PDA

View Full Version : Long beach wall Out of gas!

vince champion
05-24-2008, 12:27 AM
So on 5-22-08 thursday, I decided to get my lines wet despite the weather condition. My last experience fishing with a cloudy cold front did very well. So hoping today will be just as good, i called 2 friends to come along with me. With rain coming our way i decided to change my trailer tires before i head out. They were suppose to be done with my tires by 10am but did not finish until 1pm! gosh they took forever. Since they took forever i checked my gas gauge on the boat and it read 3/4 so i figured that will be enough gas so i went straight for lb.

Now we got the lb around 230 got half a scoop of bait and headed to our spot. Fishing was what i expected. Every cast produce or got a bite. We caught fish non stop it was WFO! Nice size calico and sand bass was coming over with some mix WSB Youngen. (i believe they are wsb). Despite the strong cold winds fishing was at its best.

Now here comes the nasty/hard part. Last night i ate some very hot food with alot of chili and my stumache been acting up. At 2:30 when we arrive at lb, my stumache ache was minor so i ignored it, and just wanted to fish. But now it was close to 5pm. My stumache is going off and i need to use the RR asap. My friend kept saying 5 more mins 5 more mins so knowing me im mr nice guy and just sat there with the worst stumache ache ever and about to burst. LOL Finally 5:30 we head started to head back in. We got to the 5 mph bouy @ the southshore launch ramp (in front of queen mary) thats when i first notice my motor bogging. Yup you guessed it we ran out of gas!!!! My gauge says i have 1/8 of gas left right above the E. But i changed my gas tank sensor recently and have never ran it this low before. So i was out of gas and needed to drop #2 off really bad. Since im a member of sea tow i called them but they said it will take them 45 min. Now i held my stumache for over 3 hours and i cant hold it any longer. My friend made a toilet seat out of one of my ice chest and told me to just drop it in there. LOL i can never do that so i didnt. Luckily the current was drifting us back near the rocks towards the marina. So i told them to paddle closer and well drop the anchor 20 -25 ft away from the rocks and slowly release the rope to bring us closer to the rocks so i can jump out. That is exactly what we did. Its dangerous but it was an emergency. I hopped out and ran to the restroom and oo man it felt good. LOL

Maybe i shouldnt go into too much details but I just had to tell you this story. I took a shot of the boat as i was walking back towards the boat. I also took a few shots of fishes we caught. Didnt take as many pix as usual cause fishing was soo hot! All fish was release except 5 bass.

oo ya, Sea tow came 15 mins after i got back on the boat and towed us in. They provided professional service and are very friendly nice people. I would highly recommend them.

Here are some pix.

white sea bass?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe9x5Du3xI/AAAAAAAAAkI/NCa_-tm4Ic8/Photo_052208_001.jpg?imgmax=800

http://lh5.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe9x5Du30I/AAAAAAAAAkg/jQEz9_CZuFU/Photo_052208_005.jpg?imgmax=800

Hammer? or guitar?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe9x5Du3yI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/c4kjNQhpguA/Photo_052208_003.jpg?imgmax=800

Calico
http://lh5.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe9x5Du31I/AAAAAAAAAko/LqQ5O5CVe8E/Photo_052208_006.jpg?imgmax=800

My baby 2050 striper
http://lh3.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe-CZDu32I/AAAAAAAAAk0/KmjGIGa1BGg/Photo_052208_007.jpg?imgmax=800

http://lh3.ggpht.com/vannyik/SDe-CZDu34I/AAAAAAAAAlE/iHaOh7pDzbA/Photo_052208_010.jpg?imgmax=800

JSAUCE818
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
oh snap,..congrats on the WSB and Calico.....thanks for the report and pics..

Tail Chaser
05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
After catching some Sand Bass. I would think dropping a #2 in the ice chest could be very informative.
Then we would know for sure if Sand Bass really are TURD ROLLERS. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the report.
Good job on the fishys.
Water is sure flat at the breakwall.
There were reports of boats in the 35' range at Catalina not being able to make the crossing back to the mainland.

Stormcrow
05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
LOL that was a great report! Thanks!!

