PDA

View Full Version : Increase rates on cattle boat???

FishingOC
05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Is it me or has the cattle boat prices gone up....

It just occured to me...

Any one know when this took affect?

http://www.newportlanding.com/fish.htm

Cap'n Ron
05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
One word for ya,,,

DIESEL

Do the math.

flopps1
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Yep....Sign of the times! 3/4 trips out of the BIg 3 have gone up as well. $90 bucks to get out!

Fish Dog
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I can remember going on 23 hour albacore trips out of San Diego for $55 or $60 and I thought that was high!

Ricky-Ray
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Most of the LA landings have not changed their prices yet. Thank goodness. But I wouldn't be surprised if they increase their rates soon. Fuel sure is getting expensive these day's for any motorized vehicle.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
One word for ya,,,

DIESEL

Do the math.
exactly right people cap'n ron is right on..think of it as a Diesel 18 wheeler truck were to be on water and think of how much gas prices have gone up so fast!! BAM!! They charge soo much now because they use diesel fuel on those cattle boats and our money pays there gas debt off...they charge 69 out of daveys locker probably the same out of newport.But ya i remember when i was young and it was 35$ its only going to go up in price now since bush screwed us..!! :LOL:

Cap'n Ron
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I can remember going on 23 hour albacore trips out of San Diego for $55 or $60 and I thought that was high!

And I remember when gas hit $1.00.

I also remember my dad filling up the vista cruiser and the boat to go to Alexandria Mn, or Rainy lake from St.Paul,,,,,,,, .23 cents a gallon!

Milk at $2.00 a gallon really got him going.

Told my friends last year that by July this year Gas would hit $5.00 a gallon.

Wait til next year folks,,,, $7.50 a gallon ain't that far away.

They said I was nucking futs for jumping on oil at 27.00

Got to change my name,,,,

Cap'n Nucking Fut's, at yer service.

Everything and anything that gets pulled across the freeways or waterways by a diesel engine is gonna continue to go up. And yeah, It's gonna be one hell of a ride.

So get in.
Hold on.
And remember,,,,,,

NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE!

FishingOC
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Cap'n Nucking Fut's, at yer service.

Everything and anything that gets pulled across the freeways or waterways by a diesel engine is gonna continue to go up. And yeah, It's gonna be one hell of a ride.

LOL I agree Cap'n Nucking Fut's

drivelikejoewho
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM

Very true. And this it what it takes to get Americans to be a little more conservative with resources and care about effeciency. As much as I hate that the cost of everything goes up, it is about time people start caring a little more. If we had woke up in the 80's, we would have this problem solved or at the very least; a solution underway. You can thank the elected officials over the past 30 years for not demanding the auto industry to increase gas mileage and not investing money into alternative energy etc. Our government finds anyway under the sun to waste money and put the interest of big business as a top priority. And we are the morons who elect them so who is really to blame?

Don't look for the price of things like fishing trips to change anytime soon. It is going to take a crisis like what is developing for people to actually care.

If you owned a oil company, why wouldn't you charge $5 a gallon? or $6? or $7? It's our own fault for depending on it and depending on it to be affordable to us.

[/rant]

sansou
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah....blame the government for the price of diesel. It's not as if our foreign policy is controlled by our ever expanding appetite for oil.......... ha ha!!

Troutman65
05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I heard today on the news that the truckers in London are paying $10.00 a gallon for diesel. They are not really happy.

TM65

FishingOC
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Moving to Venezuela

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

Ricky-Ray
05-27-2008, 10:55 PM
All prices updated March 2005. I wonder what's the real price today.

one_leg
05-27-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll still fish when fuel is $15 a gallon.

BakoBassin
05-28-2008, 08:23 AM
$8 for a half day on the Matt Walsh when I was a kid.

drivelikejoewho
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah....blame the government for the price of diesel. It's not as if our foreign policy is controlled by our ever expanding appetite for oil.......... ha ha!!

That is why I said this..

And we are the morons who elect them so who is really to blame?

