PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime Legal

Brewfish
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I did something today that I've always wanted to do: try to catch a fish during a normal, one-hour-ish lunch break from work.

Jumped in my car and drove down to East Beach in downtown Santa Barbara. Put on a 3" Big Hammer in Key Lime on a 1/4 oz. leadhead (natural lead color, with eyes) and started casting. Plenty of surf pech taps and then finally, fish on! Turned out to be a decent sized perch, so mission accomplished. Kept casting. More taps, but no connections. At about 12:45 I'm thinking it's time to head back to work, when I get another tap. Fish on! You all know the feeling of how a hookup quickly goes from "another fish" to "nicer fish" to "wow!". This is one of those times. I'm using 8 lb P-line Fluoroclear and it's a little beat up, so I had to back way off on the drag. Took a solid 5 minutes to get him in, but it turned out to be a 25 3/4" halibut; my first legal in years. Gonna be a nice cocktail, dinner and Laker game tonight!

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend. Have fun, be safe, and remember the reasons for celebrating Memorial Day. Oh, and hit the surf!

P.S. Major props to Wingnut for all the great posts. Had to keep this one fish to quell my demons, but I'm going to follow your lead of placating Poseidon by letting the next ones go.

crivera175
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
nice catch:Thumbs Up: thats the best way to spend your lunch:Applause:

Brian_GSC
05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Fishing AND catching on your lunch break? You can't beat that!

Nice flattie! How was the surf?

Stormcrow
05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Very nice to CATCH your lunch while ON your lunch!!!

fish_sauce
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
very nice! way to maximize your time in the water...

i used to fish during my lunch time too when i worked ten minutes from the ocean.

now, its an hour drive for me with no traffic. :(:(:(

troutdog
05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
What a great day, congrats on the legal hali!

Go Lakers!!!!

TD

ikeman
05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Nice lunch Brewfish! Got me thinking of going right now! Have a great weekend and Memorial day. great job!

Tikka
05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice fish!!!!...can't beat that lunchtime or after work fishing!!!!
Tikka

Oz
05-23-2008, 04:56 PM
now thats a nice lunch break to have :cool: congrats on ya first legal of the year.

troutslayer05
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Nice fish Im gonna hit up east beach tommorrow.

Wingnut
05-23-2008, 10:15 PM
A successful "nooner"... love it when that happens. ;) Must be nice working so close to the beach that you can fish on your lunch time. I can only wish. :cool: Congrats on your first of many legals for the year. Enjoy the gift from Poseidon. :D

Brewfish
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks man! Hope to fish with you one of these days.