PDA

View Full Version : Looking for NorCal place to camp/fish

spacemanspiffcp
05-16-2008, 04:37 PM
me and a buddy are going camping in June, but we don't know where we want to go. We would like to go somewhere in NorCal, but I have no clue where there are good places to fish and camp. Anyone have any ideas? We would prefer a place that's quieter (not tons of people), and where we can shore fish cuz we don't have a boat. Thanks

troutslayer05
05-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Yosemite.......Great place to camp and fish...watch out for bears thoo

Ronira
05-16-2008, 06:24 PM
How far north?

spacemanspiffcp
05-16-2008, 10:36 PM
probably north of sacramento, but we're pretty open

sky
05-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Other Choices: Caples Lake, Scotts Flat Reservoir, Lower Bear River Reservoir, Silver Lake - Carson Pass

Lewiston Lake: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14429

Ronira
05-17-2008, 05:54 AM
You might want to check out El Dorado county. There are tons of lakes and rivers up there. Google El Dorado County fishing and you'll have a ton of stuff to choose from. Also the Fish Sniffer online site has a fishing reports section that has good info. Neveda County to the north has a lot places to choose from as well.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
How about northeast of Fresno??? Shaver lake, Huntington Lake, Wishon Res, Courtright Res, and if Kaiser Pass is open there's Edison and Florence Lakes, and the many streams between the lakes. Check Western Outdoor News for the current catch and conditions. I'll be going up that way to Wishon Res. in the middle of June to camp/fish like I do every year. Great time to go before the summer crowd shows up. Wishon Village (campground) has very clean tent and RV sites and also have rental boats. Shore fishing is always good for me across the dam where a small creek enters the lake. Rainbows, browns, and brookies are there to catch, very light lines and the most natural baits work the best. You can use Powerbait, but the bigger and natural trout like either nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, or live crickets. My fav is the crickets because they are like candy to those wild browns. Fly fishing the lake is pretty easy too. From shore you can use the fly and bubble and still catch as many or more fish that way. Early season flies that work best is a Zug Bug, cricket imitation, or numerous streamers. Where ever you go have a great time and enjoy the great outdoors.

Koshaw
05-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Or the Eastern Sierras...Most of it is open now...some parts WIDE open...

They are catching 10-dozens of fish per person per day now =).

Bishop, South Lake, Intake II, Sabrina, Twin Lakes, Gull Lake, Crowley, etc.

Homeslice
05-22-2008, 12:39 AM
delete....

Badfish2
05-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Or the Eastern Sierras...Most of it is open now...some parts WIDE open...

They are catching 10-dozens of fish per person per day now =).

Bishop, South Lake, Intake II, Sabrina, Twin Lakes, Gull Lake, Crowley, etc.

I agree with this post.. forget norcal .. unless you're headed to the smith river.. now that's a whole different deal there

spartafish
05-23-2008, 05:48 PM
i camped at lewiston reservoir last summer. it was amazing. we were there for 4 days/3nights, and there were two other groups in the camp site the whole time (not including the camp host.). we went the week after their huge fishing derby so it was kinda slow but we still caught a fair amount of fish. i highly recommend Lewiston Reservoir.

as for me, im trying out Wrights Lake this summer. seems like a nice place. if anyone has experience of it, let me know. or if anyone knows of any other smallish lakes where you can camp on the water, i'd appreciate it.

sky
05-24-2008, 09:38 AM
i camped at lewiston reservoir last summer. it was amazing. we were there for 4 days/3nights, and there were two other groups in the camp site the whole time (not including the camp host.). we went the week after their huge fishing derby so it was kinda slow but we still caught a fair amount of fish. i highly recommend Lewiston Reservoir.

as for me, im trying out Wrights Lake this summer. seems like a nice place. if anyone has experience of it, let me know. or if anyone knows of any other smallish lakes where you can camp on the water, i'd appreciate it.

14 miles shoreline: Lower Bear Reservoir camping on lake.

Gold's Lake: Packer - Haven - Gold - Snag - Salmon and Sardine lakes - small - camping near by. 1/8 of a mile.

SMALL: Woods Lake and Kirkwood Lake, Red lake,Morning Star (Big Reservoir)

Blue Lake in Lake County and in Carson Pass both have campsites on the water.

Silver lakes near Bucks Lake: super primative -Silver Lake's road was pretty torn up last year.

Lake Clementine - Boat in Camping 8 miles shoreline only 25 campsite.

Sparky70
05-31-2008, 05:53 AM
Spaceman,

Forget Yosemite, it sucks in the summer.
Go to the Eastern Sierra around Convict Lake or June Lake or any of the lakes in the Loop....Rates in summertime really cheap....