PDA

View Full Version : Crowley Lake Boat Rental

EMarty
05-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Just got my credit card statement in the mail and to my surprise Crowley Lake has charged me an additional $50. I got a phone message on my cell number telling me about a "damaged" prop on a boat I rented a couple weeks back. The boat was in very good condition with a well performing 30 HP Honda 4 stroke when I rented it, and when I returned it. I have no complaint about the boat or the dockside services provided. However, on that day I drove that boat in a straight line from the Marina Cove to McGee bay and dropped anchor in 12 ft of water. We only made two minor moves in that bay and never did this boat go into shallow water, nor did I hit any floating debris. I've been driving my own boat for more that 20 years, and take great care weather in my boat or any boat. Folks up there that answered my phone calls seem to not know anything about this "damage", and can only take my name and phone number. I smell a rat. Just wondering if anyone else out there has been taken for an extra $50 by those fine folks running Crowley Lake Marina???

I've been fishing Crowley for many years and never rented a boat. I will continue to fish this lake for many more years, but never will I rent another boat from these crooks.

greg
05-21-2008, 01:05 AM
I've been fishing Crowley from their rental boats for over 15 years and never had a problem with the boats or the staff. Next time, have a staff member check the prop before you leave the docks to insure you have a intact prop and check it again when you return...

Badfish2
05-21-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.amisontario.com/images/titles/scammed.gif

You my friend, got taken to the cleaners. Another reason I won't fish at that lake. It's the tourist trap of the sierra. I avoid it at all cost. 5000 lakes within a short drive of there that cost NOTHING to fish at and have honest staff running the boat rentals. Pay cash next time if possible. Make a complaint to your credit card company..see what they can do

greeper
05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Crowley has this reputation, they've pulled this on a number of people, just do a search of message boards and you'll find the same complaint.. That's why if I ever rent from them I have the dock worker pull up the motor prior to me fishing and once I'm done to verify it's condition.. Fight it...

EMarty
05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm sure many people go up there and have a good time without any problems. The $50 is really not the big issue. I mean we spent over $800 to get some much needed relaxation on the three day trip, I had a great time and spent time with my 72 year old dad. I'm not going to run my blood pressure up now over $50. I just know how careful I ran that boat, and if there was damaged to the prop it either happened before me or after... Check the prop before and after sounds like such “common sense” advice. Not the first time I heard it either, but wish I had remembered it.

Oh well, I’ll take note and be wiser for it. Guess I just needed to tell someone before I could let this one go.

If anyone is wondering... We did catch some fish. All came from about 10 ft of water using midges under an indicator. Bite was kind of slow and nothing of any real size, just a few nice fish, most were 14" to 16" and one around 20".

Emarty

J-hook
05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
This is why I like to use cash for stuff like this. Camping, etc. and even close to home here is SoCal.

I'd hit the atm next time, and then go rent stuff. No hanky-panky w/ your cc number or identity either.

Good luck to all!

billy b
05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
First, I'd follow the advice someone gave earlier...contact your credit card company...telling them you did not authorize any such payment. Second, I'd try to see if "Fear No Trout" (on this board, ICYDK) can give you any advice or suggestions. Third, when you call, ask for John Fredricksen who I believe owns and operates the Crowley Fish Camp as well as the June Lake Marina.

ackaida
05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
I fished Crowley the third weekend of the season. I rented a flat-bottomed boat on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, I had boat #64 and returned it with no problem. On Sunday, they switched us to boat #63 which is unusual, because when you rent for two consecutive days, you normally get the same boat both days.

Well Sunday, I fished McGee Bay and Sandy Point, never getting in less than 10 feet of water. I have a portable depth finder with a shallow water alarm, so I'm certain about that. So I return to the dock and unload. Just as we're leaving, one of the dock workers pulls the motor up and claims we've damaged the prop. WELL BS! We fight it and there's no way we're paying!

As someone else suggested, next time we'll check the prop before we leave the dock.

Fear No Trout
05-22-2008, 07:11 PM
First, I'd follow the advice someone gave earlier...contact your credit card company...telling them you did not authorize any such payment. Second, I'd try to see if "Fear No Trout" (on this board, ICYDK) can give you any advice or suggestions. Third, when you call, ask for John Fredricksen who I believe owns and operates the Crowley Fish Camp as well as the June Lake Marina.

Being a former staff person at the Crowley Lake Fish Camp they have switched over to using plastic props. http://www.piranha.com/ I remember that this sort of thing is not unusual, however the only precautions while renting a boat from Crowley is to make sure that the dock hand examines the prop before you leave the marina. The dock workers in the morning before they warm up the motors check the prop before they let them out and they check them again when they return. Since I don't work there anymore, whenever I rent a boat I make sure that the prop is inspected in my presence before leaving and upon return. I am not doubting your integrity whether you caused any damage, I am merely stating that people get charged for damaged props. I even paid $50.00 grudgingly because I didn't have proof that I personally check the prop before and after I returned the boat. I too did not run onto shore or hit anything but got tagged for $50.00. Don't allow this to upset you too much as we know that Crowley Lake is a fine fishery. If you contact John Fredrickson at June Lake Marina and explain your story you may have some reconsiliation....Good Luck, I hope it turns out for you.

Cory....aka...Fear No Trout

Big Country
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Cory...Long time since I've seen a post from you.

How has your season been so far?

Anything new on the documentary front?

Fear No Trout
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey Cory...Long time since I've seen a post from you.

How has your season been so far?

Anything new on the documentary front?

I had just finished my last set of inteviews of surviving internees who went fishing at Manzanar. I am now in the process of putting a script together and doing a rough cut.
I was unable to get additional funding this year from the state because of a budget cut buti I am aggressively pursuing private and corporate sponsorship to get the needed funding to finshing the film. I just finished my lectures at Manzanar about the Manzanar Fisherman and also it's sad to say but my display and exhibits has come to an end at the Interpretive Center at Manzanar. I have plans now to make it a traveling exhibit and will post in the future when a venue becomes confirmed of it's new location.

Response to the project continues to be of interest to the public and even Ken Burns and his documentary company has contacted me for coordinating a segment for his upcoming documentary film called..."National Parks...the untold story" to be broadcasted next year in 2009. I have been by the Fred Hall company for them to host a booth next year at the show to promote the project.

Thanks for you continued interest and support.

Cory....aka....Fear No Trout

greeper
05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Cory I'd love to see that traveling display if it ever comes near the LA area... My students would really enjoy seeing what you've done so far.

pc2mac
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Ken Burns??!! That is awesome Cory, congrats. Hope your efforts continue to generate more interest.

Sparky70
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Cory,

Miss your reports. Don't seem like the same site this comming summer.

U still into the Manzanar history?

steve092
05-27-2008, 04:57 AM
That sucks.

Well now you know where not to rent a boat.