PDA

View Full Version : 91 Tracker Problem

Fishing-Frank
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
40 HP Evinrude 2 Stroke. Was Running Fine. Had surgery and it's been sitting a year. Starts but can't prime properly. Prime bulb too hard. Runs For 10-15 seconds then dies out. A Friend suggested something about oil and gas making something in carb stick.

I'm new, and any help would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sparky70
05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
You got problems.....Gas is stale and turned to jelly.......try running some Sta-Bil in your tank. You can buy it at Wally-World. Also pour it in your carb.

GeordyBass
05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
oh yeah that sucks...
Remember if you know you are not gonna use your boat for a long time,run the motor with the gas cable disconnected so you dont have that problem,,,hope you get it fixed.

Fishing-Frank
05-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. If fuel stabilizer doesn't work, is it an expensive fix?

Cap'n Ron
05-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok,,,

Are you using a portable tank or a built in tank. I'll assume you have a portable.

Empty the tank in another can and put it aside.

Replace fuel line and bulb with a new one.

Do you have a pressure cap on your tank? If so release the tank pressure.

Remove the cowl and spray some starter fluid in the carb and yank or crank it.

Better yet POST a pic or two of what your working with.

Hope this helps. Should be an easy fix for ya.

reaktion4
05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I have had this problem before, What happened was that the gas evaporated and the oil/gas mixture turned into a thick varnish paste. This usually causes your carbs to gum up. You need to spray starting fluid into the carbs in order to try to free the carbs up. Just as Capt R said. Next time you store it, always run stabil into your tank and into the motor. Hope this helps. Should not be a big problem at all. GOOD LUCK!!

Fishing-Frank
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks alot guys for all your help. I'm new to boating as you can tell. I have a built in tank that still has gas in it. Do I syphon out the old gas and put new and spray the carbs as suggested? Can I treat the gas that's in it now? Recommend any products?

This is a outstanding site.!!

Cap'n Ron
05-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Well if you think your tank is real bad have a shop check it out for you.

I had to pop the deck lids of my Shammy and cut square access holes in each tank. The crud I pulled out was amazing. Stringy, cotton like threads, black and green. Wiped out both tanks with a cleaning solution, made some gaskets and stainless steel plates, sealed it up and have had no problems in the last 175 hrs of running.

Keep in mind this is a DIESEL.

Tail Chaser
05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks alot guys for all your help. I'm new to boating as you can tell. I have a built in tank that still has gas in it. Do I syphon out the old gas and put new and spray the carbs as suggested? Can I treat the gas that's in it now? Recommend any products?

This is a outstanding site.!!
After 1 year of sitting. The gas in your tank may be stale. But should not have turned to varnish. Put in a good amount of STA-BIL in your tank.If the motor still doesnt stay running after CR tips.
Changed out fuel filter??

Be careful of starting a fire.
With the fuel line disconnected from the carb.
Just bump the motor enough to see if you got fuel getting to the carb. Or use the primer bulb if that works.
If you do.
Then your jets and/or the needle valve may be gummed up/stuck inside the carb.
Spray carb cleaner in the fuel inlet. Cleaning all the gum/varnish out.

If you dont,
Just start backtracking from the carb. Looking for the blockage.

Hey Cap'n Ron
Finally got rid of that lame username Broken Rod.
Ive always heard of green nasty stuff that can grow in diesel fuel tanks.
Guess its true.
Kelp stringers in your fuel tank :cool:

Cap'n Ron
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Much better TC!

Yeah that schtuff was ALIVE man!

But I'd rather deal with the diesel than a gasser any day.

If this weather co-operates I'm out all weekend Friday thru Monday. Gonna kill me some feesh.

one_leg
05-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Ron, I can hardly wait to drag your tug down to SD again once the tunnas are biting.

Fresh fuel always.

Cap'n Ron
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Alan,

I just filled the truck and the boat for the weekend. $5.03 per gal.

35 gallons in the truck 50 gallons in the boat.

Took it right in the pooch.

Yeehaw!

Tail Chaser
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Much better TC!

Yeah that schtuff was ALIVE man!

But I'd rather deal with the diesel than a gasser any day.

If this weather co-operates I'm out all weekend Friday thru Monday. Gonna kill me some feesh.

I decided 2 weeks ago to add a horizontal 3 rod storage rack mounted on the port side of my boat. Should be a 1 day job.:rolleyes:
Made 3 bulkheads for the rods to go through. After cutting the carpet. Thought carpet sucks, Yanked that out. Now looking at rough cut fibreglass.
Decided to glass everything over making the boat stronger and totally waterproof.
Still going to epoxy primer everything before painting.

I should of hit Santa Cruz this past weekend for some WSB.
Dragging my feet working on the boat.
Now I'm screwing up. People are catching my fish :Evil:
And I still haven't installed a fresh water washdown yet.

Where you thinking of launching for a Muti Day trip?
The Muti day trips offset the fuel cost bigtime.
More fishing before she needs a cleaning also :cool:

Nice thing about taking the time of setting up the boat right.
I'm totally burned out on working on this thing. But no shortcuts allowed.
After spending seems like hours. Looking for ways of running the water hoses. For a washdown.
Woke up this morning thinking.
Dang boats got a cabinet under the bathroom sink. Plumb it there. Lots of room for a 25' hose.
Bathroom has shower drains also :cool:
Now waiting out the 7 day curing time of 3M 5200 in rainy 42 degree weather :Angry:
At least the fish probably will not be biting :LOL:

Whisky
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Dig the new name, TC! Much better.

Cap'n Ron
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
All depends on where the feeshees are. Figure if I cruise at 9 or 10 mph I'll have the fuel to run down or up the coast. Coronado or Channel Islands. All depends on the weather right now. Dangit.

karlow
06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm working on a 1990 tracker pro deep 17, and it has a 40 HP Johson.
Your fuel should not be that bad after just one year. I would try this first. Don't use starter fluid on your 2 strokes! Get a spary bottle and mix some gas and oil (40:1 should do).
I would first drain the carbs, and spray cab cleaner in there. Check out the gas in the tank if it does not seem bad, add a bottle of carb cleaner. Use some rags to catch the fuel, and pump some through the carbs (bulb no cranking!) with their plugs out to clean them up. Spray some more carb cleaner in there and put the plugs back in. Clear out the rags, and the fumes.
Pull the cover off the carbs. Hook up the water, get the fire extingisher. Give the carbs a shot and crank it. Once it fires up, you can keep it running on spray. The carbs might clear up.
After that does not work, pull the carbs and clean them right, like I just did!
PS the boat runs well on the spray! It just did not get the job done on the carbs. The gas in my carbs smells like hell, my guess is at least 2 years maybe more.

Good luck