And yeah I doubt they see a considerable drop in people going because of the a $10 or $20 increase. It will be because people don't have the money in the first place.

I have never been on one of those cattle boats. Can anyone tell me, are they even worth it? If so, what are the best ones? Davies locker?

Cap'n Ron
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
"I have never been on one of those cattle boats. Can anyone tell me, are they even worth it? If so, what are the best ones? Davies locker?"

Reminds me of that 10 foot pole I have in the garage. I know it's there, but I'm going to leave it alone.

Troutman65
05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
"I have never been on one of those cattle boats. Can anyone tell me, are they even worth it? If so, what are the best ones? Davies locker?"

Reminds me of that 10 foot pole I have in the garage. I know it's there, but I'm going to leave it alone.

I like The Freelance out of Davies Locker. Good crew. San Deigo cattle boats are great during the albacore Tuna runs . It depends on your tude if you will like them or not.

If one don't have no boat and knows no one with no boat, Cattle Boats are the only way some people get out onto the salt to fish.

Troutman65

Liteliner
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I think Berth 55 has the most affordable trips of all the landings. Full days for 55 bucks and overnighters for 130.

drivelikejoewho
05-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Lol!

I think Berth 55 has the most affordable trips of all the landings. Full days for 55 bucks and overnighters for 130.

Thanks for the info guys!

I am the guy without a boat but I usually just fish from the shore in Alamitos Bay or rent a kayak or something. It's kinda a pain in the *** but I can ALWAYS catch fish there if I can get on the water.

Ricky-Ray
05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't own a boat nor do I really know anybody that has their own boat so the open party trips or limited load trips are pretty much my only option if I wanna get out there and pull on something besides walking along the beach in the early morning. My usual go to boat's have been:

3/4 day:
Spitfire, Redondo Sportfishing
Freelance, Davey's Locker
Coroloma, Ventura Sportfishing

Overnight:
Freedom, 22nd. St. Landing
Outrider, 22nd. St. Landing (I haven't been on this boat yet but after talking to captain, one of their deckhands and cook and taking a look at the boat, this will be a great boat to fish on).
Mirage, Port Hueneme
Ultra, Newport Landing

one_leg
05-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't Tsurikichi do a report from SD that mentioned the cost of a 3/4 day trip down there is like $80 or something?

Sounds like we got it made up here!

I can recall the low prices of yesteryears, but they are long gone. Get used to it.

I like private boats and commercial sportboats for various reasons.

I like small private boats for their speed, efficiency, and ability to get in close to structure.

I like Moo Moo's for their ability to accomadate large groups of friends at the same time, and having a great skipper and crew to attend to the needs of the anglers is a plus as well.

We can all have fun out there.

O_L

THROWBACK RANGER
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
In Short The Price Of Living Has Gone Up!!! And Fuel Is Not Getting Any Cheaper! The Average 3/4 Dat Boat Burns About 100-300 Gallons Of Diesel A Trip (depending On How Much They Move Around And Where They Go) @almost 5 Dollars A Gallon The Shhh Adds Up Day After Day.

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't own a boat nor do I really know anybody that has their own boat so the open party trips or limited load trips are pretty much my only option if I wanna get out there and pull on something besides walking along the beach in the early morning. My usual go to boat's have been:

3/4 day:
Spitfire, Redondo Sportfishing
Freelance, Davey's Locker
Coroloma, Ventura Sportfishing

Overnight:
Freedom, 22nd. St. Landing
Outrider, 22nd. St. Landing (I haven't been on this boat yet but after talking to captain, one of their deckhands and cook and taking a look at the boat, this will be a great boat to fish on).
Mirage, Port Hueneme
Ultra, Newport Landing

You seem pretty cool, And know your stuff.
Seems to me you would be a good asset to have on a PVT boat.

one_leg
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
You seem pretty cool, And know your stuff.
Seems to me you would be a good asset to have on a PVT boat.

