PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing 101

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey all,

Looking for some basics here. I haven't fished salt in years, but it's time to ease myself back to it....so....... I will primarily be throwing in H.B., likely south of the pier. Can I get away with using this real basic setup?

Shimano 4000 series spinner.
7' Ugly Stik, MH action.
10 or 12 lb line?

I know that it's more of a catfish setup, but I am hoping to just get started.

Thx all,

Japo :Envious:

tacklejunkie
05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Sounds like an OK setup for throwing LC's.
What will you be going for?
If you want to target perch on that rig too, just use some 4-6lb leader with a camo sandworm on a mosquito hook.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Sounds like an OK setup for throwing LC's.
What will you be going for?
If you want to target perch on that rig too, just use some 4-6lb leader with a camo sandworm on a mosquito hook.

O.K., thanks TJ, that is cool. You also present a good question. I want to mix it up between live bait (sand crab, maybe ghost shrimp eventually) and artificials. My next question was to be.......what is a simple target fish? In other words, as a carolina rig is pretty versatile in the fresh, what would be the equivalent in the surf? Is there such a set up? I'm used to using a C-rig with chovies from a pier, slip or boat, or flylining squid strips from a pier, but this is going to be pretty new to me. I am open to all suggestions, salt is NOT my strength, even though I grew up by the beach my entire life (I don't surf either :Shocked:). As usual, I am not asking for spots and what absolutely works, just a primer.

Thx all,

Bassripper2000
05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Have you seen this post... very informative

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

tacklejunkie
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm not too hot at Surf fishing yet myself, Either.
you'll do good on 1/2oz C-rigs.
An easy target would be Perch of the BSP and WSP type. They're everywhere in the surf. Doesn't really matter where you go in socal, you'll probably find some.

Sandcrabs will bring you all kinds of fish, as will "ghosties".

With the hardbaits, stick to 10-12lb.

If your gonna toss out grubs, sand worms, lug worms, sand crabs etc, I'd go with 6lb fluoro leader.

I know Dana has a nice writeup on the site somewhere.
This oughta get you going on the perchies. You'll pick up all kinds of other fish on bait as well.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks Bassripper2000, I forgot all about that post!

r!der
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM

VERY NICE, INFORMATIVE AND CLEAR! THANKS for the link, and Thank You Fisherman 57 for taking the time to post that!

vanillagurilla
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
ill tell you 1 thing from personal experiance. i have caught more fish on the GULP camo sandworms in 2" peices than ghost shrimp. lol. havent used sand crabs yet.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
ill tell you 1 thing from personal experiance. i have caught more fish on the GULP camo sandworms in 2" peices than ghost shrimp. lol. havent used sand crabs yet.

Cool vanillagurilla, you lend support to the article! I have a very good idea where to start.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
05-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Lucky craft Lucky craft Lucky craft!!;);):D flash 110 minnow saltwater series or fresh.. in saltwater metallic sardine!!and in fresh auroa black. Ive been getting big halibut everytime i go to bolsa chica mostly in the mouth of the jetties on low tide outgoing, go to the south side the rocks not the sand walk down to the sand on low tide and cast out towards the waves on the inside about a 20 ft cast 10 feet paralell from the rocks and do a slow retrieve...i get slammed usually on the first cast! i lost some big butts in there..Have fun i say if you want big halis try what i said...but im using baitcasting my curado 200 with 40lb braid and my 8ft okuma med heavy.

Good luck man,

Larry,:Envious:

Fisherman57
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I wrote Surf Perch 101? as a "guideline" for those that are new to surf fishing and just want to get out there and give it a try...... certainly, the methods, baits and equipment I mentioned should only be considered SUGGESTIONS......

I recommended 2" Gulp Camo Sandworms as a "perch locator" bait..... its been my experience, that if there are BSP's in the area you're fishing, they will almost certainly hit the Gulp.

I've also had good success with Ghost Shrimp as well on days when I couldnt buy a bite on a artifical.

The Ghost Shrimp & Slurp Gun article I wrote offers a way to find your own ghost shrimp and a "how to" on building a tool for capturing them yourself...... again, the article is only a SUGGESTION meant to be expanded upon!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=178393#post178393

As far as hardbaits such as the "Lucky Craft Flash Minnow" etc...... well, thats a whole different subject. I'm working with Wingnut and some other great surf fishermen and we will be putting together a good "guideline" featured article on that subject soon!

Keep in mind that these are just OUR suggestions and there are certainly lots of great fishermen out there who have other methods, baits etc... that work just as well.

See ya on the beach!

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Lucky craft Lucky craft Lucky craft!!;);):D flash 110 minnow saltwater series or fresh.. in saltwater metallic sardine!!and in fresh auroa black. Ive been getting big halibut everytime i go to bolsa chica mostly in the mouth of the jetties on low tide outgoing, go to the south side the rocks not the sand walk down to the sand on low tide and cast out towards the waves on the inside about a 20 ft cast 10 feet paralell from the rocks and do a slow retrieve...i get slammed usually on the first cast! i lost some big butts in there..Have fun i say if you want big halis try what i said...but im using baitcasting my curado 200 with 40lb braid and my 8ft okuma med heavy.

Good luck man,

Larry,:Envious:

Cool, thanks Zombie Bass! Perhaps we will cross paths out there.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I wrote Surf Perch 101? as a "guideline" for those that are new to surf fishing and just want to get out there and give it a try...... certainly, the methods, baits and equipment I mentioned should only be considered SUGGESTIONS......

I recommended 2" Gulp Camo Sandworms as a "perch locator" bait..... its been my experience, that if there are BSP's in the area you're fishing, they will almost certainly hit the Gulp.

I've also had good success with Ghost Shrimp as well on days when I couldnt buy a bite on a artifical.

The Ghost Shrimp & Slurp Gun article I wrote offers a way to find your own ghost shrimp and a "how to" on building a tool for capturing them yourself...... again, the article is only a SUGGESTION meant to be expanded upon!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=178393#post178393

As far as hardbaits such as the "Lucky Craft Flash Minnow" etc...... well, thats a whole different subject. I'm working with Wingnut and some other great surf fishermen and we will be putting together a good "guideline" featured article on that subject soon!

Keep in mind that these are just OUR suggestions and there are certainly lots of great fishermen out there who have other methods, baits etc... that work just as well.

See ya on the beach!

Thanks F57! You know this site is the best!

See you out there,

Greg-Da-Basshole
05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
all u need is a carolina rig, bullet weight with a bead and a swivel.(some people use the carolina keepers but after a while the keepers start to slide so i recommend the swivel) then tie a lead (about a foot long)to the other end of the swivel then ur auberdine hook or mosquito hook. i have used all kinds of bait cept ghost shrimp and the one that just kills em is the 2" camo sandworms. it is the best bait for the surf. ive pulled up everykind of surf fish from the barbed surf perch to walleye to halibut, corbina, croaker, all out of malibu. godd luck