PDA

View Full Version : Bat Ray Out of the SURF?!? Another Wingnut's First on Sunday 5/25

Wingnut
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM
After a good night's sleep, I'm fully recovered from the shock of being spooled by I don't know what :confused: on Saturday fishing with Flyngby (Steve) and his son Brad in the Newport Harbor. Steve will post a detail report and I will add pics & comments once it is up.

Headed out this morning by myself to a spot that a Santa Barbara local FNN member sent me the GPS coordinates via PM. Thank you for the gesture, you know who you are. ;) :cool: :Secret:

Punched the coordinates into my Garmin Colorado 400C, hopped into my car and about 90 minutes later, I was standing on the spot looking out at the surf line.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture-16.jpg

7:00am low tide. Since it was my first time here, I wanted to come during low tide to scope out all the structures that this area has to offer. I have fished North and South of this spot before so I was already familiar with the local tidal & surf conditions. Overcast skies, water clarity fair with some salad in the water. Got a water temperature reading of 60.2 F degrees with my trusty William Joseph gizmo, just point at the water, push the button & the laser gives you a reading... cool.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture002-27.jpg

Started the morning throwing the 5/8 Krocodile and caught three small BSPs in about half an hour. I noticed a few "Grey Ghosts" cruising the shallows searching for food. A couple of them looked like they were about 15 inches! Need to pay a visit here again with my fly rod.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture016-7.jpg

Switched to the LC and promptly nailed a couple of short Butts in a matter of fifteen minutes. No legals today but some Butts is better than no Butts at all. ;)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture004-21.jpg

About an hour later as I was pulling the LC through the surf I felt pressure on the line and swung the rod hard. There was no suspense in guessing what the fish was because at the instant I set the hook, the fish came up to the surface and made a huge splash. I saw the tips of its wings flopping and immediately knew that it was a Bat Ray. And there it goes, ripping line off the reel on the initial run. The Ray took about fifty yards of my #10 without even stopping, that's almost half of my spool. For the minute or so on that run, I HAD to get a bendo shot.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-29.jpg

I applied constant pressure and eventually got the Ray turned. After the initial run, most of the fight consist of just pulling dead weight with a few short sporadic runs here and there. Most of the twenty minute battle was spent right near the shoreline trying to get the thing past the last set of surf. It's like reeling in a parachute in the water. :Evil: I couldn't grab it by the tail and didn't want to kick it onto the shore. Finally, I reached down, stuck my finger in one of its nostrils and dragged it on the beach. I thought that I snagged it but the thing actually tried to eat the LC... hooked right on the mouth. :Shocked: The spine was fully intact, yikes! Had a local resident walking his dog snapped a quick pic for me and back into the water it went... my first Bat Ray. :D
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-24.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture004-23.jpg

I know that this Bat Ray isn't even in the same class compared to the monsters that Steel Gary and TroutDog have caught, but I would guess that it's in the 25-30lb class. Wingnut Pug is 20 pounds and this fish feels much heavier than that... any guesstimates? ;) Check another species off my list.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture003-26.jpg

Worked the LC for a bit longer without any takers so I switched to a 3 1/2" swimbait. Caught a few more BSPs but the Flatties bite went into hibernation. :LOL: I did manage to snag this strange looking Ray right on the belly... how the heck did that happen?!? Did it try to hump my swimbait? :confused:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-28.jpg

Decided to head for home. Got plenty of action for the morning and added another spot to my "go to" list. ;)
On the way back to the parking lot I notice massive beds of Sandcrabs. There were literally thousands of them rippling the sand when the surf draws out. Just a couple of scoops of my hand yielded these candy baits. That's why I saw all those Corbinas cruising the shallows earlier this morning. I was very tempted to stay and stick a few of these Sandcrabs on a hook to see what I can get, but all I brought were artificials today, oh well...next time.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture002-25.jpg

The artificials of choice for the morning.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture004-24.jpg

182 miles round trip... and NO MORE speeding tickets! :LOL: Well worth it. :cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-30.jpg

It was a very relaxing three hours in the surf. Glad I have something new to share with all of you. :D

Let's see what else Poseidon may have in store for me... ;) Until next time, happy Memorial Day everybody.

