PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Point

Hawkeye
05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
First impressions are everything and Rocky Point (limited load) out of Redondo Sports Fishing didn't make a good impression by simply being MIA for a trip on Sunday May 18. I made reservations several days prior to the trip and called Saturday night asking if Rocky Point was going out and it was a go. The boat was supposed to depart 5am, because it takes about 50 minutes to get to the landing I had to wake up early 3:30am, go through equipment check list (packed everything in the car night prior to the trip but I like to check again), wash up and eat something light . I finally show up and there were already 13 people waiting also. We all waited and waited, waited, waited, and waited….John the owner from Redondo Sports Fishing, kept calling the captain but no answer. He left messages and no call backs from the captain. Finally he called the trip off around 5:30am. John really felt bad and apologized to everyone and to make up it he gave to those still waiting a 50 percent off coupon on another trip.

Well, I am thinking, something serious must have happened so I called the landing on Monday to see if everything was okay, thankfully everything was but at the same time I was irate because apparently the captain of the Rocky Point slept in and didn't bother picking up the phone or returning any calls. Redondo Sports Fishing has always been good to me so this incident won't stop me using their services because they have other fine boats, e.g Spitfire but I am not a happy camper. Granted everyone is human and make mistakes but in an economy where people are watching their dollars carefully you can lose potential repeat customers and I doubt I will ever consider Rocky Point as a boat I want to get on.

I am sure there are far worse stories then mine but I never had a cancellation based on a captain sleeping in.

vanillagurilla
05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
half off the next trip? did you pay for the trip the capt didnt show up for and if you did, did you get your money back and the 1/2 off cupon or ???

Hawkeye
05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
half off the next trip? did you pay for the trip the capt didnt show up for and if you did, did you get your money back and the 1/2 off cupon or ???

Thankfully, it was not one of those trips where you had to pay prior to showing up at the landing. I got there and got ready to pay but John did not want to collect the money until he was sure that the boat was going out.

troutdog
05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
That is ridiculous....with gas prices and limited days to fish I would have been pretty miffed too, at least they tried to make good with the discount tix. You won't catch me on that boat....thanks for sharing your experience although it was not a good one. Spitfire and City of Redondo are always safe bets, hope you crush it out there when you use those coupons!

TD

Ricky-Ray
05-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I've been on that boat twice before and the captain and crew were great. The cook was awesome made some great taco's for lunch. John and Dee Devore (owners of the landing) are really great people and try to accommodate everyone.