PDA

View Full Version : The humble grayling.....

DocSpotty
05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
It is so easy to get caught up with numbers and size of the finny creatures we fish for, hopefully we don’t miss some of the beauty that surrounds the whole fishing experience (wow…..I must be getting old because this is sounding very weird). Granted in Alaska we do have much less “concrete jungle” than elsewhere but even the “other” species we sometimes catch have great innate beauty.

A few days ago I stumbled upon a once-in-a-lifetime experience when I was fortunate enough to land a very large king salmon with very light gear…..while looking to catch rainbows or a few dollies. The experience still gets my adrenals going everytime I think about it. This morning I left early to fish the same stretch of water in an attempt to put another king in the freezer…..it was a futile attempt. After a few cloudy days this weekend the sky was crytal clear this morning and a brisk 34 degrees. While driving the 70 miles to the river where I caught the king last week there was a great deal more traffic than usual….everyone getting out for the last day of the Memorial Day weekend. Fully expecting many people fishing this place I was pleasantly surprised to find that, although there were many campers there, I was the only one fishing.

Walking down from parking my vehicle I was heavily perused by the local fish police:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/KashBaldy.jpg

But he let me pass without opposition. As I was rigging up and getting ready to sidle out within casting range of my favorite seam this view of Mt. McKinley was fantastic looking upstream:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/KashMcKinley.jpg

BTW….that’s my seam right down from that point where the tree is. I could draw you a very elaborate map of the “secret” logs hiding in this stretch….but why keep you guys from having your own fun.

No sooner had I rigged up then a jet boat comes flying out of the boat launch nearby and anchors in MY SEAM….the audacity of it all….this was MY SEAM….didn’t these guys read the sign? It was quite rude but I chatted with them anyway…the weather was much to beautiful to waste on being cranky. About 45 minutes into wreaking unbearable inflammation on my recently reconstructed (and I believe, now deconstructing…..too much flyfishing) right shoulder the big old streamer stopped midseam. As I reefed back on the flyrod (this time I was prepared….sort of….8wt flyrod, 17.6lbs tippet) a small king wallowed on the surface and immediately took off for open river…….you guessed it, right under by new “buddies” boat (did I mention they anchored it in MY SEAM?) and pop goes the weasel….and my line. Three hours more fishing and nothing. Was making a last swing through MY SEAM (my “buddies” had gone in for lunch) and I had a persistent strike. Hooked the little beast, grossly overmatched with the 8wt and brought in a striking 18” grayling….I find all grayling “striking”. They are absolutely fabulous looking. I took a few photos and kissed him goodbye back into MY SEAM. The pictures of the little guy came out great….the king salmon picture from last week is truly impressive….but my little grayling coloration is much more beautiful:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/KashGrayling.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/KashGraylingwRod.jpg

I had a pleasant drive home, just finished writing this and now my lovely wife is clamoring for me to help her plant flowers outside. Oh, the mundane things of life we must endure between our little excursions after God’s wonderful little finny creatures.

Brian

KaliDawgFan
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
never heard of or seen a grayling before. thanks

SoCalGuy7
05-26-2008, 06:52 PM
:Applause:

Beautiful grayling, your making us lower 48 guys jealous...!

SCG7

familyguy15
05-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Love reading your reports. NICE FISH!!!! Looking forward to some more nice pics of fish we dont catch in cali.

fishntime
05-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Now thats a species I would love to fish for. It looks like its ready to fly!

steve092
05-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Congrats on the grayling.

Troutman65
05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice going on your fishing trip. Thanks for the report and pics.

Troutman65

one_leg
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Don't you just hate it when other guys try to park it on your seam?

Nice job Brian.

O_L

troutdog
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Grayling often get overlooked with all the other fish available in your area, but man are they fun to catch on the fly. Those are some great eating fish as well, thanks for sharing another of your fantastic adventures with us Doc!

TD

Cangler
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I had no idea you could find grayling in the US

They are fairly common in UK trout streams

Great report ! ... you had made my day seeing these wonderful fish :)

sansou
05-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Great report! The closest grayling I personally know of is in AZ (white mountains).

ThemBastards
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I really enjoy your posts Doc. Save some of those fish for me;)

dooblehaul
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
That's my 1st species of fish ever caught on a flyrod!!! They are becoming very uncommon lately in the northwest.

Wingnut
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Spectacular looking fish, well done. :D

flyforfish21
06-01-2008, 03:58 PM
i had one to my net in montana and it snapped off... they fight super hard for their size...thats a nice looking grayling doc...spectacular catch...

flyforfish21