GuiltyByAssociation
05-24-2008, 01:39 AM
hahaha that was funny as hell, I think we all have had that happen one point in out fishing lives. Well look at the bright side you guys got into some good fishing and RELEASING (lol).:LOL:

vince champion
05-24-2008, 03:09 AM
tail chaser, the wind was kickin when we got there but died down slowly until around 5ish when we left it totally died out for a good 10 mins and picked up slowly again. That is why that one picture with the wsb it looks so calm. It was like a lake for that 10 mins.

wow 35' couldnt make it accross... The waves at the outter side of the break wall was slamming hard it actually came over the wall at times.

storm crow, lol glad you enjoyed it, i shoulda taken a picture of the toilet seat my friend made. On my boat there is a small 12x6 ice chest that sits about 1 feet up. Its like a perfect toilet if you ever need to go. LOL

guilty, no doubt it was good fishing and for sure really good releasing. LOl My a hole never took that much pain before... thats all i can say. HAHA

tight lines vince.

boxl0bster
05-24-2008, 06:31 AM
lol dude, i wish i was there to fish that wfo bite and also to laugh my *** off. haha.:p sorry i couldnt make it man, i had a bad night too much ice tea and i couldnt sleep till 8am. by the time i got your text i was knocked out. let me know next tiem you go out. :)

p.s. go easy on the sriracha man lol

fightfan
05-24-2008, 09:10 AM
me and my father in law ran out of gas at that wall once too but we didn't have diarehea....just a tow

you should've pooped in the water to chum

good job on the catch man

Brian_GSC
05-24-2008, 09:12 AM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Probably a good thing you didn't drop a duce on the boat...your buddy would have taken a picture of you doing it! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Great job on the wfo bite!!!

chris
05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
that's too funny. i'm glad everthing made it out where it's supposed too.

fish.guizar
05-24-2008, 09:47 AM
wow!!!! bet u had a great time ......

Tail Chaser
05-24-2008, 10:08 AM
tail chaser, the wind was kickin when we got there but died down slowly until around 5ish when we left it totally died out for a good 10 mins and picked up slowly again. That is why that one picture with the wsb it looks so calm. It was like a lake for that 10 mins.

wow 35' couldnt make it accross... The waves at the outter side of the break wall was slamming hard it actually came over the wall at times.

tight lines vince.
There was a guy at Catalina friday. Guess he had a computer on his 35'er. He was keeping people informed on a PVT Boat website. Boats could get 3 miles from Cat, Then Have to return. The marine forecast called for potential water spouts and lightning hitting the water.
A 64' Sportfisher said at 9kts he was taking spray by the oil platforms.

JapanRon
05-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi vince champion,

Geez .... I didn't know you had it in you?! Out of gas !! wow .... glad your all safe and boat intact !! Wonder if a kicker wouldn't be in order?

When in my floattube I use my right foot/fin all the time but always have my left one right there ...... just in case !

Did I mention Kudos on the excellent report/re-accounting of your catching ... gas problem ... and maybe gas problem.

Do PBer's carry air freshners in their emergency kits?

JapanRon

Tail Chaser
05-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi vince champion,
Do PBer's carry air freshners in their emergency kits?

JapanRon

No..... We just move upwind of the Cattle Boats :LOL:

Cap'n Ron
05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
No..... We just move upwind of the Cattle Boats :LOL:

LMAO and sprayed my screen!

Cap'n Ron
05-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey TailChaser.

Catalina WSB is going off.
Tanks are full.

You up for it?

Hitts0n
05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Whats up R0n long time no see.Congrats on your fishes! Thanks for the report!

Cap'n Ron
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Hitts man,

No fish yet, busting to go out sun or mon.

Greg Madrigal
05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
LOL! That was a great report!!! I too am glad u didn't soil yerself waiting for Sea Tow! LOL!

Nice job on the Jr. WSB and calis. Curious? Have any info on where u fished, water temps there, and bait types?

Thankxs. GM<><

Tail Chaser
05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey TailChaser.

Catalina WSB is going off.
Tanks are full.

You up for it?
For Sunday? Your boat? Its Midnight now. Would have gone for sure if I would have known earlier.
I'm Picking up my PEX tubing for the hot/cold water washdown and
Primer/Paint in MDR on Sunday.
My boat should be ready for a Channel Islands WSB hunt on Thursday. May stay till Sunday.

vince champion
05-25-2008, 01:25 AM
aww im jealous ron going to cat on sunday?!?! You guys are lucky imma have to wait for a nice sunny barely any winds day to head to cat. Good luck! imma be hitting up horse shoe or wall on sunday hopefully it still be wfo.

greg, i usually fish the inside of the wall occasionally outside. I use live bait mainly dines and chovies.