Don't be stealing Ricky-Ray from us man!!! :Twisted:........j/k

We just got used to him and we wouldn't want to lose him to a PB'er.:p

Ricky-Ray is cool.

One_Leg

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
But wouldnt having only 89 anglers on the cattle boat.
Instead of the usual 90 be a good thing. :LOL:

one_leg
05-29-2008, 12:21 PM
But wouldnt having only 89 anglers on the cattle boat.
Instead of the usual 90 be a good thing. :LOL:

Good point. But why dies it have to be Ricky-Ray? :(

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Good point. But why dies it have to be Ricky-Ray? :(
Because Ricky told me about the Sabiki Rig.
Now I can catch some mean fighting anchovies at will.
I haven't forgot about you O_L.

I really want an extra set of eyes looking for boils.

My main issue has been... I never do a one day trip. So I go solo.
After a 5 month vacation. Dang Motion Picture Industry.
I'm about to get real busy at work.
No time for the Muti Day trips this year.
Trips will be returning late at night, or overnighters.

Just finished priming my 3 rod rack and side of the boat this morning.
Sure have missed some good bites working on this thing so late :Angry:
Boat has storage for 14 rods now. Very helpful for when I have passengers :cool:

one_leg
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Boat has storage for 14 rods now. Very helpful for when I have passengers :cool:

So, you PB'ers think you can just stuff us Moo Moo patrons into a rod locker?

Just because we are used to cramped conditions sometimes doesn't mean you can get away with not respecting our personal space.....:mad:

Or is it that you are ashamed of us and seek to hide us from your other PB'er friends?

That I could understand at least.....:ROFL:

There will still be time to fish this summer.

O_L

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not ashamed of having Moo Moo guys on board at all.
I think I would like to display a few.
I think hanging them by there belt loop up on the radar arch for everyone to see would work out great.
They provide shade there, And offer protection from the low flying seagulls doing there deed from above. No deck space lost either:cool:
Anything less then 8' of elbow room does feel kind of cramped.

Getting one Muti Day trip in next week. Then back to work.

If this is what weekend island fishing is going to be like at Catalina.
Will need to get some fishing buddy's to split the fuel cost.
Make some San Clemente runs.

Watched the New Del Mar return to MDR on Sunday.
Crazy seeing all them anglers getting off the boat.
And its not even busy yet :Shock:

one_leg
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Getting one Muti Day trip in next week. Then back to work.

If this is what weekend island fishing is going to be like at Catalina.
Will need to get some fishing buddy's to split the fuel cost.
Make some San Clemente runs.

Great Photochop job on that Cat Isl. pic. :ROFL:

But seriously, Clemente might be a wise choice with all those PB'ers rubbing albows out there?

O_L

Cap'n Ron
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
So, you PB'ers think you can just stuff us Moo Moo patrons into a rod locker?

Just because we are used to cramped conditions sometimes doesn't mean you can get away with not respecting our personal space.....:mad:

Or is it that you are ashamed of us and seek to hide us from your other PB'er friends?

That I could understand at least.....:ROFL:

There will still be time to fish this summer.

O_L

Yep. Nailed it.

one_leg
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Yep. Nailed it.

I am gonna wear blaze orange if you ever let me on your boat.......again!!

:ROFL:

Ricky-Ray
05-29-2008, 04:43 PM
hahahaha I leave my computer for a few hours and come back to this. Thanks I got a good laugh out of this.

Like I said cattle boats are pretty much my main ride and I like it. Get to meet different kinds of people and some have become some pretty good friends too.

If I got an invite to join somebody on a PB'er and I can make it I would be honored to go. I will definitely help with the cost of bait or fuel or bring some munchies or whatever. I'm not the freeloading type of guy. :)

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Great Photochop job on that Cat Isl. pic. :ROFL:

But seriously, Clemente might be a wise choice with all those PB'ers rubbing albows out there?

O_L
Need to find places. Where everybody else is not.
A little swell can be a good thing.
Sends most folk running behind the breakwall.

