PDA

View Full Version : Late Report from inside NPH

flyngby
05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
After spending a 5 long 8 hr. days in the class room doing firefighter refresher training it was time to get out of the heat and return to the Harbor on foot again in hopes of bettering my success from last weeks experiment.

This is one big school of firefighters bunched together like we would like to find the hungry fish.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG0493.jpg

After arriving home on Friday evening I began to get that ugly feeling of the sore and itchy throat. No it can't be as I was going to head out early on Sat morning. Spent the night with a huge fever and chills and was not looking forward to the 103' heat and being sick. I woke up late to already hot conditions so decided to get down to the harbor.

Arrived around 10:30 am and started at a point where I had some success on the butts last week. So what do I now get but what I was targeting last week and failed to get but this guy in the first 5 minutes.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG0495.jpg

Next cast a very nice Butt came to grab the swimbait in less than 1 foot of water and saw me and did quick u-turn with a nice tail splash that churned up the water. Spent the next few moments trying to encourage him again with no luck.

Got a visit from some other guys that set up on the beach just to the right and they got some instant action on some very small Sandies with Ghost Shrimp. I conversed with them on set-ups and frozen vs live Ghosties.

Since they were getting some action and my truck was very close I decided to break out another pole with some frozen Ghosties as I worked the channel. First Cast and 3 Min soak I nailed this nice Sargo and was able to get a photo from a passerby.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG0497.jpg

Caught another small Spottie that became camera shy and jumped off the hook as I was preparing to the P&R thing.

Then it became interesting as I was bumping the bait pole along the beach with me as I continued to cast the swimbaits. I was not more than 15 feet away from my soaking bait when I heard the drag go off and as I turned to go get it I got hit on the swim bait. No problem until the pole leaning on the bucket fell onto the sand and began to get dragged toward the water.

Now on that rig is my still old school Mitchell 300 Reel that is 8 years older than I and on a nice rod. As I head toward it the rig is now disappearing into the waste and attempting to go deep. I Drop the other rig on the shore and jump in to save my classic reel.

End up losing both fish but no gear especially the non terminal gear. And while jumping in I had forgot about the digicam in the pocket. 2 close calls with the camera in 2 weeks!!!!!

At this point I began to feel worse so decided to call it a day!!

Wingnut
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Nice report Steve, glad that you're feeling better now. I'm looking forward to hitting the salt with you this weekend. Let's hope the Fish Gods will follow me to your playground. ;) See ya soon. :D

spiceguy
05-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Good thing you were quick on yer feet Steve! Nice sargo.

klocked
05-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Way to go on the fish!!
Very nice Sargo!

OnDaHunt4Fish
05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
THanks for the Photos

makersmark
05-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Good work saving your gear,and nice fish. Thanks for the report

HESBROS
05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
LOL oh no, not the old rod! I know what those mean to you! Glad you got out, even if for a short time, and you got a spottie!!!!!!! When you going to have those brats all trained so we can go feesh? We better get it on considering the way fire season is going, at this rate we will not have time to go fish!

Troutman65
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
:cool:

Thanks for the post.

TM65

troutdog
05-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Great read....nice looking sargo, I have never caught one of those guys as of yet. Thanks for the report.

TD