Arthur (Wingnut) :Envious:

"I love winners when they cry... and losers when they try."

rusty6
05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
i've caught some smaller bats out of the surf before, but up here in morro on a clear water day, i can see some HUGE bats when im out in the lineup surfing.

soulsurfer
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
You have all the cool toys Arthur........excellent catch on the bat ray. Didn't know that they hit the lure.

Soul

OnDaHunt4Fish
05-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Its about time you posted one of your adventures again,Thanks

SoCalGuy7
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Fun day out on the surf....I need to stop reading your saltwater reports...:LOL:
It's making me think of starting to surf fish....:confused:

SCG7

troutdog
05-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Great post as always Arthur, that ray musta been a blast fighting in the surf....and on the artificial to boot! You think it mighta went 20lbs or so? Kinda tough to gauge those suckahs. That water temp device is incredible, technology never ceases to amaze me. We got to wet a line together sometime this summer, keep the sweet reports coming buddy!

TD

doyoufishmuch
05-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Very nice job! It's always great to have a productive day at a new spot.:) Especially when its a trek to get there..

tacklejunkie
05-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Very nice! Must have been crazy man! Good work on the new species ;)

Spear Hunter
05-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Wingnut

That unidentified ray that you caught looks like a Torpedo Ray also know as a Pacific Electric Ray. Google it and see what you think. I've seen big ones diving at Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands. And it looks like one. Hope it didn't shock you.

SanDimasLMB
05-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Nice job again Wingnut.

BTW, did you mean "grey ghosts" as in WSB or Corbina?

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2008, 05:38 AM
nice job out there in the surf...ya betta watch out..... your already getting the "feva!" those bat rays are one helluva blast ! I don't care what anyone says.....SOME GOOD CLEAN FUN !

The fight is a blast ! I congratulate you !

In the surf I'll bet that was a challenging fight....great work.

I'm no expert at photos but that looks to be in the 18 to 25 lb class but it's always hard to tell....doesn't matter what the exact weight is...It's a toad in my book.....I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome work out there, great catches as always !

Salute....watch out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....when ya hang into another Ray....I might just be on the end of it !!!!!!!
Ha Ha !

Salute,
Gary

blackwater
05-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Great job out there Nut!
I'll be back fishing with you in June!

fishmounter
05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
We have caught several Bat Rays in Newport Harbor on various lures during the day and at night. They will eat small fish, dead or alive, if they can catch them. That one ray is a Thornback. A pretty common fish here in So Cal. Looks like you had a great time bro!

ROTO_ROOTER
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
ok where are you going that looks to much fun ??

steve092
05-27-2008, 05:28 AM
You really got the surf dialed in Wingnut.

Good job on the bat ray man.

FishNFurious
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Congrats on another new species added to you ever growing list Art. :Cool:

Brian_GSC
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da BAT MAN!

Another great report as always!!!

flyngby
05-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Arthur,

Seems like you were up before and off again before I could even put my boat to bed!!!!!!!;)
You were able to get a post up from your Solo Sunday before I was able to start my Post from our get together on Saturday!!!

Congrats on the 2 new species from the surf for you!!!!

The little guy is a Thornback Ray, Brad and I have caught many of then at the Balboa Pier and at some of the NPH Docks.

:confused: HMMMMMMMMMM! A Bat Ray on a hard Bait??????? Maybe we need to revisit our conversation over you getting spooled on the soft bait yesterday. :Wink:

You were probably not aware that yesterday I had Brad drive the boat to the spot by the nice Catamaran in hopes of seeing you get on a Big Bat as well as what I had told you that there were some nice Flatties there.

