PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me on Braided Line

kozaki
05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Last time I was out, I found a few people fishing with braided line. Why? Is it stronger? Cast better? ????? I understand that you are to use a leader with this line- so I know that the braided line doesn't make it to the hook. But what else am I to know about this stuff before I try it out??
Thanks.

kozaki

tacklejunkie
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
No stretch. More sensitivity.
I've never used it yet. I don't like the idea that it isn't clear/transparent. Suppose that don't matter if you use leader though.
Also, the stuff I seen feels all waxy like dental floss. Didn't like that or the fact that it looks all funky.
I've heard I should be using 30-50lb braid on my C-rigs for LMB with 20lb mono leader, but that's understandable cause it's hard to feel the fish bite the C-rig when it's motionless so the added sensitivity could help in that respect..

ThemBastards
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I have some fire line crystal which is transparent. I have yet to really fish with it but it casts a mile.

Cangler
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Its so much thinner , you feel every bite and nick.
It also casts so nice , no more line twist or getting frayed in the surf

I use fireline and i'll never go back to mono

Ricky-Ray
05-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Braided line also called spectra or Spiderwire, Power Pro, and Fireline depending on manufacturer. Basically spectra is a nylon braided line that has a smaller diamater than regular mono and has almost zero stretch, and can last a long time on your reels too.

65# spectra has almost the same diameter as regular 20# mono. What does that mean to you? You can fill your reels with more line, or you can start using smaller reels for bigger fish since you now have the line capacity.

With a near zero stretch in the line compared to mono you can feel almost ever twitch of the bait and also ever nibble from the fish. Wonder why rockfish guys love using spectra, they can feel the fish bite from 300+ feet down. Most anglers would use the spectra as a backing and put on a short topshot of mono. Best part about this is that after every trip you can just strip off that short topshot and put on fresh line for your next trip. If you wan to use a different line class on that reel loaded with spectra not a problem just take off the old mono topshot and then put the new one on.

If properly cared from spectra can last almost 10 years. With spectra backing you will probably only be changing out 100-200 yds of line or less on every trip so that where you would be saving money also. The inital fill up of spectra will run more than mono will but since you are changing your line in shot topshots you will be saving money in the long run.

You can tie your hooks and jigs to spectra directly but most anglers don't do that since spectra gives very little to no stretch. Hence the short topshot of mono so they have some give in the line when fighting the fish. I have seen some guys fish straight sptectra and if they hook into a big fish they are in for a battle.

GeordyBass
05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
note:braided line is way tougher than mono because of the nylon braids,it is sensitive too.Some people use mono line as leader for presentation of the lure/bait.it all depends on what you are fishing,,,yo-zuri line is both braided and flourocarbon,i think that is my favorite line right now,best of both worlds,and it casts awesome too.

kozaki
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Great insight. Ricky-Ray- excellent write-up. I think I'll give it a try on one of my casting reels and see how I like it. 65# Spectra = 20# mono? Insane!

edit: I like the idea of the braided line lasting longer, especially on a trolling set-up. What pound braid should I spool up with on my Senator 4/0 (used for trolling)?

ThemBastards
05-13-2008, 04:19 PM
note:braided line is way tougher than mono because of the nylon braids,it is sensitive too.Some people use mono line as leader for presentation of the lure/bait.it all depends on what you are fishing,,,yo-zuri line is both braided and flourocarbon,i think that is my favorite line right now,best of both worlds,and it casts awesome too.

Its also more abrasion resistant than braid, so if you are fishing around a rocky bottom, or sharp structure you might think about a mono leader

Ricky-Ray
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I like the idea of the braided line lasting longer, especially on a trolling set-up. What pound braid should I spool up with on my Senator 4/0 (used for trolling)?

I would probably spool 80 or 100# spectra on there.

