PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth 5/16 & 17

greg
05-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Just got back from a few days in Mammoth. Arrived Thursday night and watched the Spurs beat the Hornets at Whiskey Creek. A slow night in town. The weather this weekend at Crowley was hot (in the upper 90's with no wind).

Friday morning, got my rental boat at Crowley at 7 am and fished a few different spots directed by the girls working the register - 3 spots in McGee Bay, two spots at Sandy Point and Alligator Point but dumped my camera! No even a bite with inflated crawlers, PB and Berkley Roe. Then headed to the West Shores (between McGee and Hilton Bays) in 15 feet of water with limits on inflated crawlers in 2 hours. Didn't fish the evening since I was I Grumpy's watching the Lakers close out the Jazz (no AC in the place, it must have been in the high 80's in the bar).

Saturday morning, got in another rental and drove straight to the same spot in the West Shores, which I had all to myself. This area in 13 feet deep and drops off to 18 feet (where I was tossing my inflated crawlers on a 15 inch leader). I was pulling my anchor in 45 minutes with my limit (all around 3/4 pounds). I'm told this spot has a spring in it. A few trollers drove by with one boat saying "this spot is loaded with fish". It's been a while since I was the first one off the lake and at the cleaning station =)

Saturday evening, I tubed Lower Twin Lake in Mammoth. Told that they just planted 120 Alpers in the lake. I jigged up 6 Alpers (and released all since I had my limit from Crowley) in the 2 1/2 - 4 pound range on red power worms with my newly wrapped Sage stick. There were over a dozen fly fishermen from tubes with nada. Another tuber was throwing red power worms and hooking up. Such a great day that I left Mammoth Sunday morning without a thought of going fishing...

IncredibleHuck
05-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Good job out there man. What tube do you have? I was tubing the upper lake on saturday evening, and must have released about 15 brookies up there.

I'll have my report up later tommorrow.

greg
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I have a Fish Cat that I purchased from Sports Chalet just after the Labor Day sales for $119. Much better than my Caddis since I sit higher in the water, I move faster and stay dryer/warmer. But I get blown around more than the Caddis.

besttimespent
05-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I have a Fish Cat that I purchased from Sports Chalet just after the Labor Day sales for $119. Much better than my Caddis since I sit higher in the water, I move faster and stay dryer/warmer. But I get blown around more than the Caddis.
I have the same problem with my fish cat 4. I did buy a parachute for it that works well. As for the caddis, I like to use it in the when the weather gets warm.

SoCalGuy7
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you had a blast, thanks for the report....

SCG7

greeper
05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
[quote=greg;191435] Another tuber was throwing red power worms and hooking up. quote]

Was that guy throwing the red power worms an older gentlemen? If so I hooked him up the night before on Upper Twin. I was slaying them on the red power worm where the waterfall flows into the lake. It was a fish every cast with a mix of rainbows, brookies and browns. The middle lake was loaded with alpers also, but the bugs were nuts.. Also Gull lake is WFO on power worms just drift them...

Big Kahuna
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Greg:
I forwarded a copy of your report to Mark Kaihara and Roy Fukushima. Good job in finding a spot of biting fish. As you know, I fished Crowley the week after the opener. The midges were hatching and the trout weren't biting. However, the fish we did catch were hefty.
Go Lakers! Lets hope we can see a Lakers/Celtics Final.
Big Kahuna

greg
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Greeper - this name Is Jim Thorpe. I've fished with him several times over the years at Mary and Mamie (mostly at Mary). One year, he hooked into 178 Alpers (I might be off by a few)!

Hope to hook up with you one of these trips to Mammoth...

greeper
05-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Sounds cool, yea the Red Power worms were the ticket. I fished the middle lake and did ok, but when I put on the red PW it was on.. Same thing for the upper lake, on Friday night I had the lake to myself for a little while which was sort of cool. There were only 3-4 other tubers at most and one of the older gentlemen fished next to was a very nice guy, then again I rarely meet other fisherman up there that aren't cool.