PDA

View Full Version : Help Help Help

ROTO_ROOTER
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok I Am Woundering What You Guyes Are Using Out There In The Harbor "wingnut" And Others. Are They Just Swim Baits And What Pound Line. Are You Fishing Edges Or Open Water Iam Not Very Savy In The Salt Water Can You Help '

Thanks

vanillagurilla
05-26-2008, 07:59 PM
i like 12lb mono and 1/2oz jig heads with swimmies. fish under docks and always make a cast or 2 to the pilings and let it drop streight down.

ROTO_ROOTER
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
hey thanks for the info. do you go often? iam not second guessing your info iam trying to find sombody to meet there that know's somthing more than me cause i dont kno much about salt water

thank ya much
micah

vanillagurilla
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
i havent gone in a long while. done a few bay bass tournements with my grandpaw. dont have a boat or id be out more :). good luck to you. if you have a boat and need some company lemme know.

fish_sauce
05-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Ok I Am Woundering What You Guyes Are Using Out There In The Harbor "wingnut" And Others. Are They Just Swim Baits And What Pound Line. Are You Fishing Edges Or Open Water Iam Not Very Savy In The Salt Water Can You Help '

from my limited experience, almost anything will produce fish; it all depends on what target species you're going after, and how you present it. in fact, i've seen people use freshwater bass lures like spinners and spoons for bay bass with great success...

for the common bay bass and halibut, i like throwing fishtraps with 3/4oz-4-0 leadheads on 8lb test, or drop shotting 5'' swim shads. Use fluorocarbon if you could afford it, as the saltwater bass have nice sharp teeth on them.

i don't have a boat, so most of the time im limited to fishing the edge, but in my opinion, the edge of the water usually produce the best fish anyway...especially during mid day when they seek refuge in the shade and structure and away from the noise and boat traffic. if you have a small boat or kayak or float tube, you could access the private docks easier to search for the lunker bay bass as the areas around public docks are under more fishing pressure.

two important things to pay attention to are tide level and water temperature. when its high tide, big fish are more willing to come closer to shore to feed, and when its cold, they are more likely to move into deeper open water. these are not rules set in stone, as you will find out that you can still catch fish on cold days at minus low tide...but its a good guideline to go by...

sometimes on slow days or at night, i like to just soak some cut anchovies or muscle to see what i'll get...there is a good variety of fish that reside within the harbor, each with its unique fighting pattern/character, and not all of them will readily take an artificial lure...so keep your options open and don't limit yourself to just artificials!

good luck out there and have fun experimenting!

ROTO_ROOTER
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
hey thanks alot i will have to try it out this weekend

flyngby
05-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I had the pleasure to take Wingnut out for his first trip fishing NPH! I am a regular there and I learned some techniques during his short time time on my boat even though I was the 1 familiar with the Harbor.

Subject: Fishing Newport Harbor May 1, 2008

I have been fishing the Harbor since April 13 of 2007 and have had what I would consider great success in such a short time. I have managed to encourage over 40 species take my offerings and to be CPR’D (Captured, Photo, and Released!!)

There are several approaches to be able to enjoy the great fishery that Newport Harbor has to offer. They would include but not limited to the following ways to access it: I have fished from the Jetty, Shore, Docks, Rental Skiff, and Private Boat and will try others techniques in the near future ( Float Tube, Kayak, Diving) of which all provide different opportunities to get the job done!!

The Public docks starting on the peninsula side near the Wedge Jetty are as follows:

M St.
Washington St. (by Fun Zone) also a Pump-out Station
15th St. is also a Pump-out Station
19th St.
A Board Walk on Lido Park Drive
And walk the beaches between the private docks. (Pay attention to the Private Areas)

On Balboa Island they are:

Park Ave.
Coral Ave.
Opal Ave.
Emerald Ave.
Sapphire Ave.
And walk the beaches between the private docks. (Pay attention to the Private Areas).

Baits to use are: Anchovy, Mackerel, Ghost Shrimp, Mussel, Sardine, Market Shrimp, and Squid. Live captured Top smelt can be caught at the Docks using a Sabbiki Jig or chumming with bread and using an Umbrella Net.

I have seen Crank Baits, and Plastics work also. Not so much in my favor though except on my private boat.

There a various rigs to experiment with,

Carolina, Texas, and fly lining dead baits is always productive.

Tides in the harbor have alot to do with sucess and some locations do better than others dependent on the tide as mentioned above.

Good Luck!!!! It just takes time on the water and alot of experimenting

Flyngby (Steve)

ROTO_ROOTER
05-27-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks alot for the info