PDA

View Full Version : Sea Horse 5/17/08 - My first yellow!

jplee3
05-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Went out on the Sea Horse overnighter out of Dana Wharf with a couple buddies of mine. They went to San Clemente Island on a full load of 25 anglers. The boat left a bit late as they got in late from Thursday's overnighter - Butch, in the galley, was pissed because that group had no clue what they were doing. Today's group was pretty decent - there was at least one guy from Bloodydecks and most of the other guys seemed to have some experience.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase [warning: long story if you hate to read]...

Around 3:30am I got up because I hear the boat's motor on but no movement. I went up to the deck and Butch is up along with several other guys. We start dropping anchovies and dead squid in the water for calicos. I picked off a few (mostly shorts) here and there. Then I dropped a chovy to the bottom and my rod loads up - it was probably a good 2lb'er. I released it. Even though they're tasty, I have an affinity towards releasing calicos :)
We make a few more drops and some of us picked up some sculpin.

http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474318_6483.jpg

The morning was pretty slow - we made a couple moves for breezing yellows but missed. Also tried for WSB near one of the shores but to no avail. Bummer... we moved to a couple more locations to take a pick at more calicos, sculpin, whiteys, and blue perch. Mostly just little fun. I got a short calico off my Tady. First fish off an iron! :P Got lots of practice with the Saltist and got to launch irons with the Curado... it was so smooth until I bird nested it beyond repair. I was able to salvage the backing when I got home but the mono is all cut up :(

Capt decides to move around the island in search of more breezing yellows. He finds a school but it turns out to be bonito! Several guys hooked up - two guys w/ spinning reels kept hooking up but losing them! I threw out my iron but was too slow and missed a strike - bonito grabbed it and spit it back out right away. These guys were crashing the surface! It was amazing! Anyway, after about 30 seconds of the flurry, it dies again. Capt goes a bit further down still in search and finds yet ANOTHER school! We throw lines out and I tried again with the iron (scrambled egg) and missed on another hit! UGHH... I decided to switch up to live bait at this point. We had live squid, so that was a big plus. My friend ended up hooking up with a nice bonito as well. He's not used to open faced reels so it was a good thing I had him using my levelwind :D He landed it no problem with a little coaching.
Capt still was in search of yellows and suddenly warned us again of a school heading right towards us. After several moves on the yellows (they were breezing back and forth) about 5 other boats and ours got them circled and they started showing fin closest to us. I immediately tossed out a live squid w/ a 1oz egg sinker & circle hook. After about 5 mins of letting it drift, I reel it back in and toss it out again. Still no love. I start reeling in a little bit but let the squid run since my line is further out. All of the sudden, my 'spidey sense' goes off and I point the rod tip up slowly.... the rod loads up and I reel (circle hook): BENDO!!! FRESHIE!!! At this point I wasn't sure if it was a yellow or a bone but I was hoping for a yellow. Since this was my first big fish, 2nd Capt Todd coached me through it and helped out at the hard times. After about 15 mins I landed a 20+ lb yellow! YES!!! It turned out to be the only yellow of the day (a few guys also said they had hooked up on a couple but lost them)... most of us thought it was gonna be the jackpot fish but it got beat by a MONSTER 30lb halibut that some guy pulled up earlier on. DARN!

http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474320_7013.jpg
http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474322_7534.jpg
http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474325_8357.jpg
http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474329_9448.jpg
http://photos-653.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v240/191/33/545848653/n545848653_474330_9775.jpg

In either case, I was pretty stoked. And I'm still pretty stoked. In fact, I still need to go cut up the belly and eat some yellowtail SASHIMI! YEEEAH!!!

About the boat: the crew of the Sea Horse is pretty awesome. In accord with what others have said about the boat, the captain (Tyler) worked extremely hard to put us on fish. And he'll actually let us fish too :) He's a good guy and is smart in his approach and tactic to following and moving in on the fish. The crew was great too - they really tried to help all of us out when we needed it. RE the bunks, yea it was pretty cramped and it smelled like BUNK. But I'm a guy... what else? I felt bad for the one girl that came along with her boyfriend though - I can only imagine what she must have been thinking :O Brave girl...

My final count:
1 Yellowtail
1 Whitefish
1 Sculpin
1 Sheepshead
1 Blue Perch (not sure why I decided to keep this)

halo16
05-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the report! And Congrats on that Yellow!!

Loco
05-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow, a 20+ on your first? That is awesome. Many more to come im sure. Thanks for the report. I cant wait to get my boat out to SCI soon!

vince champion
05-17-2008, 11:42 PM
wow congrats on your first and PB! lol 20+ lb must be amazing pulling that sucker up. hurry up with the pic! i wanna see this monster

vince

jplee3
05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys. Pic posted! Sorry, I didn't take too many others - most of them are of me and the fish, so I figure one is enough to post :)

Oh yea, forgot to mention the sea lions - those pests actually stole one guy's bonito as he was bringing it in... :( Fortunately the deckies were able to ward off the sea lions by making racket and all (slapping the gaffs in the water and throwing beer cans at them :D) while I was fighting. I was cranking like none other trying to get that thing to the boat while avoiding the seals.
Oh and I didn't have my fight belt on me like 3/4 through the fight. Towards the end some guy lent me his - I think if he hadn't I might have lost the fish. I almost lost the fish going under the boat but Todd was able to save it. NOTE for funjunkie74: I caught this bad boy on the Avet SX! ;) It hurt fighting it on the 8ft Seeker American, but it got the job done. I'm happy with the setup.

