PDA

View Full Version : Late Afternoon High-tide?

City Dad
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm considering options this coming week-end and I noticed high-tide is going to be in the late afternoon - 2pm on Sat, 3ish on Sun, etc...

As I'm looking for a place to take City Girl, I'd be very interested to hear from you old salts regarding your experience at fishing these times. I know this isn't the perfect scenerio, but is it a waste of time?

Appreciate any advice.

kozaki
05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Go for it. I had my best day at a 1:30ish peak (high tide).

Cangler
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I think it depends on the beach ..

If it gets deep quicky , then id say it makes no difference.

If its a shallow beach , then that would be better .
At least higher water would cover the crab beds.

fish_sauce
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
As I'm looking for a place to take City Girl, I'd be very interested to hear from you old salts regarding your experience at fishing these times. I know this isn't the perfect scenerio, but is it a waste of time?

Appreciate any advice.

the swells from the local SoCal beaches have been pretty strong the past couple of days in the afternoon. (probably due to the full moon) so watch out for high swells and rip currents...i fished in three different beaches yesterday (sunday) and conditions were similar with all three---clean/clear water but very high swells, strong rip current, and very slow bite--the fish i pulled up were typically smaller than usual too. (maybe the larger ones move further out during high swells or during full moon after they feast on the spawning grunion? or maybe they are less reluctant to bite after being so full...?) how about checking out a local harbor to fish at? it might be better worth your while than hitting the surf. i usually get better luck during the new moon phase when i'm fishing in the afternoon/night time.

i was at newport harbor yesterday and there was a school of half a dozen fat croakers cruising around in front of me but they wouldn't take my offerings. i even chummed musscle out, but no takers. they just swim right by it.