PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing plywood

Tail Chaser
05-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Just fabed some custom rod storage racks for my boat.
Made them out of oak plywood.
Job turned out to be a real pain in the ***. So I want these things to last like 20 years.

Does polyester resin waterproof wood 100%? Top coating with marine deck paint afterwords.

Epoxy resin says on the label that it waterproofs. Expensive stuff though.
Really hate to make a 130 mile round trip for the epoxy in MDR.

Home depot carries the polyester resin/Fiberglass locally.

aboos
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
im not sure what the difference is between the 2 and im not sure which one i used..

all i know is that i bought it from home depot and it was like a quart size for $15 or so. i made a livewell out of plywood for our boat and coated it with this resin. it works perfectly fine, held the water, no leaks, wood did not get saturated or anything. however i did use like 2-3 coats.

Tail Chaser
05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I just returned my 1qt of Home Depot poly resin.
Bought a 1 gal for 35.00. Now I have enough resin to find more boat projects instead of fishing :Angry: :LOL:

Epoxy resin is thinner so it soaks into wood/fibreglass better.The label also says it waterproofs/seals Wood/Gelcoat
It also bonds to anything. Like gelcoat and does not flex. Very pricey 100.00 gal.

Polyester Resin has some flex and may not stick to gelcoat.
Poly Resin requires more prep work.Sanding off all gelcoat,paint,etc
But the can says 100% waterproof and will not shrink.
Good stuff. Just requires good prepwork.

Pretty cool you built your own bait tank.
My bench seat sits on a 48" storage box.

Next year Im building a 48" insulated fish hold in its place.
Mounting two helms chairs mounted on top. Instead of the bench seat.
Hopefully I will have room to make them swivel. So they can be turned to face the rear of the boat when fishing.

reaktion4
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I used the epoxy resin to fabricate a live well and it is 100% waterproof. But if you have alot of flex the resin will crack. But it will do great for rod holders. Good Luck!!