavier than the Outcast Streamer XL I had. It is a little work getting the toon on top of the Jeep, & I have to do it myself. Can't really ask some stranger to give me a hand loading the toon on top of my Jeep. I do think I need to take alot of air from the tubes when the toons on top. Since it's just a tad wider, it does not sit on the rails, so I need to drop the air pressure so the rails will be inside part of the tubes & a snugger fit.

I have 2 white crates in back, held down w/ alot of tie downs. Those things aren't going anywhere. Also, there's really no freeways I have to deal w/ like back home. If I do have to do a long haul w/ the toon, I'll use my wifes '96 Ford Aerostar van. I can fit that thing w/ the tubes taken off quite well. For local hauling of the toon on streets, I just have to make sure I have it tied down. I do think I need to use a 4th strap though.

I've thought of getting a trolling motor for it, maybe I can convince the wife for one for my birthday in August...I do like rowing though.

I've thought that if I hook into a real big pike, musky, steelhead trout, salmon, gar, catfish or carp; I'll be on an "Indiana sleigh ride" of my life!!!

Troutman65
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice setup you got there.:cool:

Thanks for the post

Troutman65