PDA

View Full Version : Kinda long question but dont let it scare you.

gwar666r
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey whats happening everyone my name is Richard.
Im 17 and a devoted fisherman it took me about a month
to learn how to use a baitcaster and conventional reel ive
been fishing for about a year and a half now.
I just got my license and truck, ive been
ocean fishing alot and only been on one charter boat
which was a month ago. Ill tell you right now it was
boring to me because all it was, was the CPT saying
"Were in about 180 feet of water were going to
scout out the area so let em drop." Ill tell you right now
I hate that kind of fishing. So i was wondering what is
my best chance at catching a yellowtail and off of
charter boat should i go on. I figure they have had to go
on their run by now and im dying to catch since i never had.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME TO READ THIS AND
ANY ANSWERS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Zombie Bass ATTACK
05-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Didnt scare me at all!! haha..Well matters what area your from! im from orange county and ive been going on charters since i was 7 and im 21 now i go out of daveys locker www.daveyslocker.com its in newport beach they are a great landing only landing i'll go to other than h&m in san diego..but anyways your best luck at yellowtail right now would be on a overnight trip which they charter to san clemente island they are picking up a few yellows right now showing up here and there..but i would wait alil longer and go out like in mid june start of july and then from there on ...by how the weather and numbers on fish have been looking now you would be fine on a 3/4 day out of daveys to get you on some yellows.But if you want to get BIG i mean big bonita go out now out of daveys locker they are getting big 8-16 pound bones those are alot of fun and hell of a fight bro.But hit me up if you have any questions.

fishhead
05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
follow the fish counts like on bites.com..that way you are not fishing boats that are just fishing Sculpin and other whipdedoos..

Ricky-Ray
05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Best bet is on an overnighter to San Clemente Island. They are starting to bite but with the changing weather lately it can be hit and miss. If you really set on going now then go for it if not I would probably wait at least a few more weeks until at least June or July. Lot's of great boat's from San Diego area up to LA. Just depends on where you live and how far you wanna travel. My personal favorite overnight boat is the Freedom out of 22nd. St. Landing.

jplee3
05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Read these forums and fish counts to see where things are at and check the weather for sure. Generally, the hotter the better. Really, the *best* chance of catching yellows would be to go on a 2 day+ trip or down to Baja; or on one of those 5-7 days trips out of San Diego to the Cedros Islands and Alisos Rocks :) But those can get a little bit expensive ;)

Locally, the Yellows were on the chew at San Clemente (takes an overnighter to get out there). Some good boats: Sea Horse out of Dana Wharf, Freedom out of 22nd st, Outrider out of 22nd st. Most boats out of SD are good bets too. I'm not as familiar with the landings down there as I've never gone, but once things start warming up in Mexican waters, the yellows will [hopefully] start boiling.

Stormcrow
05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
You seem like a straight shooter. You can go down to San Diego right about now when the albacore start coming around and get on the Producer or the Diawa Pacific. Or any of those overnight boats. You are almost guaranteed to catch more than one yellow this time of year. You might even get lucky and catch some albacore too!!!!!

Good luck man!

gwar666r
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help from what i see is to go and take a overnight trip but i think im going to wait a month. I really appreciate the the advice.

vanillagurilla
05-21-2008, 05:09 PM
you can take an overnight trip or drive down to SD and jump on a boat. right now your best be at a yellow is going south i think. water temp in sd area is hovering around 66-67 deg off shore and 70 on the beach.