PDA

View Full Version : 5/25 - Victory

Gmoney
05-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, here is the short and dirty of a short-notice quick trip on Sunday
As i was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to do I got a message from Osiito and Victor to hit up the Victory out of LB.

The Boat departs at 7 so i decided to arrive around 5:30 to make sure i get a good parking spot....Doh! They were already gone due to the 6:00 boaters. I parked under the bridge, met the boyz, and prepared for a nice day.

Extremely overcast with what appeared to be dark heavy rains around us for the entire morning. The afternoon seemed to brighten up a bit although we did see some more wind/chop

Captain George was leading the way today and indicated that we would be targeting barracuda in the morning then probably try for sculpin and sand bass later in the day....sounds like fun to me. It was a very light load. I'm guessing less than 15, with the majority of people using spinner set ups or rental gear. I’m glad that my first real day for tossing iron this year would be on a light load boat.

The first stop had us pretty close to some other moo moos and we could see some smaller boils here and there. Several of our anglers either went straight to the bottom fishing or only tossed jigs for a short while. Even with the light load, and the bottom fishermen....there was iron going every which way with lots of tangles. Everyone wanted to be in the same spot to toss at the boils......what a zoo. I’m glad it mellowed out pretty quick then we could really start letting the jigs fly. This was also my first time really casting the Torium as far as I could. I tossed a medium sized megabait and let it fly. I have not been casting conventional setups very much but I was happy with the day’s outcome. All casts were very straight with about 2 in 5 really taking off - wahoooo. Yes, I had a few birds nest that slowed me down sometimes but it wasn’t that bad.
It wasn’t long before the cudas were coming over the rail....I don’t know how many and it wasn’t wide open, but they were there. My first one was pretty good size and I lost it at the boat cuz I wasn’t sure if the crew wanted to gaff it or have me bounce it over....damn!!! I ended up with 1 legal, 2 shorts, and 1 lost. Then the bite died.

The folks that opted for fishing the bottom at the first spot were rewarded as well...Oz hit a nice sand bass and real nice scully. Our friend Mitchell hooked into a nice halibut going about 30 to 34 inches and maybe 12-13 lbs sweeeeeeeeet (Can you say Jackpot?)
The next stop was dead then we decided to move again for a wide open sculpin bite (for us). The BBFC helped the other anglers fill their sacks, helped other anglers with tangles, and tied rigs for others as well. Oz and victor were nailing them left and right. Oz and his fluorescent yellow lead head was off the hook deadly and every sculpin he pulled up was of the bigger models.

That was pretty much it for the rest of the day...we tried several spots for very little action.

Even with such a light load, and the high prices of gas, it was nice to see Captain working hard to get on some good spots. Very tough job in the afternoon as the wind, currents and chop all seemed to get stronger as the afternoon progressed.

Osiito and Victor - As always you guys are excellent fishing partners. Looking forward to the next time!!

Captain George - we all appreciate everything. Thanks for making this an enjoyable trip. It’s always nice to get out on the water and even better when you got a Captain that goes the extra mile for his group. Props to the Victory

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend...time to get on to the "honey-dos"

Laters
G$

Oz
05-26-2008, 02:41 PM
pleasure to fish with u again G$ and vic-ol-aaaaaa :LOL:

lol vic was struggling on the skullies man..i think i caught limits for like 5 people on the boat :LOL: i was a skullie magnet yesterday :cool:

thats cool u got ya bonie tho G...i hope i get one this summer.

there was like 9 anglers plus the crew fishing :Rolls Eyes: kinda sad they didnt help anyone take there fish off there hooks. i had to help people do it and the capt had to come down also.

k3vin_kim
05-26-2008, 03:17 PM
way to go HGH money~!

Yeah, I spotted the Victory out on the shoe when we were out there as well.

Captain George has a great operation too. Victory is one of my favorite boats cuz it's the boat that popped my newb cherry.

Whens the next trip guys?

