PDA

View Full Version : Cooking of LargeMouth Bass

Hate2Fish
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Knowing full well no one is reading my comments and will jump dead in my **** here it goes LOL

Before I joined this website I kept everything over 15" for my pan. You members have taught me more than you will ever realise about the health of the LMB population

I firmly believe it is proper to cull and take home some for consumption. Some ponds are overwhemled with shorts and as true sportsmen we should do our part in making the brood stock larger

Some ponds I frequent there is no way in hell I'd take LMB home due to over fishing

With that friends LMB sure taste good

vanillagurilla
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
i like catfish better than LMB. i kept 1 lmb about 2 years ago just to try it and i didnt like it. id rather have bluegill! blue gill is redicoulsly good.

SoCalGuy7
05-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Never had LMB. Probably never will ..............:cool:

HBJapo
06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Never had LMB. Probably never will ..............:cool:

I don't believe that you are missing much. Tried to eat a LMB 20 years ago......no bueno. I will never try that again. Better CnR'd. Leave the sushi to the sushi chefs......

Japo :Envious:

rusty6
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
pond bass=no bueno because of stagnant, algae filled water. Larger lake and river bass taste much better due to cleaner/flowing water. bass can be delicious if cooked right.

BIGRED KILLA
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
They are the best for tacos.

Bigred

GeordyBass
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
i only took one from piru,because it was half dead...and it was BLOODY!:Twisted:
It was alright,but bluegills and stripies are way tastier!

sansou
06-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Has this section of the board turned into a confessional??? Ha ha!! If so, I confess to once having fished for LMB....I have since repented, learned the error of my ways, and re-dedicated myself to pursuing much finer specie. LOL.

Hitts0n
06-15-2008, 06:44 PM
I dunno how many years ago it was,maybe 3-4,but I fried a 9lb lmb from Pyramid.It was ok,but I rather release all lmb no matter how much I b.s saying kill all lmb.Catfish 0wnz! :cool:

Shock
06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
So where's the recipe?

I might need it one day...lol

Slims
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Keeping bass that are just legal size are the tastiest. Too big, and the fish is too old to taste good.

Anyway, I havent eaten LMB in probably 17 years, but I remember them being really good pan fried in eggwash and seasoned flour and dipped in tartar sauce.

Like everyone else is saying, eat bluegill/redear, they are excellent.

Stormcrow
06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey man, thats cool, you have a logical reason to eat a LMB from time to time. However, I think you might find that there are other fish that taste way better. I have tasted LMB and I found it gamey and awful. I personally enjoy catfish and even bluegill/redear.

Remember, The primary reason LMB are placed into ponds is NOT for consumption. Thats what stockers are for. They are a hardy sportfish meant for enhancing the biological filter of a body of water.

If you absolutely cant live without eating LMB I would suggest a deep fry recipe of some sort. Maybe a beer batter and a deep fryer. Try to make them as much like fish sticks as possible.

good luck!

BakoBassin
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
The people that I used to go with used to keep them. They had a fish fry with bass and crappie. They just put them in that BPS batter and they tasted alright to me.

Sparky70
06-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Bass STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFL:

joe man
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I ate bass very often when I was a kid and I love them. I haven't eaten any for about 15 years but if I gill one you can bet I will fry it up.

Sparky70
06-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Caught some LMB and Bluegill on the same day, took some home to eat, the Bluegill were awsome compaired to the Bass..........:Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes:

Sparky70
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
No wonder they throw Bass back.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
I confess to once having fished for LMB....I have since repented, learned the error of my ways, and re-dedicated myself to pursuing much finer specie. LOL.
Is that because you didn't catch any ?...

Ha Ha ha...try it again.....

Lightline
09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
99 Ranch Market has a lot of them alive for sale.

Ricky-Ray
09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Get yourself a plastic ziplock bag or something similar. Cut the filets into nice size squares and throw it in the bag. Throw in your favorite seasonings. I like to use fresh ones myself. Basil, thyme and rosemary I think work the best. The fresh basil really good and gives it a sweet taste which offsets the rosemary. I then add a little vinegar and some olive oil. Make sure everything is coated. Seal up the bag and put it in the fridge for at least an hour or two. I prefer overnight.

