PDA

View Full Version : Deep Cycle Battery Recommendation

WalePescado
05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I haven't even received it yet, but I bought a rubber ducky online. Yes, a 9.5 foot inflatable. It's not a Sevylor but it's not a Zodiac either. I'm going to get a 30lb thrust Minn Kota Endura and was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on what kind of battery to get (i.e. CCAs). The lighter and less expensive the better!

Thanks.

Oh I'm also thinking rod holders fabbed to the battery box.....que bueno?

Ronira
05-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Your going to need to check the battery amp hr requirements on the motor to decide on your battery size. I have an Endura 36 and it need 105 amps per hr so I got a battery that puts out 115 and it works great. I also have my rod holder attached to my battery box and it's perfect. I put a plywood backer inside the box and ran wood screws through from the outside then ground off the points inside the box with my little grinder so it wouldn't scratch up the battery. I'll take a photo later ( it's 430 am right now and I don't want to wake my son ) and post it up if you want. Good luck with the duck. Ron

Tail Chaser
05-15-2008, 08:01 AM
I believe most cheap deep cycle batterys are like 105 Amp Hours Group 24
115 AH for a G27 The G27 weighs like 10 lbs more.
That's the Costco and Wally world stuff.

Tail Chaser
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Your going to need to check the battery amp hr requirements on the motor to decide on your battery size. I have an Endura 36 and it need 105 amps per hr so I got a battery that puts out 115 and it works great. I also have my rod holder attached to my battery box and it's perfect. I put a plywood backer inside the box and ran wood screws through from the outside then ground off the points inside the box with my little grinder so it wouldn't scratch up the battery. I'll take a photo later ( it's 430 am right now and I don't want to wake my son ) and post it up if you want. Good luck with the duck. Ron

I would like to see a pic.
Ive got a 8' Merc inflatable with a 5 Hp. That 5HP weighs 55lbs. About the weight of a battery.
Take a look at www.defender.com They have really good motor prices. If you get tired of messing with a battery.
I never use my inflatable because of no rod holders.
Don't want to drill holes in the transom. I thing making a turn, The motor would hit the rod if mounted on the transom also.

Ronira
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Here is some pics of the battery box.

Z-TUNAKILLER
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I haven't even received it yet, but I bought a rubber ducky online. Yes, a 9.5 foot inflatable. It's not a Sevylor but it's not a Zodiac either. I'm going to get a 30lb thrust Minn Kota Endura and was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on what kind of battery to get (i.e. CCAs). The lighter and less expensive the better!

Thanks.

Oh I'm also thinking rod holders fabbed to the battery box.....que bueno?

Hey WP, i started out using a kirkland batt. from costco, it was very heavy and didn't last very long, i have a 50lb.thrust Minn Rip Tide, i took it back an got an Optima, way less weight & way more batt. life. Yeah i know its cost allot more, but for me having all the less weight and longer run time its well worth the added $$$...

my :My Two Cents:

Good Luck with your new Zodaic...:Thumbs Up:

B R, I used a tool box for a batt. box and made some PVC rod holders...

in your inflatable a tool box can be used for a seat and added storage ?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/NORMSZ/P9040001.jpg

Nice batt. box / rod holder set up Ron:Cool:

ToonZilla

FISH ON !

Ronira
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I was thinking about stealing Zdawg's idea but not sure if it would inhibit my access to :Food: so I just use my cooler on the back deck. Nice rig Z.:Beer Toast:

Tail Chaser
05-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Guys for posting them pics of your rod holders. (super good idea)
Xlnt jobs also.

Ive got a marine igloo ice chest that fits perfect between the tubes of my 8' inflatable.
That's where I will mount some rod holders.
The igloo has snaps on the sides for installing one of there seat cushions. It would be very easy to rig up the same setup on a toolbox. Could make your own cushions too.

Ive only used my inflatable one time. Putting only 8 hrs on my 5 hp Tohatsu. Breaking in the motor.
It only burned 1 1/2 gals of gas on that trip. The motor came with a 3 gal tank.

Gives you an idea of the range you could get out of your inflatables if you needed it.

Ronira
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I wonder how fast my toon would go with a five horse motor verses my 36 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor. I'm not real keen on carrying gas though.

Tail Chaser
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
You may get an idea by comparing props to engine rpms.
Every1" of pitch will move the boat 1" forward in the water.
My 5 Hp spins at 5000 RPM. All the small Mercs,Nisson, Tohatsu outboards are the same block. They engine specs tell you what props are on them.

I have no idea of what RPMs a Elec motor spins at or prop pitch/diameter.
Finding the TQ numbers of the motors would be more helpful.
More torque pushes bigger props helping you go faster and fight the wind and swells better.

A 4hp,5hp and 6hp outboard is a 123cc motor.
Like a 125 dirt bike motor.
The marine motors must spin like 1/2 the rpms of a dirtbike engine.

Probably best to call a salesman that stocks both.
Maybe he could tell you what performance to expect.
If a elec motor stays charged as long as you need. And does the job.
May not want to fool with a gas motor. Especially if you smoke.
The gases that escape out of a battery are also explosive.

WalePescado
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I just realized the "Dubber Rucky" has a battery bag. Seems useless so I'm still going to get a battery box. I like your idea Ronira as well.

I was thinking of getting a couple of clamp on rod holders to mount on the transom, but with the mention of the motor hitting them I will wait on that.

BTW...I found out today I'll very possibly be "given" 3-5K soon. No regrets on the purchase though as I have no place to store a boat!

Now where to make the maiden voyage?

Ronira
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking somewhere close to shore dawg! :ROFL: Sorry bro, couldn't hep it. Good luck with your ride dawg.

Tail Chaser
05-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I just realized the "Dubber Rucky" has a battery bag. Seems useless so I'm still going to get a battery box. I like your idea Ronira as well.

I was thinking of getting a couple of clamp on rod holders to mount on the transom, but with the mention of the motor hitting them I will wait on that.

BTW...I found out today I'll very possibly be "given" 3-5K soon. No regrets on the purchase though as I have no place to store a boat!

Now where to make the maiden voyage?
3K to 5K you could buy a lot of spare battery's.