PDA

View Full Version : Trip on the Victory With Lots of Stuff

JapanRon
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP1.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP2.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP2.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP3.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP3.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP4.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP4.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP5.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP5.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521LFTP6.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/FROM1229/FROM0422/FROM0926/from0210/0521RGTP6.jpg

cappo
05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
nice report ron, expect plenty of donkeys from now until winter.

ghetto dad
05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Nice report ron!!! lol @ "donkeys"........

GD

Red Drum
05-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Excellent report as usual JR, thanks for sharing.

rockbass
05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
expect plenty of donkeys from now until winter.

I'll be heading out onto big water soon- HEE-HAW!!!

boxl0bster
05-23-2008, 12:06 AM
great report jp and thanks for all the helpful tips. :Cool:

Ricky-Ray
05-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Another great report and pics. Thanks. Sorry about the loss of your new spool of flouro. I like your "last resort".

Usually for me the last resort is perch. If I can't catch a darn perch, then I'm putting the rod away and go sulk in a cheeseburger and a coke. LOL

shioda
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Great report Ron. I was on the Enterprise and saw you guys at the sculpin grounds. We had squid and finbait too, but almost everyone who got limits was fishing plastics. Squid was useless for us and anchovies were barely acceptable. I limited on the sculpin and bocaccio. I also picked up a short lingcod. You were right about the current. I had to use so much weight I could even tell I had the ling until color showed. We went in around 1, but I was happy cause I got the fish I wanted and a raincheck too.

Gmoney
05-23-2008, 08:33 AM
JR
another great report to read and follow.
Donkey tactics 101 - soooo funny

ahhh grasshopper, learn the ways of the donkey and you shall then know the ways to find them and break them

Sensei G$

olfishergal
05-23-2008, 09:44 AM
JR
another great report to read and follow.
Donkey tactics 101 - soooo funny

ahhh grasshopper, learn the ways of the donkey and you shall then know the ways to find them and break them

Sensei G$

I liked that show too.......can't wait to get out on the water and try my new rod.....

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi cappo,

Yes ... I suppose so but I don't have to like it !! ha ha

I'm now in the process of taking experiences from past years and developing a number of anti-donkey devices.

Incidently to all ... I don't really consider that newbies to fishing, first-timers to the salt, or rent rodders automatically be labeled 'donkeys' They have to earn the moniker !! To me 'donkeys' are the above that won't listen to polite, respectful suggestions and offers of help or information who insist to have their way ..... until the deck comes along.

and ........

In the main, the knowit alls, selfcentered-selfish crowd, and the Alpha-dog pieces of &*$%# that might get away with their garbage in their cave or neighborhood .... these are my primary group of 'donkeys'. Two most common examples: The guys that pile their rods on others knowing there no way the victim won't have to spend 5 minutes to get a rod from under their pile or the moron that shoves your tackle box to the rear, side, or removes it completely so they can put theirs in the front for THIER easy access.

Dealt with 'em for years .... no biggie !!

Hope to share a rail with ya sometime,

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi ghetto dad,

Dude ...... when I think of Cuda and Bones .... and the bow of the boat .... the master's face immediately comes to mind. Like ..... 2 ten-pounders in EACH hand coming from the bow !I hope you had a number of shots at your favoriate and strongest (in my opinion) fish-catching forte !!

Hate to say it but ......... are we done on the Cuda ?? This is what happened last year !!

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi Red Drum,

As always ...... thank you. And ...... as you always put out the effort to share your experiences in most excellent reports .... thank you.

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Rockbass,

Thank you.

Look forward to hearing of your exploits.

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi boxlObster,

Thank you. I'm pleased that there are those that find my asides useful. I have a slight problem when writing my asides. Many times, I write to give the newer angler an idea as to what to expect on my beloved moo-moos. There is no worse turn-off than paying to do something and feel that one was 'tricked' or 'victimized' by the very system they looked to for a good experience. More potential moo-moo anglers are lost due to a lack of information than many moo-moo skioppers would like to admit !!

On the other hand, many anglers know a heck of a lot more about specific things I'm writing about and I worry a little that I might turn-off some those guys* .... who don't need to read what they already know. To them ... I just have to say ..... well ....what's written is just a reminder.

* California definition: Guys= ALL genders and combinations thereof.

Thanks again,

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Ricky-Ray,

Thanks .......... Gotta check to see if you've been out since your last thread !! Unfortunately Perch aren't that great plastics eaters unless they are rigged like rockcod flies so I don't have that option.

I have been saved on numberous occasions by catching a Tom Cod at the bait-receiver. And .... another memorable time that a willing Lizardfish graced my very mangled Blam and saved the day!!