That photo was taken on a pvt boat report last weekend. Sunday I believe.
Heard Saturday wasn't to bad.
Sat night, Boat lights all over the V's.

Tail Chaser
05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=one_leg;196059]

I like Moo Moo's for their ability to accomadate large groups of friends at the same time, and having a great skipper and crew to attend to the needs of the anglers is a plus as well.

O_L[/QUOTE
Hmmm......:rolleyes:
Do boat Ho's pull the same duty's?
Excuse me Mr Boat Ho.
Would you mind going below deck and make me a cup of coffee. Maybe cook up some dogs also.
I'm kind of busy now fighting these fishys :LOL:

sansou
05-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Out of curiousity, for you ever unabashed "PBers" on this particular thread: when was the last time either of you hung a tuna (not a YT) off your boat AND posted it on FNN (or anywhere for that matter)?????

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Out of curiousity, for you ever unabashed "PBers" on this particular thread: when was the last time either of you hung a tuna (not a YT) off your boat AND posted it on FNN (or anywhere for that matter)?????

C'mon SS, is that really your best shot?

Tail Chaser
05-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Ive never fished for the tuna. Burned out on the taste of Starkist.
Spending many hours trolling around in open water is not my cup of tea.
I have trouble doing any trolling at all. (To boring)
Saving fuel and drifting for Halibut. I can do.
I have to pull my boat 65 miles just to launch at MDR or Oxnard.
The 405 and the 5 fwys are in such bad shape. I hate beating my boat up on them fwys
just to get to my local boat ramps.
Its about two hundred miles to San Diego. One way for me.
So hauling the boat down to San Diego to get on some tuna is not worth it to me.
Being so close to the border. Concerned of my tow vehicle getting ripped off down there also.
Otherwise, A Muti Day at the Cornado's for some Dorado and Tails would be very tempting.

Tail Chaser
05-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I thought 98% of the post here were good and people were having fun.
Guess someones been getting there toes stepped on to much.
I'm not getting sucked into the bashing.

When I know for a fact that I would have more fun on my PVT Boat.
Even if I left all my fishing gear at home.

Then I would catching fish on a crowded Cattle boat.
Its all about having fun out there.

And my personalized custom PVT boat is a blast to be on.
Even when its sitting on the trl.

You cant argue with that. :cool:

For the record Sansou.
Putting to big of a prop on.
Will not cause the motor to stall.
Giving pvt boat tips is best done by people who actually own and work on boats.

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I thought 98% of the post here were good and people were having fun.
Guess someones been getting there toes stepped on to much.
I'm not getting sucked into the bashing.

When I know for a fact that I would have more fun on my PVT Boat.
Even if I left all my fishing gear at home.

Then I would catching fish on a crowded Cattle boat.
Its all about having fun out there.

And my personalized custom PVT boat is a blast to be on.
Even when its sitting on the trl.

You cant argue with that. :cool:

For the record Sansou.
Putting to big of a prop on.
Will not cause the motor to stall.
Giving pvt boat tips is best done by people who actually own and work on boats.

Nicely put TC.
I concur.

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM

sansou,
Hope you have a great season this year. Can't wait to see the pics. Stay safe on the water.

???????

sansou
05-30-2008, 09:21 AM
BrokenRod/TailChaser: sorry if I rankle feathers, but the truth of the matter is that historically you are ever so quick to put down cattle boats and the type of fishing they offer. It's just been my personal experience that it takes a somewhat experienced PBer to be able to be in range & locate & catch the tougher species....which is a strong reason to jump on a cattle boat. I understand you are proud of your boat, and I can appreciate that....but at some point in time you have to realize your PB chest beating does rightfully raise eyebrows. And by the way, an improper prop pitch will cause an engine to stall....I'll give you a free demo on my boat if you want to come up in altitude in Colorado.

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
BrokenRod/TailChaser: sorry if I rankle feathers,,,,,,,,

Dang Ss, you had the high road there for just a split second.

Dayum.