WHere's the pics?

cappo
05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
sounds like it was a good trip. Sorry I couldn't make it guys. Next time.
Do any of you guys have a camera, wtf.

JapanRon
05-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi Gmoney,

Way to go on the gar !! As always ... nice report !! Yes, the Victory does generally have light loads presently and there's plenty of room to sling iron and for that matter bounce your fishy.

Generally speaking, once the deck has seen you know what you're doing, especially with the light load, bouncing the fishys is ok. Of course the call is the deck/skippers.

With my rods generally not (HD SW Bass rods) up to bouncing a 9 or ten pound fishy over the rail w/braid I have the deck gaff my fishy.

I'm sure you use heavier gear !!

thanks,

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
05-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Sweet report. Way to go on them barries and scully's.

victor101
05-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for posting the report G-money. The morning barracuda bite was alright. i must have caught about 6 shorts ranging from 24-27 1/2 inches LOL. no legals for me this trip. However, I had a blast catching them on the megabait. I ended up with 6 short barracuda, 1 short hali(about 16"), 2 sandbass(On the jig), and 5 sculpin- 4 of which i caught on my own (thanks oz for completing my limit and everyone elses...LOL) I cant wait til the summer bite is in full swing.

Oz and Gmoney, I had a great time fishing with you guys again. We have got to get the whole crew together for an overnighter sometime soon.

Funjunkie74
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey G$! Great report!!
Glad you guys got out to fish!! Especially Vic, who only gets to go once a year!!

But I do have to agree with Cappo and Kev...WHERE THE ---L are the pics?
There had to have been funny moments or memorable moments?? No??

Oh...I see...now I understand...there were no Asians in the group!!! LOL!!!

FJ74

one_leg
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
G-honey, how come you always cheat on me when I go trouting?

See what you get when you leave me at the dock. No parking spot for you!

Maybe on the over nighter you'll pick me up? Then you can listen to me all the way there and back.
I'll tell you about all the fish we are gonna catch on the way down, and all the ones we missed when we are coming home.

I wish I coulda watched you hurl that IRON all day. I heard JapanRon's story about a young deckhand getting a piercing long before they were cool. I was worried that you might lose a lobe or two out there. Good job coming back in one piece.

Alan

Gmoney
05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh...I see...now I understand...there were no Asians in the group!!! LOL!!!
FJ74

bwahahah - i wasnt gonna say it :ROFL:
I have to take full responsibility for no pix....i took a photo of oz and vic then the camera never came out again....MY BAD! then when it came to report time....i was to lazy to open a photobucket acct. for one picture....this will be taken care of by the next report time :cool:

vic - im glad ya posted...i didnt know what you ended up with for the day so i figured id let you chime in

thanks to everyone for the replies

always good to fish with friends

laters
G$

Gmoney
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
G-honey, how come you always cheat on me when I go trouting?

See what you get when you leave me at the dock. No parking spot for you!

Maybe on the over nighter you'll pick me up? Then you can listen to me all the way there and back.
I'll tell you about all the fish we are gonna catch on the way down, and all the ones we missed when we are coming home.

I wish I coulda watched you hurl that IRON all day. I heard JapanRon's story about a young deckhand getting a piercing long before they were cool. I was worried that you might lose a lobe or two out there. Good job coming back in one piece.

Alan

duuuuude
tell me you didnt just say G-Honey
sheeesh this can only go down hill from here

regarding the overnighter.....you can roll with me provided you chip in for gas.....and ear plugs for everyone in the car!!
;)

G-NoHoney

troutdog
05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Good times out the Salt....wtg out there Gmoney, with the water heating up I will be looking to get out there really soon. Hit me up sometime, thanks for the report!

TD

Troutman65
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
G Honey :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Nice report brother. Its almost warm enough for me to be making some trips out on the salt soon.:Envious:

TM65

ghetto dad
05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Great report G, glad you made it out.....thanks man...

btw, take me off that overnighter, i cant make it man....you guys have fun slaying this summer

GD