Once your fish has marinated overnight, chop up some veggies. I like carrots, celery and the like, but go with your favorites. You cant go wrong. Add these to the bag and give it a good shake to cover the just added veggies.

Once that is completed dump out the contents of the bag into the trash.

Now eat the bag.

Enjoy!

SoCalGuy7
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Get yourself a plastic ziplock bag or something similar. Cut the filets into nice size squares and throw it in the bag. Throw in your favorite seasonings. I like to use fresh ones myself. Basil, thyme and rosemary I think work the best. The fresh basil really good and gives it a sweet taste which offsets the rosemary. I then add a little vinegar and some olive oil. Make sure everything is coated. Seal up the bag and put it in the fridge for at least an hour or two. I prefer overnight.

Once your fish has marinated overnight, chop up some veggies. I like carrots, celery and the like, but go with your favorites. You cant go wrong. Add these to the bag and give it a good shake to cover the just added veggies.

Now eat the bag.

Enjoy!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Didn't see that one coming....!

GeordyBass
09-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Now eat the bag.

Enjoy!

ooooh,my favorite carp recipe....LOL

SOSO
09-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Now eat the bag.

Enjoy!

Good one....

~larissa
09-04-2008, 06:45 AM
99 Ranch Market has a lot of them alive for sale.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

99 Ranch will fry it for you too... with seasoning salt too !!! :Secret::Envious:

Hitts0n
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I know lots of people who love to eat LMB!!

troutdog
01-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I know lots of people who love to eat LMB!!

Did you seriously eat a 9lb bass? :Beat Stick:

Your lucky I hadn't heard that until now...I would have never let your sorry ar$e fish with me :ROFL:

TD

sansou
01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Totally NCB.

(Not Cool Bro)

Kareem Korn
01-29-2009, 09:29 AM
LMB are as good as any other fish. Don't let anyone tell you different. It's best to C&R these fish as much as possible tho. If it's gut hooked, torn gills, etc... and you know it won't live, it's best to harvest it. Cook it like you do any fish. I wouldn't bring a stringer full up the ramp to a full parking lot of sparkly boats.

Ifishtoolittle
02-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Personally bass doesn't taste so good. I tried a steamed version of it and man bluegills and stripers are way better. But then again I think a beer battered Bass might be good J/K :LOL:.

jonshibata
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd rather have panfish any day. Bluegill and crappie are excellent. So is catfish! Leave the bass alone. Not particularly good eating as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I have tried a few way back in the day, but in recent memory bass are only C&R for me.

Jig-Guy
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Bluegill are the best deep fried. Corn meal salt & pepper! I have ate LMB but cats,crappie, bluegill and stiper are way better. Bluegill #1

Troutman65
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I ate a LMB once . I did not care for the tast. trout, CATFISH , panfish are better tasting IMHO.

Daryl
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

99 Ranch will fry it for you too... with seasoning salt too !!! :Secret::Envious:

I just could not do it...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/daryladams2/IMG_0022-1.jpg

BIGRED KILLA
04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
I just could not do it...

You should have got them and put them in to balboa lake.

Bigred

trashetanush
04-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I yet have to catch a LMB. But i wouldn't take it home since so many say it tastes bad. As for those Live LMB, I would buy a few, dig up a nice pond to keep catfish/LMB.

Hitts0n
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
you should have bought them all and killed them !

The Angler
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
you should have bought them all and killed them !

Haha yea that would have been the right choice:EyePop:

jim532
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
So if i show up at 99 ranch with a weigh-in bag, and a live well in my car to transport them, will they give them bass to me alive?

fishinone
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
So if i show up at 99 ranch with a weigh-in bag, and a live well in my car to transport them, will they give them bass to me alive?

Finally, a true sportsman.:ROFL:

At that price, enough for a tourney win could put you in the hole after winnings.

BrownTrout
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
i tried one from ranch 99 and i happen to like LMB. we used to eat them in nebraska and texas. i dont think id eat any from most bodies of water around so cal. the water in most places is just too dirty and many populations obviously cant handle that kind of pressure here. in rural areas where the fish are plentiful wild LMB and catfish get fried up mmmmm.

dragonrpc
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I have tasted LMB once many years ago, and like the others, its one of the least flavorfull fish.

but, for the receipe, Those season bags work great, as one user stated, cut in thin strips or blocks (shake the bag) and fry in pan, good for any fish.