Great Report as always!!!!!!!!!

Look forward to a day we can hook up one your turf next time.

Thanks for the time together yesterday!!!!!!

Steve and Brad

Badbeat
05-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh yeahhhh! Somebody get a fire extinguisher, Wingnut is ON FIRE! :D

Nice Bat Ray Art. :cool:

Troutman65
05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Wingnut, that camo Team 57 Winnut hat is :cool:.

Congrats on your catch.Thanks for the report and pics.

Troutman65

Wingnut
05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
i've caught some smaller bats out of the surf before, but up here in morro on a clear water day, i can see some HUGE bats when im out in the lineup surfing.
Don't those things make you nervous seeing them near you while surfing? They look really majestic & docile, but I hear they can be dangerous. :Shocked:

You have all the cool toys Arthur........excellent catch on the bat ray. Didn't know that they hit the lure.
Soul
I consider all my toys... tools of the trade. ;)
I hooked the thing right on the mouth, so I must assume that it made an attempt to take the lure. Strange, and I always thought that they were scavengers.

Its about time you posted one of your adventures again,Thanks
Stay tuned... there's more to come. ;) :D

Fun day out on the surf....I need to stop reading your saltwater reports...:LOL:
It's making me think of starting to surf fish....:confused:
SCG7
Starting surf fishing isn't a bad thing... you may actually like it. :D

Great post as always Arthur, that ray musta been a blast fighting in the surf....and on the artificial to boot! You think it mighta went 20lbs or so? Kinda tough to gauge those suckahs. That water temp device is incredible, technology never ceases to amaze me. We got to wet a line together sometime this summer, keep the sweet reports coming buddy!
TD
Most of the fight was right at the shoreline trying to get that thing on the beach, pretty tough with the surf. Our roads will cross in the surf one of these days Aaron. Gotta love all the electronic gizmos they got available to us fishermen nowadays. :cool:

Very nice job! It's always great to have a productive day at a new spot.:) Especially when its a trek to get there..
It was definitely worth the drive. I'd do it again! :D

Very nice! Must have been crazy man! Good work on the new species ;)
Pretty wild stuff there T.J. It surprised the heck out of me.

Wingnut
That unidentified ray that you caught looks like a Torpedo Ray also know as a Pacific Electric Ray. Google it and see what you think. I've seen big ones diving at Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands. And it looks like one. Hope it didn't shock you.
It was a Bat Ray, but I'm glad that it wasn't an Electric Ray. :Shocked:
Scary to think of being shocked & stunned in the surf.

Nice job again Wingnut.
BTW, did you mean "grey ghosts" as in WSB or Corbina?
"Grey Ghost" is a term used for Corbina. "Ghosts" is the term used for White Sea Bass. What I saw was a bunch of Corbinas cruising the shallows looking for Sandcrabs. Their tails were sticking out of the water at times. Very cool looking.

nice job out there in the surf...ya betta watch out..... your already getting the "feva!" those bat rays are one helluva blast ! I don't care what anyone says.....SOME GOOD CLEAN FUN !
The fight is a blast ! I congratulate you !
In the surf I'll bet that was a challenging fight....great work.
I'm no expert at photos but that looks to be in the 18 to 25 lb class but it's always hard to tell....doesn't matter what the exact weight is...It's a toad in my book.....I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome work out there, great catches as always !
Salute....watch out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....when ya hang into another Ray....I might just be on the end of it !!!!!!!
Ha Ha !
Salute,
Gary
I can't even imagine what a 50lb class Bat Ray would do to my gear in the surf. Probably won't even stand a chance on 10lbs test... spooled for sure. Got spooled in the NPH by what I now think is a Bat Ray. :Evil:
That is a monster SNGF that you got by the way. :Shocked: Just getting that thing off the ocean floor is an accomplishment, let alone landing it, great job!