Fish plastics-only and getting skunked is one thing but getting skunked on bait has to be .... not a reflection of one's skill but ...... the dispensation of an angry fish-god. At that time one must reflect and ask oneself ........ what have I don't to displease or ....... Dang !! ...is my supply of good karma all used up?

later,

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi shioda,

Nice to hear from ya. Good for you and the boat on those fishys. Kinda wild. My railbuddy was killin' 'em on a dropper-loop setup with a 4oz torpedo and a brown with ligher scaled 4" Kalin tipped with Squid. (I will NOT fish a swimbait with Squid)

I took my Skunk fishing mostly either straight 5 1/2" BassTrix or BH (no meat) or 5" Mogambos with and without Squid strips. Did a Texas rig to get the 2oz leadheads down deeper. Oh well .....

I was commenting to friends ..... the Enterprise is an excellent fishing machine too! Her counts always seem to be good. Haven't fished with Alan in a long time. My impression at first was that the boat liked to go deep when possible (300 ft+) and that kind of scared me away. Suspect that's another skippers forte.

A fishing buddy .... to be un-named ..... older .... Always talking Always .... white hair and mustache ..... Always talking so everyone on the boat can hear ..... fishes that boat often I understand. He wasn't on the boat I guess ... unless he was hiding in the galley as we looked for him in vain !! ha ha ha

Barring other conditions, intersting what a few hundred meters makes !

later my friend,

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Gmoney,

Thank you for the somewhat familiar phrase !!

What's really sad is .......... In my experience, there is no breaking (taming) them ....... they seem to have no interest in listening ........ I guess that's why they were named 'Donkeys' in the first place ! ha ha ha

Await your next fishing adventure,

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi olfishergal,

Thank you for contributing. Yikes !! New rod ... new rod !? Just kidding. We have to bring them out to be dinged sometime. As careful as we are .... I'm reminded of an old TV leader ... 'Don't be surprised if .... some time ... some where ..... when you least expect it"
we'll get our first traumatic nick, ding, scratch, or solid whack.

Some may call me a cry-baby and don't bring your 3-$$$ rods out but the fact is be it 300 or 30 .... having a rod abused by a donkey is exactly the same in my book. Do the same to theirs and they'll have a stroke .... but ours ..... we're supposed to chill !!

Await a report on your fishing adventures and especially with that new rod and what species of fish you caught on it first !! Try not to make it a Mackerel.

JapanRon

Swivel
05-23-2008, 11:59 AM
That was one funny ***** report! Gotta love that ghetto gunny sack. Just enough room for one fish. As far as the "donkeys" messing up your gear, thats just uncalled for. If some one did that too me I think my cig would accedently get to close to there line. Always enjoy reading your posts cause for me its like reading the morning paper.

shioda
05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
JR

It was a wild ride. Windy two. I had a brand new pack of circle hooks blow off my tackle box and glide right into the water. Not as expensive as your lose though!

I was fishing a dropper loop with a 6 ounce torpedo. Top loop hook had squid, bottom loop had a 5 inch FT, clear and green. Not one sculpin on the squid, but got a limit on the plastic.

Enterprise does fish deep sometimes, but usually only for one stop for the big reds. First time I went I did not realize the skipper liked to fish deep. I was wondering why all the regulars had trolling reels!!! When they started hooking on 2 lbs of weight, I realized we must be in some pretty deep water.

I have never been on the Victory. Seems a little more crowded than the Enterprise. Being relatively new to saltwater, I like to go on the lesser crowded boats so I don't interfere with someone else's fishing if I use the wrong weight, etc. So keep posting, I am learning something from each of your posts.

JapanRon
05-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi again shioda,

Congrats on the plastics score. I fished the green with silver metalflake BG which is often a killer for Izor Reef Sculpin, for no love.

Wednesday has our 10 or 12 guys added to the regular bunch so Wednesday is more crowded than other days. Both boats are going with less than 20 pretty often if you check the Pierpoint/Marina fish counts. Last Friday we had 9 !!

I think my first impression was wrong about the Enterprise always going deep. I believe it is one of the skippers that likes to fish deep therefore ...... on his days/trips sometimes the visit Captian Nemo's world !!

Good fishing and keep those reports coming.

JapanRon

one_leg
05-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Tsurikichi, thanks for the timely information.

I hate watching those guys that insist on standing around BS'ing while their rods teeter on the verge of crashing down on my rig. Why they gots to stand them up at 20 degrees from perpendicular to the rail is beyond me. I just gave up giving in to the urge to place them in a less destructable fashion and began tying my rig up to the rail. At least their stuff might bounce off of mine and find it's way to the deck while I am doing my bizniz, whatever that may be.

And on nearly every trip somebody has to go and leave their 8 oz. torpedo, or 12 oz. ball hanging right next to the window so that all the other patrons can listen to it banging against the cabin as they try to relax. Every so often it hits the glass and I find it hard to believe that the crews don't just cut em off in order to prevent everyone in the galley from being showered with glass shards. Are the windows on these boats made of safety glass or something? People, it ain't that hard to wrap it around the handle or something! It seems like these bozos couldn't care less about the boats paint jobs or the safety of everyone onboard.

If I find your spool of line I'll return it too you the next time I see you.

I predict that next time out there you will not be saying, "Bozu ni natta!!!" upon your return.

One_Leg