GeordyBass
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Its also more abrasion resistant than braid, so if you are fishing around a rocky bottom, or sharp structure you might think about a mono leadertrue that,,,
though monofilament breaks easier when fishing by pilings and stretches more as well,flourocarbon leader would be my choice for leader,the only downfall is it's pricier!:Smile:

That Dang Guy
05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
yo-zuri line is both braided and flourocarbon,QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bassmaster818;189103]
though monofilament breaks easier when fishing by pilings and stretches more as well,

I don't think Yozuri makes a braided line. If you're talking about Yozuri hybrid, it's a copolymer. Basically a monofilament with a flourocarbon coating. But i do love it as well.

To be honest, I'd rather have monofilament to flourocarbon when around pilings and long leaders around rocks. It's easier to tell if the mono is damaged vs the spectra. The uncoated spectra like Jerry Brown or Diawa Saltiga braid are even worse in abrasion resistance. The wax coating found on most other brands helps with this, but it prefer the limp feeling of uncoated brands.

Spectra is nice but not necessary to run short 8 ft leaders. 3/4 backing and 1/4 leader is usually ideal.

On a side note, I think birds nests out of spectra are easier to deal with. But when you step up to and eagles nest, it's worse. :ROFL:

SOSO
05-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Braided line stinks real bad after a long use, especially saltwater. I have braided line that i have been using for 2 years and still going on strong!

GeordyBass
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
[quote=bassmaster818;188842]yo-zuri line is both braided and flourocarbon,QUOTE]

I don't think Yozuri makes a braided line. If you're talking about Yozuri hybrid, it's a copolymer. Basically a monofilament with a flourocarbon coating. But i do love it as well.

To be honest, I'd rather have monofilament to flourocarbon when around pilings and long leaders around rocks. It's easier to tell if the mono is damaged vs the spectra. The uncoated spectra like Jerry Brown or Diawa Saltiga braid are even worse in abrasion resistance. The wax coating found on most other brands helps with this, but it prefer the limp feeling of uncoated brands.

Spectra is nice but not necessary to run short 8 ft leaders. 3/4 backing and 1/4 leader is usually ideal.

On a side note, I think birds nests out of spectra are easier to deal with. But when you step up to and eagles nest, it's worse. :ROFL:
i thought the hybrid was the only line?Thats the only one i could buy at BPS????LOL

bird'snestmaster818,,,:LOL:

Ricky-Ray
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Braided line stinks real bad after a long use, especially saltwater. I have braided line that i have been using for 2 years and still going on strong!

I usually strip the spectra off all my reels at the end of the season and wash the spectra line with freshwater. I've had spectra on my reels for 3 years now and it doesn't smell.

Here's how to care for your spectra, http://www.sdlongrange.com/content/view/12/31/

halo16
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Nice subject I have just used mono to fluro for some time now, But I think I would like to try out some braid to fluro?

Anyone know of good site or info on best knots to tie either for the braid to furo / mono? i would like to take a look.

Ricky-Ray
05-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Braid to mono/flour you can use a bimini to and albright knot or a uni to uni knot.

http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/bimini_twist.html

There are other connections but those are the main two that I know of.

The link also has guides to the albright and uni to uni knot along with other knot's.

halo16
05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks Ricky Ray!! After tying my first couple knotts if I lose a fish I can only blame myself lol...

Thanks

Liteliner
05-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Spectra is nice except when it cuts into your fingers. Ouch. Any suggestions there?

That Dang Guy
05-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Try using flexwrap for spectra. The coated stuff is a bit gentler on your hands than the uncoated.

I hate the bimini to reverse albright. It leaves a tag end that snags the guides on a cast if you use a short leader. I'm not too confident in the uni to uni test strength and use the PR knot to connect all my leaders. I am currently working on a loop to loop connection, but i can't quite get it to hold correctly.

Although, it may be slightly overkill. =D I would say the tying time is comparable to the bimini-albright connection. The bobbin does help tremendously, but i use a bow string serving tool.

http://www.anglers-proshop.com/product_view.php?product_id=262

Ricky-Ray
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I hate the bimini to reverse albright. It leaves a tag end that snags the guides on a cast if you use a short leader.

Wouldn't the simple solution be that you make your leader short enough so that it wouldn't go thru the guides in the first place or long enough so that when you cast it won't go thru the guides? That's what I usually do when I do my spectra to mono connection.

