PDA

View Full Version : Freelance 3-14-08

boxl0bster
05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
After seeing all the reports about huge bones, I just had to get a few for myself! I debated for awhile with a friend of mine if we should go out or not since the reports on tuesday said it was dead... but good thing we decided to give a try anyways!

When we were heading out, the capt. said we'd be heading out to catalina and on the way there try and see if we can find the bonies. YESSS!
About an hour before fishing one of the crew/deckhands I forgot his name but he held a seminar in the galley telling everyone how to rig up etc... I knew most of the info but its great that they do this. Plus I might learn something new. The crew was great they were quick with the gaff and really wanted to make sure we caught at least one of these huge bonito. As they chummed for us they would yell out tips and instructions to help make sure we got on the fish. The crew was just awesome really helpful and friendly, by far the best crew I have fished with. :Thumbs Up: Lastly the guy who gave the seminar said its been at least 15 years or more since he's seen them this big. Hearing this new just got me more fired up to getting one for myself!

We were about 2 hours out when the capt. saw a fishy spot and we started fishing. There were a few boils but not many, I dont remember if we picked up any bones at the first stop. But The rest of the stops produced quite a few! I wasted a good 30 minutes or so with the bait. The whole day they didnt want any of the bait, too bad for those who stuck it out fishing bait. I think I heard the deckhand shout only once that one was caught on bait. So after wasting a good half hour we changed our attack plan. He started throwing krocs and I tossed out the one and only tady I have lol. :p

I think it was my 2nd or 3rd cast that I hooked into my PB! Man that thing was a beast! I hooked into him at the bow and it took me back to the stern and back halfway to the bow before I was about to get him up to gaff. It was an awesome experience! I was stoked to catch my first fish real fish on my new rod/reel setup and catch my first fish on an iron! :Envious: I am hooked! I'm going to go out as soon as I can and start picking up some more tadys lol.

My friend was hooking into them just as well as me. They were hitting his kroc like a freight train. But he lost 3, I think to either getting sawed off or his 20# line wasnt cutting it. Luckily he did land one and was able to experience the line peeling action from these huge bonies. :Envious:

We fished for the bonito a little while longer and the capt. decided to head to catalina and fish the kelp for some calicos. Rig of choice for many were fly lined sardines. Saw a few people tossing plastics like my friend and I but we only had a few bites. I think the majority of the calicos were caught on bait. Half the boat was getting on calicos while the other half facing out to sea was getting a good pick at the boccacio. We gave the calicos a few more casts and moved over for some boccacio. We hooked into a few of those and the capt decided to try another spot. The last spot produce very few calicos and we ended our day there.

Ended the day with 3 HUGE bonito farmed 1 and one boccacio. My friend got 1 bonito and broke off 3 and 1 boccacio.

Oh yeah during the chaos of catching those huge bonies, like a dufus I tossed one of my bonies into the sack next to mine...:Idiot: so for a good part of the day I was trying to figure out who owned the sack next to mine. This is the only conclusion I could think of, the other is that someone took it, which I doubt. I looked into the sack that I most likely would have thrown it into the one on my right and it had two in it. I remember looking into the sack and seeing only 1 so I just figured thats mine so I'll toss it into there. The other sack on my left had like 4 so that eliminates it. Oh well I didnt have enough room in my freezer for 3 anyways haha. :Embarrassed:

Ended the day with 3 HUGE bonito, farmed 1 and got 1 boccacio. My friend got 1 bonito and broke off 3 and 1 boccacio.
The two I took home weighed 10.10 and 8.3lbs my buddys fish was 8.3 too.

All in all a great day on the water, the crew and capt did an awesome job and it was great meeting and talking to all the guys that fished around me. :cool:

ymin72
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Good job Ernie.
What color iron were they biting?
Hit me up next time bro.

Ricky-Ray
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Way cool. Glad you got out there and had some fun. Congrat's on your first fish on the iron. Catching them on the iron is way fun.

Liteliner
05-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Nice man. Good to hear you got into some bones. You made the right call. Congrats on a pb bro.

b20monster
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
good job out there ernie.... finally see you out in the ocean... but as mike said, hit us up next time you plan on going out. been a while since i fished.

camrydad
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Good job. It worked out better for you than it did for us on Tuesday. I was debating on going out today as well but work was calling...sucks for me.

Congrats!!!!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
im going out tomorrow on the freelance..hopefully they stuck around and maybe they will be bigger!!! :LOL::Envious:..i only have my curado 200 with my 8ft heavy okuma to use haha but i will be throwing 60lb braid..btw nice job man

Stormcrow
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Good for you man. I remember a particularly strong El Nino when I was a kid in the mid 80s. Horshoe Kelp had some HUGE bonies like that then. Im glad to see they are still out there somewhere!:Envious:

ghetto dad
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
GREAT job ernie!!!! Way to go man....

GD

Fisherman57
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Good work out there Ernie! Nice!

vince champion
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
gj ernie! havnt caught a bone head yet! one of these days i will feel the fight of them bonies.

4g63power
05-15-2008, 09:46 PM
good job ernie! must've been fun man..thanks for the report..see you around bro..

pokerface12
05-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Nice going on the bonita... Pound for pound one of the hardest fight fish in the ocean. Must have been fun. Thanks for the report.

sansou
05-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Congrats on your first iron fish!

one_leg
05-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Ernie, thaks for posting up another great report!

I am real happy for you and your friend!!!

I hope we get to fish together again sometime this year. :cool:

O_L

boxl0bster
05-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Good job Ernie.
What color iron were they biting?
Hit me up next time bro.

thanks mike, they were biting on chrome/metallic blue, teal, and i was using a green/white mack pattern. for the krocs my buddy was using green mack and chrome. yeah man, let me know if you guys go out too.

Way cool. Glad you got out there and had some fun. Congrat's on your first fish on the iron. Catching them on the iron is way fun.

thanks! yeah the iron is crazy i have seen the light. :ROFL:

Nice man. Good to hear you got into some bones. You made the right call. Congrats on a pb bro.

thanks for your help the night before haha. im glad i decided to give it a try.

good job out there ernie.... finally see you out in the ocean... but as mike said, hit us up next time you plan on going out. been a while since i fished.

dara, yah man i havent had the time to go out. ill definately give you guys a call next time. llet me know too. pm me your cell again i got a new phone and the numbers are all messed up.

Good job. It worked out better for you than it did for us on Tuesday. I was debating on going out today as well but work was calling...sucks for me.

Congrats!!!!

sorry to hear about tuesday, seeing how you guys did on tuesday really discouraged me. but i figured its fishing so i'll just give it a shot. get out there asap and let me know how you do. :Cool:

im going out tomorrow on the freelance..hopefully they stuck around and maybe they will be bigger!!! :LOL::Envious:..i only have my curado 200 with my 8ft heavy okuma to use haha but i will be throwing 60lb braid..btw nice job man

how did you do????! that 60braid should be good haha. my friend was using 20# mono. i would suggest 25 if possible. thanks for hte reply man!

Good for you man. I remember a particularly strong El Nino when I was a kid in the mid 80s. Horshoe Kelp had some HUGE bonies like that then. Im glad to see they are still out there somewhere!:Envious:

damn i wish i was old enough then to get them lol. thanks for the reply. :)

GREAT job ernie!!!! Way to go man....

GD

thanks steve! i gotta get out sometime with you again.

Good work out there Ernie! Nice!

thanks dana! lets do a team57 charter somday. :D

gj ernie! havnt caught a bone head yet! one of these days i will feel the fight of them bonies.

yeah get out there! i've caught quite a few in the past but nothing like these monstars. even the smaller versions are fun.

good job ernie! must've been fun man..thanks for the report..see you around bro..

thanks jimmy, we all should hook up and get on the salt sometime soon.

Nice going on the bonita... Pound for pound one of the hardest fight fish in the ocean. Must have been fun. Thanks for the report.

thanks, yeah i love catching bonito i remember once i was hooking into quite a few on the monte carlo i think and the guy next to me said bonito no good. lol oh well.

Congrats on your first iron fish!

thanks sansou! it wont be my last! :p

Ernie, thaks for posting up another great report!

I am real happy for you and your friend!!!

I hope we get to fish together again sometime this year. :cool:

O_L

thanks alan, glad you enjoyed the report, we definately gotta get out on the salt again or maybe get some kitties at the vine. ;)

Oz
05-17-2008, 08:14 PM
wtg ernie on your bones

boxl0bster
05-18-2008, 02:08 AM
wtg ernie on your bones

thanks man theyre more fun than tuggin on those rockfish last time. haha

Wingnut
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice job Ernie, love fighting those Bones. Maybe I'll get butt back out there one of these days. ;)
Love your avatar by the way... what is that, a pill? :Envious:

boxl0bster
05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Nice job Ernie, love fighting those Bones. Maybe I'll get butt back out there one of these days. ;)
Love your avatar by the way... what is that, a pill? :Envious:

thanks arthur, you need to get back out there asap, i'll be sure to let you know the next time i plan on going out.
i still need to hit the surf with you and dana again and try out that LC FM.:)

i think its a pill haha. :Envious:

JapanRon
05-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi boxlObster,

Nice job ! Yes .... it's a hard call on the fish in others sack business ! Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Here's a hint from an old moo-moo guy !! Thinks you can do to id your sack !!

1) Obvious .........put your number on it. No obvious put the same number inside the sack if you can find one or save the same number from a trip before.

2) Hang your sack surrounded by your buddies ... if you have any ! .... ha ha ha

3) After hanging your sack (back side) the usual way on the pegs, hang the front top of your bag on the pegs too ! Eliminates guys trying to peek in your sack with attracting attention.

4) Put your sack at the very end of the pegs so you know it's yours for sure.

JapanRon

Troutman65
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Was this the Freelance out of Newport Beach?

Congrats on your catch.

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

boxl0bster
05-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Hi boxlObster,

Nice job ! Yes .... it's a hard call on the fish in others sack business ! Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Here's a hint from an old moo-moo guy !! Thinks you can do to id your sack !!

1) Obvious .........put your number on it. No obvious put the same number inside the sack if you can find one or save the same number from a trip before.

2) Hang your sack surrounded by your buddies ... if you have any ! .... ha ha ha

3) After hanging your sack (back side) the usual way on the pegs, hang the front top of your bag on the pegs too ! Eliminates guys trying to peek in your sack with attracting attention.

4) Put your sack at the very end of the pegs so you know it's yours for sure.

JapanRon

awesome thanks JP! i had my number on it but i think in the confusion caused by the hot bite is a major part of my mistake. :Embarrassed: after that my buddy and i moved our sacks to an empty side and that seemed to work out pretty well. i like number 3 i htink ill do that the next time i head out. thanks again jp. :)

Was this the Freelance out of Newport Beach?

Congrats on your catch.

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

yeah out of davey's locker, thanks for the reply tm. :Cool:

troutdog
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Nice looking bonheads Ernie, thanks for the detailed report and pics....good job buddy!

TD

boxl0bster
05-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Nice looking bonheads Ernie, thanks for the detailed report and pics....good job buddy!

TD

thanks aaron, i did a scouting mission for some macks but it was too windy to fish. ill be pm'ing you soon to get some for kitty bait. :)