Tail Chaser
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
BrokenRod/TailChaser: sorry if I rankle feathers, but the truth of the matter is that historically you are ever so quick to put down cattle boats and the type of fishing they offer. It's just been my personal experience that it takes a somewhat experienced PBer to be able to be in range & locate & catch the tougher species....which is a strong reason to jump on a cattle boat. I understand you are proud of your boat, and I can appreciate that....but at some point in time you have to realize your PB chest beating does rightfully raise eyebrows. And by the way, an improper prop pitch will cause an engine to stall....I'll give you a free demo on my boat if you want to come up in altitude in Colorado.

I don't put down the type of fishing cattle boats do.
They do all types. From cheap local, to awesome muti week trips.

Its the over crowding I don't care for/joke about. Fishing and being on the water should give one the feeling of getting away from the rat race. Fishing with standing room only is not something I care to do. (Since I don't have to) Your personal experience is correct sansou. It takes a certain type of captain and a pvt boat capable of getting to the pelagic fish and catching them. That's where the so called chest beating comes into play I guess. Being Fired up about having a comfortable, big enough pvt boat to get offshore and to our local islands consistently if I want.
My personal observation of reading the pvt/cattle boat reports the last two years.

A bad day on a PVT boat is. A skunk, and too much fuel burned. Maybe a breakdown.
A bad day on a Cattle boat is. A skunk, broken/stolen tackle, Fights breaking out, rail hogs, Jerk captain/crews, Wasted time at unproductive fishing grounds. crews fishing for junk fish that the passengers don't even want. Boats not even going out after showing up with reservations.

A good day of fishing for both types of boats. Everybody lands fish.
Local cattle boats do catch some really good fish.
I must admit though.
The more cattle boat post I read. The more thankful I am of having my own boat.
I am highly aware of the fact. Its been way to long since ive been on the water.
Without pics, Its all BS.

You can loose as much as 30% of power at high elevation. Engines don't even want to run at high altitude.
Have you tried turning up the idle? If its a computer engine. Maybe it cant compensate for the high altitude. Resulting in a too low of idle /stalling condition.

Boats with engines are usually specd out pretty good from the dealer. Give or take 300/500rpm at redline.
It would take a insanely oversized prop for a proper running engine not to have the power to idle around. Your max engine rpms would most likely be 1/2 of what the engines red line should be.
Putting a prop designed for say a low weight boat/high speed application(Bass Boat)
To say a very heavy underpowered slow moving cruiser type boat.
Would be a major over prop condition.

Overproping usually results in poor mpg and overloading transmission gears. Not stalling at low speeds.

sansou
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
TailChaser,

Fair enough....just breaking your cojones a bit over an issue that has played out many times on the board....and I agree with you at times it can be hectic on the short/local cattle boat trips. For the most part it's been my observation, you get a little bit of different crowd when you do 2 dayers or more.

Re: prop pitch & altitude: I'm pretty well versed in what happens, as I've dealt with this issue ever since I left my boat in Pagosa Springs, CO. The first year of having the boat I couldn't understand why the engine would stall once I fired it up at the high lakes (10,000+) (60hp Evinrude outboard on an older V-17 pro deep V Tracker). I took it to a local fishing/boating shop in Durango, and ended up buying several different props with differing pitch, so I could change them out depending on where I trailer it to (Vallecito Reservoir or Alamosa at 7,500ish versus some of the high lakes up toward Silverton 11,000). It makes a vast difference, and yes, you don't stall at idle or when slow trolling.

Billy Bass
05-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I guess I'm a really crusty of fart! I remember my first 1/2 day trip in the early 70's was 6.00 on the city of seal beach.
Overniters to catalina ran $12.00 and the trips to Celemente were a whopping $18:00. p.s. gas was around 33 cents a gallon:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Tail Chaser
05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Sounds like carb jetting issues. The air is so thin, engine has no power off idle. Needed a prop that puts no load on the engine at idle speeds.
If the outboard has an air screw. That effects the idle circuitry.
Getting more air in should clean up the bottom end. Getting some of the power back. All at the turn of a screw.