I'm not too confident in the uni to uni test strength

I've been using the uni to uni knot for almost 2 years now and have not had a failure on the knot. The uni to uni knot is a very strong knot. I know David Choate (Wahoodad) who is a seriously avid long ranger and pro staffer for several companies has been using the uni to uni knot for his connections when he's fishing cow tuna. If a properly tied uni to uni knot can hold up and catch a cow tuna, it can pretty much catch anything else.

fishhead
05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice subject I have just used mono to fluro for some time now, But I think I would like to try out some braid to fluro?

Anyone know of good site or info on best knots to tie either for the braid to furo / mono? i would like to take a look.

I use to use the uni/uni now I use the Tony Pena.easy to tie and while fishing the winter sandbass this winter I was bending Owner leadheads when I hooked the reef..the best knot I have found for spectra/flouro.

SOSO
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I usually strip the spectra off all my reels at the end of the season and wash the spectra line with freshwater. I've had spectra on my reels for 3 years now and it doesn't smell.

Here's how to care for your spectra, http://www.sdlongrange.com/content/view/12/31/

Great link, thanks Ricky..

PUDD MASTER BAITER
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
My Love For Crystal Fire Line, Is Well Known By Some Of The Members. I Fish The Bays ,and Jettys Mainly, And Use The 20lb Rated 8lb Dia. So I Can Put On More Capcity On My Diawa Coastal, And Cardiff Bait Casting Rigs. Ive Had Success, By Using At Least 6 To 8ft Of P-lne Triple X From 8lb To 12lb For Leader. I Like A Surgens Knot With 3 Turns To Connect To The Crystal Fire Line. I Recently Tried To Go Back To Mono On My Cardiff, And It Sucks Compaired To The Braid. Ive Had The Crystal For 2 Years On All My Gear From My Light Drop Shot Fresh Water Using 8lb Rated 2lb Dia, To My Bay, And Jetty Gear 20lb Rated 8lb Dia.. God Bless, And Peace Out Mike The Pmb...

twin22s
05-18-2008, 01:39 AM
i like fishing braid off the jetty, in fact thats the only place i fish it. fireline crystal is clear but they don't make it higher than 20# or atleast i havn't seen it. i use spiderwire stealth 50# on a baitcasting reel. no leader straight to the hook. but you need a flexable rod so you can keep the hook/line tight during the fight. slack = lost fish. also i only use braid at night or in low visability situations. nothing gets more bites than floro/mono in clear well lit water. the key to any tackle or fishing technique is kowledge and confidence. if your not comfortable with the setup or the technique, then your better off not changing from mono. most of the fishing i do is on berkley big game.

SQUIRREL
05-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Does any one use gorilla line 35lb test I seen some guy at Hesperia he was casting clear to the island, catching catfish

Cangler
05-19-2008, 06:53 AM
i like fishing braid off the jetty, in fact thats the only place i fish it. fireline crystal is clear but they don't make it higher than 20# or atleast i havn't seen it. i use spiderwire stealth 50# on a baitcasting reel. no leader straight to the hook. but you need a flexable rod so you can keep the hook/line tight during the fight. slack = lost fish. also i only use braid at night or in low visability situations. nothing gets more bites than floro/mono in clear well lit water. the key to any tackle or fishing technique is kowledge and confidence. if your not comfortable with the setup or the technique, then your better off not changing from mono. most of the fishing i do is on berkley big game.

Another advantage , especially on jetties , is braid cuts through kelp
far better than mono ... if you get snagged you have a far better
chance of getting out of it ...

vanillagurilla
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
i love braid. i can tell if the bottom is sand or rock or pebbles even mud! but if you get a good birds nest the whole spool is trash lol. i use 35lb power pro for the surf, catfish and bass fishing. use an uni to uni knot with some 8lb floro for dropshotting or texas rigging. i even use 4lb fireline on my ultra light with a 6 foot floro leader for jigging trout or panfish. only down side to the heavier braid/spectra is that if you get snagged really good..... your loosing that much braid because if you tie a palomar knot it wont break at the knot lol.