PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Line...

phish
05-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

I spent some time researching fishing lines on the net, but all I find is stats on them. It's time to respool a few spinning reels and I wanted to know what you surf guys spool up with. I will be targeting hali's and the typical BSP and YFC. A friend of mine says he doesn't use anything but P line fluorocarbon.

Thanks for the input guys...tight lines...

ish...

fishnfool
05-18-2007, 09:36 PM
P line makes one of the best lines available.....I say try it....

PUDD MASTER BAITER
05-19-2007, 07:17 AM
PERSONALLY IVE SWITCHED TOTALLY TO USING FIRELINE CRYSTAL BRAID ON ALL MY TACKLE. ONE SET UP I USE, IS MY SHIMANO 2500 SPINNING REEL, I USE OFF THE JETTY WITH A 9FT MED. IM7 SPINNING ROD THE 12LB WHICH IS ACTALLY THE DIA. OF 4LB. I CAN GET OVER 200 YARDS ON IT WITH LOTS OF LONG CAST ,AND POWER TO HANDLE ANY THING OFF THE JETTY. THE FEEL IS UNBELIEVABLE DUE TO NO STRECH. P-LINE IS THE SAME PRICE . WHICH I USE FOR MY LEADER. THE BRAID LAST FOR EVER WHILE THE P-LINE WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED . IF YOU EVER WANT TO FEEL EVERY HIT TRY THE CRYSTAL.. IF NOT DONT WASTE YOU MONEY PUTTING ON A FULL SPOOL OF P-LINE.JUST USE SOME GOOD CHEAPER BRAND, AND USE THE P-LINE FOR LEADER ONLY. THE SPOOL WILL LAST YOU FOREVER.JUST KEEP IT IN THE SHADE.HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK MIKE THE PMB....

Cangler
05-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I have been thinking of using braid this year,but ive heard that it
cuts into the reel spool lip ...

Also,what is it like on line twist ?

Fisherman57
05-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Phish...

I use P-Line on all my surf reels.

phish
05-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys for the info...Have you guys ever had any problem with line twist on the spinning reels? The reason I ask...is I have one spooled up with Berkley Vanish...the transition one that turns yellow in the salt...and I seem to be having that issue. I am off to the tackle store...Thanks again for your input.

ish...

halijedi
05-19-2007, 02:03 PM
P-Line Fluorocarbon: Thick, heavy, and a lot of memory problems.

P-Line CXX: Great line. Strong, but tends to be very "stretchy."

Berkley Vanish: YUCK!

P-Line Halo or Sunline Shooter: Only two flurocarbon lines I will use today. STRONG, thin, limp, low memory, smooth...

Fireline Crystal: The line does not stay on the reel well. Lots of wind knot issues on spinning gear. Prefer regular Sufix Braid.

If you were to ask me, if I am hali-hunting, I have one rod with Sufix braid and P-Line Halo on the other. With these two set-ups, I can tackle just about any surf fish, small or large.

KaliDawgFan
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I use Cuda 10# and have done fairly well. I used 20# Trilene XT for the leopard sharks.

DA_Beaut
05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Cuda or Triple Fish for 12# and under (spinning of course). Both are a little hard to find but take a beating when under pressure... P-Line also makes a good line. Best of Luck.

KaliDawgFan
05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Both are a little hard to find

Big Fish in Seal Beach and Angler's Marine in Anaheim (right down the street from SARL) both have large stocks of Cuda line of all kinds.

DA_Beaut
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Both are a little hard to find

Big Fish in Seal Beach and Angler's Marine in Anaheim (right down thr street from SARL) both have large stocks of Cuda line of all kinds.

Good to know... Turners used to carry it but I havent seen it there for the past few years. And now that I live in the IE, finding quality tackle usually takes a full day driving to the coast. Thanks

kissthecrook
05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Yozuri Hybrid or P-line cxx for main; seagur for leader. P-line fluoro-clear is a nasty bad line that twists and kinks and gets real visible real fast. Yozuri is fairly limp and I would not use it as a leader. There is a rad tackle store in Brea on Imperial near State College that has some good deals on Yozuri , if they still have the spools frum Fred Hall.