There's carb jets for low end, mid range, and full throttle settings.
Basically little flat head screws with holes going through the centers. They come in different jet hole sizes. Gas flows through them mixing with air. Giving proper fuel/air ratio.
Two stroke engines are very sensitive carb settings.
If the carb was calibrated for Calif. Sea level to 3000ft.
The carb jetting will be getting way to much gas at 10,000 ft.(thin Air)

Could call some high elevation shops.
They may have some jet/ premix ratios that work well in the high country.
Sounds like running a smaller prop for a less hp engine is doing the job.
Am curious if your spark plugs are burning black.

The last cattle boat bashing I got sucked into. Was because some pvt boaters were getting bashed.
Or am I in denial :rolleyes: :LOL:

This thread was joking around of only 90 anglers on a cattle boat.
I think its only a cozy 75 that go out isn't it. :confused:
This computer is why I didnt get out WSB hunting three weeks ago :Evil:

TerryC
05-31-2008, 06:58 AM
"Sounds like carb jetting issues" exactly!

The higher you go, the less dense the air is, so the less "air" it contains for a given volume. All naturally aspirated vehicles experience a distinct change in both power and efficiency at higher altitudes. Turbo charged and electronic fuel injected engines compensate for altitude. I am not sure if your 60 HP Evinrude is EFI.

As you go up in elevation, air density becomes less and those engines fitted with carburetors will begin to run rich. For prolonged operation at higher elevations (generally for two or more weeks at an elevation of 4000 feet or more) carbureted engines can be improved by installing smaller main jets to get the fuel/air ratio back to where it belongs.

Failure to reinstall the proper main jets when returning to a lower altitude will result in a lean condition in the engine. This can result in stuck or melted pistons and a great deal of damage to your engine and pocketbook. Most EFI-equipped engines automatically compensate for changes in elevation.

At 10,000 feet you may have to change the jets. I would think that a local marine mechanic would know this and using a different prop pitch is more of a band aide than a long turn solution. You can call Evinrude if you havn't already:

have your engine model number and serial number available, and contact us at:

Johnson-Evinrude Dealer
and Consumer Support Services
250 Seahorse Drive
Waukegan, IL 60085
Telephone: (847) 689-7090
Available Hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm CST
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/Contact/United.States.Canada.htm?popup=true

Cap'n Ron
05-31-2008, 07:44 AM
TerryC

Nicely done.

Refreshing when peeps chip in and share. Non efi engines are gonna struggle for air at altitude. We fish Cherry Creek lake in Englewood Co on up to the higher lakes. efi is the way to go. Never had to change a prop on the older mercs, just changed the jets and all was good.

There is some good information on props on another board I won't mention but is does give the formulas for prop pitch for different uses. High speed, hole shots, towing, etc,,,

Over or under propping an engine is BAD.

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 08:25 AM
TerryC

Nicely done.

Refreshing when peeps chip in and share. Non efi engines are gonna struggle for air at altitude. We fish Cherry Creek lake in Englewood Co on up to the higher lakes. efi is the way to go. Never had to change a prop on the older mercs, just changed the jets and all was good.

There is some good information on props on another board I won't mention but is does give the formulas for prop pitch for different uses. High speed, hole shots, towing, etc,,,

Over or under propping an engine is BAD.
I could use that prop info CR. Maybe a PM?
Comparing a 300hp 350ci with a bravo 2 drive and a duoprop.
Also a 383ci with 50ft lb more of tq. With them two drives.
The tq of them engines is 350ft lbs and 400 ft lbs.

Looking for the best setup to scoot across the water faster at lower rpm with best mpg.

Cap'n Ron
05-31-2008, 08:40 AM
PM sent.

On my Shamrock I'm running 13x11 rh. I'm not real fast but I can tow some heavy schtuff. Have tow set up cause it used to be a Marina boat. My mpg is right up there. MDR to Catalina and back on less than 15 gals of diesel. When I run the fly I use one tank to get there and fish and the second tank to come in. Center displacement and a keel with a shaft drive.