pokerface12
05-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Congrats on your first yellow. Did you have to eat the heart of that yellow, since it was your first? If not, the crew and passengers let you off easy. Once again nice fish and congrats.

fishhead
05-18-2008, 07:58 AM
That was a great read,I am sure your stoked..You will learn more each time you fish..always watch the crew and see what they are doing when they fish..they do it everyday so they have the touch..very nice yellow.

jplee3
05-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I must have been sleeping last night when I said I would only post one pic! Haha, forgot about the monster halibut pic and my friends bonito...

They didn't have me eat the heart or anything. I think it slipped their mind later - the guy I think wanted to weigh it for the jackpot or something first and said "let's do it when we get the fish cleaned" or something like that. I guess I got off easy :) I actually thought they were going to have me eat it first because he asked if it was my first and then was like "you know what that means right?" but he just ended up raking the gills, getting his hands bloody and then slapping the front of my t-shirt so that a red handmark was on it. Should I frame the shirt? lol

JapanRon
05-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi jplee3,

Wow, great detail ..... excellent read !! More than happy to take the time to read such an informative thread !

Slightly off topic:
Ya gotta feel for the crew when an inexperienced load of anglers makes their efforts totally wasted ...... as in the sense of anglers not catching fish ..... count not reflecting the boats/crews ability and effort, and ...................... $$$$ No fish to cut .... no 'fish cleaning' money ..... which can be a big part of a boats on-deck income.
Back to topic

Thanks,

Await your next adventure,

tsurikichi

cappo
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
nice job man, congrats on your first yt

4g63power
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
you look stoked there buddy...congrats on your first yellow

Jig-Guy
05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Congrat's on your tail:). Your report and pic's are great. It was not that long and I enjoyed the detail. Be sure and write your next adventure the same way.

Jig-Guy

sansou
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Congrats on your first yellowtail! Good looking fish!

jplee3
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys! Even more credit to the crew. A few more details I didn't mention that were crucial - during the entire time fighting the yellow, my buddies mentioned that the deckies and even other anglers were tossing fish they caught (bonito they didn't want, sheepshead, etc) out so that the sea lions wouldn't go for the yellow. Now that I think back I distinctly remember a dead bonito floating around for the sea lions! It apparently worked! Todd also saved my fish when it started making a run UNDER the boat - he was able to get it back around the anchor and at that point I was able to bring it up to be gaffed. PHEW! JapanRon, I agree with you on inexperienced but also rude anglers :( Butch said one guy tried pissing in one of his boots on the overnighter before us...! No wonder he was so pissed. By the end though he seemed happy. And I made sure to give a nice tip... well, the nicest I could give considering my wallet was empty by the end of the trip :O That hurt, but it was worth it for the yellow :D

One other thing I forgot to mention (along with probably many more): there were ZERO bananas on the boat! YESSSSSSSSS!!!

Ricky-Ray
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Great report and pics. Congrat's on your first yellowtail. 20#'s for your first is an awesome one.

steve092
05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Great job on the yellow tail.

Those things taste great.

Liteliner
05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Congrats on your first yellow man. They pull hard dont they? Glad you had fun and thanks for the report.

flopps1
05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Yep...should of eaten the heart....Brings good karma! Anyhow, your hooked on the tail fishing! That's awesome! Congrats!

Don't give up on the iron, though! Practice...Practice...Practice! Nothing like catching a yellow on the iron!

Funjunkie74
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
It was only a matter of time till you land your first YT!! Great job!!
Ah...I remember my first YT...that was fun!!
Then I remember k3vin's first YT...that was funny!!

So I guess now you're addicted?!?!
BTW, what gear were you using when you landed the YT? The 113H?

FJ74

jplee3
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
It was only a matter of time till you land your first YT!! Great job!!
Ah...I remember my first YT...that was fun!!
Then I remember k3vin's first YT...that was funny!!

So I guess now you're addicted?!?!
BTW, what gear were you using when you landed the YT? The 113H?

FJ74

Hey man, I noted it in one of my posts, but I was using the AVET SX! Paired with an 8ft Seeker American. It hurt using that rod, but I don't think I would have cast out as far if I wasn't using it either, so a fair trade. I just got my 2-speed SX so I'm looking forward to using that one! I ended up not using the 113h at all on the trip. I guess that one is reserved for a big ling or tuna, whenever the opportunity arises :)

I'm hooked man. Except, after catching that one I didn't want to catch another on the last stop, so I practiced chucking the Tady :D

Ricky-Ray
05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
after catching that one I didn't want to catch another on the last stop

Keep this in mind..."The rail is your friend."

LOL

jplee3
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Keep this in mind..."The rail is your friend."

LOL

HAH! I was thinking about using the rail the whole time but I think the guys coaching me would have yelled at me, thinking I was going to 'rest'

Todd kept yelling "you ain't resting until tomorrow. WIND! HURRY!!"

hahaha :D