PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake May 15-18

esteroSchmitty
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Holy Crap, we killed at that lake. My dad, 4 of my brothers and I went up for a fishing Brodeo, got ther at sunrise on Friday, geared up our ultra lights, and waited for the marina to open. While waiting, i threw a line in and got one before the line hit the bottom.

Fished from a pontoon all day Friday, C&R, using 2lb lines and a Carolina rig, Powerbait and various bait masks. We all caught beautiful rainbows all day long, most of us in double digits. After a long day of driving and fishing, Time for drinking and Lakers at the lodge.

Day two, back on the pontoon, sam Chunky Cheese with Bait mask, PowerBaits from the others. Didn't seem to make a difference. They trout were biting. another great day of fishing from sun up to sun down, took 3 back to grill up, my brother doing a fantastic job of grilling em to perfection.

All in all, the entire lake was a honey hole, we only used powerBait, all using different bait masks, and all having great success. I'll be back up ther in a month.

billy b
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
You got me ... what's a "bait mask?"

And CONGRATS on the great fishing, family time, and Lakes game. Sounds like a perfect day!

Koshaw
05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Could it be he means a nitro grease, garlic, roe, corn scents/dips to mask the human/land scent on your rig/baits?

esteroSchmitty
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Exactly right - i guess its referred to as attractant, but we always called it mask, since its masking the smell of us, even though i think i smell quite delicious. I used the YUM Crawfish flavor, My brothers used Powrerbait Corn trout Dip scent, and others were using Dr. Juices Super Juice. It didn't seem to matter what was used, as long as they were used.

billy b
05-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Interesting to hear you say you used Berkley Corn ... I've always heard Garlic and a few using Roe ... but never the corn. Xlnt info.

Thanks estero and Koshaw!

digitalschmidt
05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice, post bro. It was another legendary weekend. The move time we've spent up there perfecting our rigs and techniques the more validation we've received for our methods. A few truisms:

Ultralight Rods (in the 5'-6" range) Fast action.
2 lb. test
12/14 hooks
Powerbait (I favor Chunky Cheese or any of the fluorescents)
Attractants (Corn/Garlic.etc.)

Carolina type rigs with light weights always seem to work best. More importantly, vary your leader length based on conditions! Longer leaders early and late, shorter during the warm hours.

A few highlights of the weekend:
- 3 simultaneous hookups
- 2 fish landed with hooks in the tail
- 1 fish landed with 2 rods (the fish took bait from both of my rods and hooked itself on both!
- 20+ fish days

Can't wait to get back there.

digitalschmidt

troutdog
05-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Just dyin over here, wishing I was up there right now enjoying this beautiful weather! Congrats on a nice trip, thanks for sharing!

TD