PDA

View Full Version : 1st Trip to Coronado's

murrieta angler
05-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello All,
Last week decided to go to Coronado's for the first time on my 23' Yamaha SX230 yesterday.
On Wednesday, the 21st, I filled up the tanks in the truck and the boat so I wouldn't need to at 3:00 a.m. in the morning. Yesterday I woke up at 2:00 a.m. chit, showered and was out the door by 2:30 a.m. Went to pick up my Bro', Puni from his pad and we were off to Sand Diego by 3:15 a.m.
Okay, so far everything is going cool, we stop at 7-11 to get munchies, we launch boat and we head out left from the launch. That was my first mistake.
I wasn't aware that if you go south under the Coronado bridge in the harbor that there was no exit. So there went an hour of the morning that could have been spent on the ride to the island.
Next, I forgot to bring my portable GPS to get to the island, but not a big deal since I have a good idea how to get there....GO SOUTH!
Now the fun part. As well as many of you know the weather wasn't going to be the greatest yesterday. At this time it is now around 6:45 a.m., the temperature was about 57 degrees and it was a lil windy. The water was kinda choppy and we were getting a lil spray over the sides of the boat. No big deal I've been in worse weather. All of a sudden....
SLAM!!! We are looking at 7'-10' swells and just getting hammered with water over the sides and front of the boat. But I don't care cause I want to get me some YT's at the island. Needless to say we took it for about another half hour and decided to turn around and head back, didn't want to be in the news, "That dude" getting rescued by the Coast Guard.
So we are fishing in the harbor with no luck cause of the current, we have to use 4 oz. leads and you couldn' feel a bite cause of all the weight. So we called it a day at 12:00.
The good part of the day was I didn't work, was home by 2:30 and there is always next week... until next time, "Take em any way you can!"

SOSO
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Hello All,
Last week decided to go to Coronado's for the first time on my 23' Yamaha SX230 yesterday.
On Wednesday, the 21st, I filled up the tanks in the truck and the boat so I wouldn't need to at 3:00 a.m. in the morning. Yesterday I woke up at 2:00 a.m. chit, showered and was out the door by 2:30 a.m. Went to pick up my Bro', Puni from his pad and we were off to Sand Diego by 3:15 a.m.
Okay, so far everything is going cool, we stop at 7-11 to get munchies, we launch boat and we head out left from the launch. That was my first mistake.
I wasn't aware that if you go south under the Coronado bridge in the harbor that there was no exit. So there went an hour of the morning that could have been spent on the ride to the island.
Next, I forgot to bring my portable GPS to get to the island, but not a big deal since I have a good idea how to get there....GO SOUTH!
Now the fun part. As well as many of you know the weather wasn't going to be the greatest yesterday. At this time it is now around 6:45 a.m., the temperature was about 57 degrees and it was a lil windy. The water was kinda choppy and we were getting a lil spray over the sides of the boat. No big deal I've been in worse weather. All of a sudden....
SLAM!!! We are looking at 7'-10' swells and just getting hammered with water over the sides and front of the boat. But I don't care cause I want to get me some YT's at the island. Needless to say we took it for about another half hour and decided to turn around and head back, didn't want to be in the news, "That dude" getting rescued by the Coast Guard.
So we are fishing in the harbor with no luck cause of the current, we have to use 4 oz. leads and you couldn' feel a bite cause of all the weight. So we called it a day at 12:00.
The good part of the day was I didn't work, was home by 2:30 and there is always next week... until next time, "Take em any way you can!"

Good attitude. We have the whole summer ahead of us. YT's will come for you.

Oz
05-23-2008, 01:31 PM
sorry to hear for all the mishapps in your attempt for YT...u will get them next time :cool:

OnDaHunt4Fish
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Thats to bad about the weather but at least i know you will be around to do the next post and not "that dude on the News" like you said all ways next week,Keep it bent

Tail Chaser
05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the report.
You made it back to port unscathed. That's the important part.
Looking forward to the post of your next first trip to the Coronado's.

fish_sauce
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
thanks for the report!

too bad on the bad weather. I'm expected to head out to the Coronados this weekend, hope it clears up as expected by the forecasts by then!! :Confused:

better luck next time!

halo16
05-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the report, glad you got back safe, hope this weather clears up or it's going to be a bummed weekend

Brian_GSC
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
No yellowtail is worth your life! You definitely made the right call coming back in. There is always next time!

Thanks for the report

FISHINGBEE
05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
No yellowtail is worth your life! You definitely made the right call coming back in. There is always next time!

Thanks for the report I am pretty sure its a 163 degree heading to south island. I have fished these islands 100s of times from the late 80s to 2003. I had a Bayliner center console. I could tell you a lot about these islands. Mexican Law used to make everyone carry a special permit for the boat and fishing license. Our old WW2 boats are there patrol boats and they have boarded us in the past. South Island is almost always protected from the wind and is a great place to troll Rapalas in mackerel colors. Trolling somewhere close to a chumming party boat almost always produces even if there not catching YT. Do not get too close though. There is also some good calico fishing close to South Island. The birds give it away and yo yo iron is a great bet. Specially North island at pukey point. Midle grounds can be hot but seals there are a bother. Great rockfishing behind middle grounds in about 300 ft of water. The North island has agrat salmon grouper spot. Behind North island in the summer time is a great spot for Yellowfin tuna and Dorado Marlin. I have been out 302 and about 10 or so miles past the rock pile for tuna and have found out the spot behind North island was always better. Great lingcod fishing at pinnacles on sardines and anchovy. You will get your fix better to be safe than sorry. La Jolla is always a good bet on rough days.

FISHINGBEE