Great job out there Nut!
I'll be back fishing with you in June!
Promises, promises... I'm not the one passing up the hot action Phuong. ;)

We have caught several Bat Rays in Newport Harbor on various lures during the day and at night. They will eat small fish, dead or alive, if they can catch them. That one ray is a Thornback. A pretty common fish here in So Cal. Looks like you had a great time bro!
There must be so many species of Rays in the water. I would think that the SNGF would be classified as a Ray, but it's classified as a Shark. I wonder why?

ok where are you going that looks to much fun ??
The Pacific Ocean. ;) :Envious:

You really got the surf dialed in Wingnut.
Good job on the bat ray man.
A little bit of research & a little bit of hard work goes a long way. ;)

Congrats on another new species added to you ever growing list Art. :Cool:
That is one of the reasons why I love fishing the salt. You never really know for certain what ya gonna get.

da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da BAT MAN!
Another great report as always!!!
Steel Gary is the Bat Man... one Bat Ray from the surf is considered a fluke, or luck. ;)

Arthur,
Seems like you were up before and off again before I could even put my boat to bed!!!!!!!;)
You were able to get a post up from your Solo Sunday before I was able to start my Post from our get together on Saturday!!!
Congrats on the 2 new species from the surf for you!!!!
The little guy is a Thornback Ray, Brad and I have caught many of then at the Balboa Pier and at some of the NPH Docks.
:confused: HMMMMMMMMMM! A Bat Ray on a hard Bait??????? Maybe we need to revisit our conversation over you getting spooled on the soft bait yesterday. :Wink:
You were probably not aware that yesterday I had Brad drive the boat to the spot by the nice Catamaran in hopes of seeing you get on a Big Bat as well as what I had told you that there were some nice Flatties there.
Great Report as always!!!!!!!!!
Look forward to a day we can hook up on your turf next time.
Thanks for the time together yesterday!!!!!!
Steve and Brad
The difference is that you had to work Sunday morning and I didn't Steve. ;) Catching that Ray from the surf was a complete surprise. You may be absolutely right, that might have been a big Ray that spooled me in the harbor on Saturday. I wouldn't have believed that they will take artificials unless I caught one myself. Let me know the next time you are available on a weekend. You & Brad can hit the surf with both Mike (Kichigai1) and myself. :D Thanks again for being a great host on Saturday. :cool:

Oh yeahhhh! Somebody get a fire extinguisher, Wingnut is ON FIRE! :D
Nice Bat Ray Art. :cool:
Put the fire extinguishers away... I like it hot! :Envious:

Wingnut, that camo Team 57 Wingnut hat is :cool:.
Congrats on your catch.Thanks for the report and pics.
Troutman65
Thanks Patrick, hope everything is good on your end buddy. :Envious:

Nhatster
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Look out for that stinger bro, wouldn't want to read another Steve Irwin story. :LOL: I don't think that any species of fish is safe from you. :Twisted:

FishNFurious
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Yo Art, where did you get all your Team 57 caps & stuff. I got the shirt that you gave me but I want a cap like the ones that you & Blackwater has. :cool:

You called it on the game last night man, impressive as usual. I followed your bet and won. :Twisted: :D

Wingnut
05-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Look out for that stinger bro, wouldn't want to read another Steve Irwin story. :LOL: I don't think that any species of fish is safe from you. :Twisted:
That's why I didn't grab it by the tail to drag it out of the surf. Took forever to get that thing beached, and it was only a small one.
I'm adding species fast! ;)

Yo Art, where did you get all your Team 57 caps & stuff. I got the shirt that you gave me but I want a cap like the ones that you & Blackwater has. :cool:
You called it on the game last night man, impressive as usual. I followed your bet and won. :Twisted: :D
I get them custom made from Ebay. Just search under "Personalized Caps" and a few vendors will pop up. You can get just about anything personalized on Ebay.
I just got home from the game tonight, another exciting comeback win. Just follow me throughout the playoffs Vince, you'll do more than okay. ;) :Secret: