PDA

View Full Version : Any luck with PB Turbo or Chromaglow ... and

billy b
05-18-2008, 07:43 PM
how have the new Gulp series been working?

Joshua
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
how have the new Gulp series been working?
I think it is trash. More money for bait that wont stay on the hook
I stick with the original or turbo. The Gulp seems to fall off, not as bad as Crave, but not as good as the original.
Maybe it is just me???

troutjig
05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I agree it seems a little flaky and not as firm on the hook as the regular dough. Im stuck with 15 jars of the gulp dough in 4 colors because the tackle shop I work at was gettin rid of all the gulp powerbait and I was excited that I could get it for a dollar a jar instead of 5 or 6 like other shops sell it. I have caught alot of trout on the gulp powerbait but from past experiences it requires you to not put alot on the hook and make more of a lob cast and not fire it out there as much as you would with the original powerbait.

Badfish2
05-19-2008, 03:37 AM
I cover all my baits in scent anyway, so color has played more of a roll than the brand. Anything in Yellow or Orange or Lime/light green works awesome in the sierras covered with Garlic Scent of course. ;)

tackle guy
05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
I've had nothing but great luck with the Gulp Bait. You may have been using a less popular color than some of the others... Chunky Cheese or Marshmallow Cluster would have been my choice for this time of year. Chunky Cheese was named as one of the number one dough baits in the Eastern Sierras for about 6 to 8 weeks running last year by WON. There are some trouters that mix it with Salmon Peach Power Bait, which was the other number one rated dough bait. For best results try using a size 20 treble hook on 2 or 3 lb. test line, just make sure your drag is set for 1/2 to 3/4 of a bound. Don't be affraid to move the bait just a smidge about every 30 seconds. As far as it staying on your hook, I've fished it last year at South Lake with a Power worm on a size 10 Tru-Turn pan fish hook and it stayed on for at least 4 casts. I never casted more than 4 times before I had a fish on. Another great Gulp bait is 2 Gulp eggs on a size 10 owner mosquito hook placed just pasted the hook onto the line so the entire hook is exposed. The Gulp eggs stay on longer that any dough bait out there and they work just as good or better. White is always great for this time of year and orange and or pink usually work all year long. The Gulp minnows are also a kick to fish with. I've had great luck on the 2 1/2" Black Shad and Watermelon Pearl fished on a split shot, C-rig, or drop shot.

billy b
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
that at Green Valley, one day, the chartreuse C-glow just hammered them when I was anchored between the aerators.

Thanks for the info

billy b
05-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Have you tried the new PB called "Garlic?"

Which garlic soak do you like to use, BTW?

blacklab1
05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
I agree that the GULP POWER BAIT has a tuffer time staying on the hook. I started leaving a few nuggets out of the jar while fishing so that it would setup a little bit. This seemed to keep it on the hook a little better. I used the CHUNKY CHARTREUSE, RAINBOW CANDY, AND CHUNKY CHEESE on a trip to Silver lake 5/14 to 5/20 and did very well.

I also bought the jars of GULP PB in the jars that are just filled with the bulk bait not premade nuggets and had a much harder time keeping it on the hook compared with the nuggets. After the first day I sat in camp and made a bunch of my own nuggets with the bulk PB and let it sit out for about an hour, I then put it back in the jar and used it with better results keeping it on the hook and it still produced good bites with even a couple BROWNS taking it.

jeff4321
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I have never had a problem using gulp dough baits. (staying on hook wise). it would only fall off when there was too much on the hook. make sure you use small amounts of it when you use it. bigger bait doesn't necessarily mean bigger fish...just use less amounts and spend more time molding it onto the hook, make sure there ARE NO cracks in your bait. the cracks make it easier for water to get into the bait and seperate it from the hook. so its all about the molding time. Never had gulp fall off on me once..

nator
05-23-2008, 10:21 PM
all the power bait does well if you sit on the shore or a boat. if you want to catch fish throw some lures and switch it up. that new scent does not work better than anything else. it just makes money you cant beat a matuka on the troll. peace love three flowers grease