Crappie/Bluegil/Trout still the best fresh water for eating to me.

Skyler
04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
I love how all the bass guys talk about how terrible LMB tastes, lol. Not too biased are we, lol? Seriously, it tastes as good as any other white meat fish. But like most fish, it will only taste as good as the lake it came from. For instance, I won't eat bass from Perris if you paid me, but the bass from Silverwood taste great, and I'll take one or two per year for the table. Either way, like i've said before, if EVERYBODY C&Red EVERY bass they caught, our fisheries would suffer and we would end up fishing for dinky bass that won't bite. Just like most wildlife managment, you've gotta thin the herd to produce trophies.

As for a recipe, anything with beer batter involved works great with LMB. I've baked them before too, but frying 'em in tempura or beer batter is where it's at. Just ask Gary. I'm sure he'll agree, he he.

TShaffer
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
In my experience the big ones don't taste nearly as good as the small ones.

Hog Caller
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Being from Texas, we grew up eating LMB and loved them. Nothing like waking up, going out to the lake and catching a few then break out the .22 cal, pop a few squirrels and...presto! Yummy southern fried delicious meal. The crunchy fried tails were worth fighting over...lol

H/C

BrownTrout
05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Being from Texas, we grew up eating LMB and loved them. Nothing like waking up, going out to the lake and catching a few then break out the .22 cal, pop a few squirrels and...presto! Yummy southern fried delicious meal. The crunchy fried tails were worth fighting over...lol

H/C

man i love squirrel meat. it has been over 10 years since i had any. i am from the big thicket in the southeastern part of TX. we would go camping and bring not much more than a .22 and a few fishing rods and stay for 2-3 days. man i miss country life. there is plenty of wild fish and game and people wont ***** a brick if they see you with bass on a stringer. what part of TX are you from hog caller? thats another thing, fresh slow smoked wild hogs.mmmmmm

FISHNCHIPS
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Bass are great table fare but you've got to remove the skin. Fillet down to the tail without cutting all the way through at the end,then flip the fillet the opposite direction of the fish and run the knife along inside of skin from the tail end. Turn the fish over and repeat. Remove bones and you have a boneless,skinless fillet that is ready for a hot pan and some lemon pepper.
There is a lot of misplaced peer pressure about keeping bass. No different than keeping a catfish except that there are folks that don't want you to so that they can catch them.
I did toss my roosterfish back

swimbait101
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
LMB can taste sweet if you steam it

kelly k
05-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Man!, You guys are making me hungry, When I lived in Indiana taking a few LMB was not a big deal as it is out here. I would filet them and melt some butter and add lemon and salt and brown on both sides, some of the best tasting bass came out of a private pond(3 acre size) on a farm that had a stream running into it and outflow into the fields.

Hitts0n
05-11-2009, 09:18 AM
you guys should have a huge LMB fish fry ! I'll bring the beer.Set a date !

JoeCali
06-17-2009, 03:09 AM
althought its a ***** to clean, LMB is a good white flesh fish to fry up. after u gut, scale, de-head & de-fin the beast (i leave skin on) and depending on size you can filet it or leave whole. season this bad boy with salt and pepper and roll him around in corn meal. dip him in hot oil and after 'bout 7 mins turn it over. when the fish is golden brown, remove and drain. drizzle some lime over him and serve with rice. some good eating...:Wink: i practice cnr but every once in a while i cne. peace out

ghetto dad
06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
:ROFL::ROFL:This thread has turned Redneck....LOL....squirrel and coon huntin y all

GD

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
From my experiences of eating LMB I have found that if the bass are taken from COLD water the fish is tastes better than form Warm waters. Just my 2 cents.:Envious:

ghetto dad
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
From my experiences of eating LMB I have found that if the bass are taken from COLD water the fish is tastes better than form Warm waters. Just my 2 cents.:Envious:

since when have you been picky about eating anything brother...!!:ROFL:

GD

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
since when have you been picky about eating anything brother...!!:ROFL:

GD

Ha Ha very funny GD. you really should quite your day job and start a stand up routine at night.