Tail Chaser
05-25-2008, 02:30 AM
aww im jealous ron going to cat on sunday?!?! You guys are lucky imma have to wait for a nice sunny barely any winds day to head to cat. Good luck! imma be hitting up horse shoe or wall on sunday hopefully it still be wfo.

greg, i usually fish the inside of the wall occasionally outside. I use live bait mainly dines and chovies.

Horseshoe Kelp is a good fishing area.
There was a 25 lb Halibut caught there on a pvt boat a few days ago.
I'm tempted to take my 8ft 5 HP inflatable out there.
Be thankfull you bought a 20 ft boat.
Compared to what you were looking at with the budget you had in mind.

So Vince,
Did you have to wipe your BUTT on one of them big boulders.:ROFL:

KID CREOLE
05-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice report!

FYI to all, try to never touch white cbass by hand or lay them on a deck, they fisht hard but are very fragile. Most cbass that are touched by dry human hands swim away but usually don't survive release.

SanDimasLMB
05-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Nice job on the WSB! Also, I noticed that your fingers are in the fish's gills. Please handle WSB carfully please, as they are a somewhat exotic species, because of their numbers.

Nice job though!

vince champion
05-26-2008, 01:38 AM
LOL fingers are not in gills, it was still hooked on the side of the mouth we were holding the hook/line so the line wont snap!

tail, If i used the boulder to wipe my "A" i dont think i would be sitting here comfortably typing on fnn. LOL. Ya i got a good deal on my 1995 2050 striper. Im glad i listen to you guys and went with a bigger boat but now.... i want a 26 footer =T A nice 26 with a small cuddy sittin closer up front so i still have a big deck to fish. Cant find any around like that. usually 26 fter are all about the cuddy cabins.

ToadsToadsOnly
05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Got your text about going out I did not think you guys were still going to go with all the weather. Man hopefully I'll get to go out and fish with you soon good job on the bass.

SanDimasLMB
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL fingers are not in gills, it was still hooked on the side of the mouth we were holding the hook/line so the line wont snap!

Oh, my bad then. Just a bad angle I guess.

Nice fish again!

Tail Chaser
05-27-2008, 08:40 PM

tail, If i used the boulder to wipe my "A" i dont think i would be sitting here comfortably typing on fnn. LOL. Ya i got a good deal on my 1995 2050 striper. Im glad i listen to you guys and went with a bigger boat but now.... i want a 26 footer =T A nice 26 with a small cuddy sittin closer up front so i still have a big deck to fish. Cant find any around like that. usually 26 fter are all about the cuddy cabins.

The Pilot house fishing boats (like Parkers) have the cockpits moved forward a bit.
Giving you more room in the back of the boat for fishing.
Being forward also gives you a rougher ride.
Everything is a compromise.

CalamARI
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
When you gotta go, you gotta go.
http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/end-of-the-rainbow.jpg

StoughtyRods
05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Vince.....never depend on the stock fuel guage. They are NEVER accurate. But this is:

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/seriesdetail.php?sid=12

Worth every penny, especially if you take your boat out in the ocean!

THROWBACK RANGER
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
The Best Way To Kill A Short Seabass Is To Let It Hit The Deck!!!!!!!!!!!!

vince champion
05-31-2008, 05:44 PM
tail - god damm parker boats are expensive! lol, i looking into a 2000 26 footer striper or a older 1985ish 30 footers. hopefully i find a good boat for a good price.

stoughty rods - thanks for the info. Will look into getting that on my new boat once i purchase it.

Throwbackranger - Thanks for the information. We dont intentionally leave them on deck sometimes it just happens. But next time ill try my best to not kill wsb by leaving them on deck.

Vince.

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
The catch and release fish that I want a pic of. that I don't want to risk harming.
I pull the fish up close to the boat for the photo session. And take the hook out with the fish still in the water.
Not the best of pics. But gets the job done. And much better chance of them swimming away in perfect health.

I really want to get one of them ARC DEHOOKERS.
Looks like they get the stubborn hooks out pretty easy.
No fingers by the sharp teeth either.

I almost didn't mention the Parker. Due to the prices. If your good at turning wrenches. 24' skipjack good HD boat. There older boats.
Boats over 23' in length go from expensive.
Too crazy expensive.
23' is a good compromise. between offshore ability, lower purchase price, and better mpg.
25' and bigger. Fairly roomy, bitchin offshore ride. And expensive.
Your 20fter is pretty good. Just plan ahead for Catalina trips.

Normalfellow
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Good fishin! Nice pictures too