I don't worry about out drives and lower units anymore.

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
PM sent.

On my Shamrock I'm running 13x11 rh. I'm not real fast but I can tow some heavy schtuff. Have tow set up cause it used to be a Marina boat. My mpg is right up there. MDR to Catalina and back on less than 15 gals of diesel. When I run the fly I use one tank to get there and fish and the second tank to come in. Center displacement and a keel with a shaft drive.

I don't worry about out drives and lower units anymore.
What rpm at what cruise speed are you doing with that prop?
15 gals round trip to Catalina? You must be getting 3 mpg or better.
I was looking into diesels for my boat.
A 4 cyl diesel doesn't have the power to push my boat. Cost is 24k also.

A $32k 6 cyl diesel will not fit very good.
Would need 6" of more forward space. Fuel tank in the way.
Would also have to raise my engine hatch 4"
That im not willing to do. I like my flat decks.
Those engine prices are complete with drives.

A complete Merc 383ci efi is 13k All carb 383ci are pushing over 400hp.
All new small blocks with trans run near 13k.

Cutting corners could stay with my Alpha 1 outdrive.
Then replace smallblocks at 3k for rebuilt or 6k for new.

My boat needs to do 20 kts to get on plane.
Bravo 2 drives have huge props that are suppose to lift heavy fishing boats on plane faster.
Probably giving a nasty list condition. Trim Tab that out.
Bravo 3 duo props. are supposed to have 30% more forward thrust then a single prop.
Sounds like that gives more speed at lower rpms. Planeing sooner again?
Bravo 2 is a stronger unit.
Everybody seems to upgrade to duoprops. Ive been told the bravo 2 is better for my boat.
Very hard to get good accurate info out there.
Paying 11k to 19k more money for a diesel would take a long time to break even.
Diesel fuel cost about 1.00 per gal more then gas also.
Will have to live with burning more fuel per trip with the gas motor.

A engine/drive upgrade probably get me 1.8 mpg. if lucky 2.0 mpg.
Getting like 1.5 mpg now. 3400 rpm@19kts 16x14 prop 1.47 gear ratio.
Had a 15x17 prop. 3200rpm@21kts. Very nice. Broke a tooth on a pitted pinon gear.(Mechanic didn't change:Evil:)
16x14 prop slower. But much easier on the outdrive.
On the computer again. No mtn bike ride at the beach today. Guess I should go finish installing my fresh water washdown.

Cap'n Ron
05-31-2008, 01:27 PM
cruise it at 1900rpm 16 mph.....fast enough for me.
I just filled both tanks to the top. Taking xtra weight with me like when I'm fully loaded down for the fly. Gonna run my burn numbers back and forth and see if I'm not squeezing 4mpg or more.

Tanks are 25 usable. Pick-ups mounted way back in the tank. My bait bag is mounted on my port stern. I run the port side tank when I leave port. Coming back in I'm drawing off the starboard tank the ride stays nice and level. I don't play with the trim tabs that much port to starboard when running.

Yeah Diesel is a buck or more a gallon, but I'm getting way better than 1.6 per.

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
1900 rpm at cruise. Whats the redline on that Perkins?
The 4 cyls work great in 24' and smaller boats.
The Yanmar and Volvo diesel tech guys both told me I need 300hp.
Thats requires the 6cyl in line.
I need more ponys to play with.

My inflatable gets like 15mpg.
Thats good enough for me.
Got to take it out to the shoe.
Pinpoint exactly one kind of mpg I get.

GeordyBass
05-31-2008, 02:30 PM
damn,now i know i dont want a bigger boat then my 13' whaler,,,3-4 gallons of gas a day...

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
damn,now i know i dont want a bigger boat then my 13' whaler,,,3-4 gallons of gas a day...
You also dont have to worry about getting out there where..... Your going to scare yourself on them big waves either.
I keep my swim fins for economy