PDA

View Full Version : Open Party Boats

r!der
05-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Questions about open party boats

If you win Jackpot, how much of it should you tip the crew? (you guessed it, I haven't won jackpot YET:ROFL:)

Also...I'm just curious, is there an unwritten rule that says you should ALWAYS go in on the jackpot?
I personally always put in the 5 bucks, but I noticed on some of the boats, crew members were treating some "differently" for not going in on the jackpot. :ROFL:

When throwin bait/chum why do some deckhands throw literally 1 or 2 fish at a time? If the boats running low on bait I understand, but there's times I see plenty of bait even as we're heading back. I have been on boats were they'll throw scoops at a time, If I remember correctly, these were usually on the more successful trips.

Lastly, what's a good boat to take out of Long Beach:???:

Ricky-Ray
05-16-2008, 11:54 AM
If you win Jackpot, how much of it should you tip the crew? (you guessed it, I haven't won jackpot YET:ROFL:)

That's up to you. It's your winning's if you win jackpot. Personally I give it all back to them. They don't make much in the way of base pay and rely alot of tips and fish cleaning money.

Also...I'm just curious, is there an unwritten rule that says you should ALWAYS go in on the jackpot?
I personally always put in the 5 bucks, but I noticed on some of the boats, crew members were treating some "differently" for not going in on the jackpot. :ROFL:

As far as I know of there is no rule that you have to go in on jackpot. I always do so if I do win jackpot I know for sure it will go to them.

When throwin bait/chum why do some deckhands throw literally 1 or 2 fish at a time? If the boats running low on bait I understand, but there's times I see plenty of bait even as we're heading back. I have been on boats were they'll throw scoops at a time, If I remember correctly, these were usually on the more successful trips.

I would assume if the fish aren't biting what's the use of throwing out scoops of bait.

Lastly, what's a good boat to take out of Long Beach:???:

Which landing? Long Beach 55, Pierpoint, Long Beach Marina? Are you looking for 1/2 day, 3/4 day, overnight, 6 pack? Lot's of good boat's out there, just depends on what you are looking for.

ymin72
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Depends on how big the school is. no need to waste bait if they only see few fish visually or on the meter.

vanillagurilla
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
they'll through scoops to get the fish to ther surface than just a few at a time to keep them there. if the fish are full they wont eat your bait :).

pokerface12
05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I've to agree with Rick-Ray when it comes to jackpot. If you happen to win the jackpot, it's up to you on how you want to spend your money. As for me, I normally tell the deckhands to pay off my galley tab and to keep the rest for my fish cleaning bill. The deckhands are usually happy with this arraignment. This ensures that the next time I'm out I not only get the inside tip, but the hottest bait in the bait tank.

Also...I'm just curious, is there an unwritten rule that says you should ALWAYS go in on the jackpot? No there is no unwritten rule that says you have to enter a jackpot, it's your money and u decided what you what to do with it.

And to answer your question on chumming and the amount of chum? It all depends. For example when your fishing calico bass in the kelp, you don't want to over feed them. After two sardines they'll be full. I much rather be on a boat that knows how chums conservatively and effectively than a boat that over chums. You never know when your going to need that bait, it could be late in the day when the bite picks up. Now your out of bait because you chum heavily throughout the day.

jplee3
05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Regarding the bait tank and manners, what's the etiquette involved with that anyway? The first time I went out I didn't know but apparently I was fiddling with some other guy's anchovy that he had picked out. But he didn't say anything and just stared at me... I was like "oh, is this yours or something?" and he just nodded his head. He ended up winning the jackpot - dunno if it was with that bait but in either case...

I just know that some guys will hangout at the bait tank, etc. They also say not to scoop out your own bait from the live well or to stick your hands in there, but I've see guys grabbing the scoop net and helping themselves.

Is there any 'etiquette' for the bait tank or what?

migfrias
05-16-2008, 01:10 PM
There is or at least use to be a "art for chumming". If you have ever looked at the old tuna stick boats, the chummer was the hero or zero for bringing in a school of tuna (chumm master). In most cases, when metering a spot a captian will ask for a scoop over the side. Aside from the electronics it will tell the captain whether a spot is bitting or not. After seeing boils he will most likely come around again and anchor up or drift. Depending on what he sees, he may only ask the chummer for 1's and 2's. This will keep the fish intrested and not over feed them. If he sees and is trying to get the attention of a nerby school while at anchor, he will ask for 1 or 2 brails followed by 1's and 2's.

Unless the captain or deckhands are sleeping at the wheel house. Never ask the captain if he can chumm more bait. Most cappys can read the water and fish, to know how much to chum.

miguel

Ricky-Ray
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I just know that some guys will hangout at the bait tank, etc.

Guys that will hang out at the bait tank are looking for the best looking bait. Here's a snip from a post on another board about bait selection.

BAIT SELECTION

In terms of live bait fishing, the saying "10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish" really boils down to bait selection first, and the presentation of that bait second. You can not land a fish without getting the fish to bite first. Makes sense. If you have ever seen a particularly successful angler, someone who seems hooked up all the time, approach the bait tank, you would probably have seen someone spend a fair amount of time just identifying the individual bait he wants to select. More time is then spent netting that one particular bait that was selected. You then might see him wet his hand so as to not damage or remove the baits scales, and then gently but firmly grasp the bait, hook it as quickly as possible and get it in the water.

Why would someone go through all that trouble? Because they want the liveliest, healthiest and most natural bait in the water to induce a strike. Yes, there are times when a fish will eat a dead bait, or a sardine that has been crushed on the deck, or even an ear of corn. We call this type of fishing wide open, because the fish are so aggressive they bite with reckless abandon. But it is what we call scratch fishing, when only 10% of the people fishing will get the bite, that bait selection becomes key.

What do you look for when you go to select a bait? In general terms, you want the best looking, fastest, most active bait in the handwell. The one that is the hardest to catch is the one you want. Avoid sluggish baits, baits with red noses or red scales as these baits will be ineffective unless the fishing is "wide open". If the bait is picked over and you can't find a "good" one, don't hesitate to ask the deckhand to put a fresh scoop of bait in the handwell. He may have been busy throwing chum and watching for fish boils to notice the handwell hook baits getting low.

Two important points on bait tank etiquette; do not leave your rod at the rail, bring it with you to the bait tank and never leave the bait scoop in the handwell with the remaining baits you did not select. This is important. Leaving the net in the handwell will surely damage and/or kill the remaining baits, and leaving your rod at the rail while you go to the bait tank may become a hazard to the other anglers as they follow their hooked fish up and down the rail of the boat.

Now that you have selected a lively, healthy bait, how do we present that bait in the most natural way possible to induce a fish to strike? In other words, how do we get a fish to eat a bait with a hook piercing its body, dragging a considerable amount of monofiliment fishing line through the water, while at the same time trying to make it appear as "natural" as possible? That will be the subject of my next post to follow......

I hope that some of this information on bait selection you will find useful. It is a big ocean out there with enough fish for everyone. Armed with enough knowledge and a little bit of luck, there is no reason why you should not be part of the 10 % catching fish....

sansou
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
For pelagics, hook selection (gauge and size) and lively bait are critical, IMO. For example, thick gauge circle hooks and itty bitty chovies don't make for "lively" presentation....just wait until you see the bait before tying on. Avoid the red nosed dines....they are cursed!Good luck out there!