PDA

View Full Version : Shaver lake

YAHOO!
05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
my friend just got a cabin for a couple of days in june at shaver lake. i have never heard of this lake and have no idea what to use or species or anything. any generall info would be great

chansen49
05-21-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.shaverlake.com/recreation/water-sports/fishing

Chris

buck liggett
05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Troll some ex-cell lures = needlefish thomas bouyants work too. Both are castable though too.

tenderloin
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
The lake has good fishing for trout from both boat and shore. There is good kokanee salmon fishing from a boat...June should still be OK for them. There are numerous snallmouth bass off the rocky coves. They are small but hit crickets with abandon. Upstream is Huntington Lake which also can be excellent. Nearby creeks Tamarack, Ranchero and Big Creek are all heavily stocked. A reasonable drive to Dinkey Creek will be worth your while. Good fishing and nearby McKinley Grove of giant Sequoia's is breathtaking. This grove is magnificent without the crowds of the national park.

If you want specific fishing areas PM me

BTW Shaver is in the Western Sierra.

Simplyeman
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
while youre out there by shaver lake make a trip out to huntington lake its not to far and its DEFINETLY worth it.....the fishing at huntington is amazing.

sky
05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Shaver Lake is a freakin zoo in June and will taken over by power boats by 9:00 a.m. Get on the water EARLY.

If you go up to Huntington Lake be sure to take the 2nd turnoff for huntington lake. The first turnoff is a teeth clentcher road with blind corners, and it isn't wide enough for two cars...

I'd go to Courtright and Wishon reservoirs off of Dinkey Creek Road and McKinley Grove Road.

YAHOO!
05-22-2008, 03:53 PM
thanks guys

rusty6
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
i actually got into a really good small mouth bite last year by edison campground on a carolina rigged MORF grub. got about 10 to 2 pounds.