PDA

View Full Version : Panga rods and reels

deanhall32
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm going to Cabo at the end of July for a week with the gf. I will be able to fish one day. I'm taking some irons for surface and yoyo fishing. My question is what kind of rods and reels do they have on a basic panga and should I bring my own reels? I am not taking down my own rods. I am staying at the Royal Solaris in San Jose del Cabo.

Thanks

Ricky-Ray
05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Never fished on a panga boat before but from what I heard from a few friends, just use the boat equipment. They are usually good to top notch gear.

BassinChef
05-14-2008, 02:56 AM
From my experience 2 years ago i went with the guys who let me check out the equipment first and actually see it ... there were some others who would tell you it was top of the line stuff but it wasnt available to see??? from what i saw Penn rods and Shimano reels were the favorite combos down there , again that was 2 years ago.I hope this helps you out some.

BassinChef

deanhall32
05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. If they have Penn rods and Shimano reels then I will be pretty happy.

migfrias
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Like many had said, ask to see the panga and tackle that you will be using. Most gear will be in O.K. condition, but it will most likely be over-sized. If you can, rather than going thru a broker at the dock. Ask the hotel if they have a co-op or fleet that they sponser. You will find that the boat, crew and equipment will be in much better shape. It will mean a few more dollars, but it will be well spent.

ps.........if you can take some tuna feathers, bait catchers and hooks. You will make friends

miguel

deanhall32
05-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Miguel,

Would you advise me to take my Torium 20 and 30 and just use their rods? Also, cool idea about donating some Sabikis and feathers! Thanks

cappo
05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Dean, just in case I would start practicing how to fish with a budweiser can. Most importantly, learn how to adjust the drag.

deanhall32
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks Juan,

I've seen kids fishing like that in Cabo and they were catching fish too. Maybe I should blow off panga fishing and just fish from the beach with a Coors Light can. Cheaper!!!

Funjunkie74
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Dean,
I assume that you'll be fishing from Gordo Banks.
You could contact them (Eric is really quick with responses!!) to find out exactly what they offer. Generally they will set you up with a couple Seeker/Calstar troll rods with Shimano TLDs and Penn 113/114 reels.

It'll get the job done.

Don't forget to bring a cooler with you!! You're gonna want to bring home some fish. You are allow up to 50# and it'll count as a piece of luggage. Keep under 50# though cause you'll get charge for over weight luggage!!

And lastly, don't you dare forget to bring a camera!!! We expect to see pics of the the girlfriend...oops...I mean the pics of the fish!! LOL!!

FJ74

ghetto dad
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Have fun......

GD

ghetto dad
05-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Dean, just in case I would start practicing how to fish with a budweiser can. Most importantly, learn how to adjust the drag.
hakavellis selling one dean...complete with not one, but TWO spark plugs!!!!:ROFL:

deanhall32
05-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Dean,
I assume that you'll be fishing from Gordo Banks.
You could contact them (Eric is really quick with responses!!) to find out exactly what they offer. Generally they will set you up with a couple Seeker/Calstar troll rods with Shimano TLDs and Penn 113/114 reels.

It'll get the job done.

Don't forget to bring a cooler with you!! You're gonna want to bring home some fish. You are allow up to 50# and it'll count as a piece of luggage. Keep under 50# though cause you'll get charge for over weight luggage!!

And lastly, don't you dare forget to bring a camera!!! We expect to see pics of the the girlfriend...oops...I mean the pics of the fish!! LOL!!

FJ74

Thanks Joe- I remember seeing all the fish you caught in Cabo last summer. And solo too.( or is it Ninja style?)

deanhall32
05-15-2008, 06:59 AM
hakavellis selling one dean...complete with not one, but TWO spark plugs!!!!:ROFL:

GD- Where have you been? Thanks for the advise!!

grahams98
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Pangas are the way to go in Caba IMHO! I've fished with Ozzie Marquez in Cabo a few times and he is 'the cat'. He's been fishing that area forever and knows where every stinking rock is....he will put you on fish (I've got pictures of 63# Rooster somewhere). He's getting up there in years so you'll have to check if he's still at it. He has great gear and I should have save myself the hassle of bringing my own sticks. Email me if you want his contact info as from what I've heard the hotels have a nasty habbit of putting you on "taxis rides" rather than real fishing trips.

Bringing extra jigs (rapala 14's) as tribute is a great idea, I also bring cash and try to tip well.

Cheers-

Steve

deanhall32
05-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks Grahams98,

I'm getting the idea that they have decent stuff down there. Thanks for the info and I would appreciate it if you would PM the phone # of the panga charter you went on.

calico killer kevin
05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I went last summer and the 28" charter I was on had calcuttas, tld's, trinidad's and tiagra's on rods that I didn't care to know the names of. Their gear was top notch, but all we caught was a marlin and farmed one dorado. My advice would be that if you hook a dorado watch for the jump because they will spit the hook that way a lot of the time and if you can get away for a few hours walk about 30 minutes north to a place where you see a river coming out into the ocean and trow a few crocs. Last time I was out there there were baitfish that looked like little bsp's jumping onto the sand just to be away from the predatory fish. There were many fish that looked kinda like macks chasing them. Or you can just throw carolina rigged gulp camo sand worms and catch some bsp looking fish and some corbina looking fish.

Good Luck,

Calico Killer Kevin

ghetto dad
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Grahams98,

I'm getting the idea that they have decent stuff down there. Thanks for the info and I would appreciate it if you would PM the phone # of the panga charter you went on.

dean, MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT!! not ALL tha pangas have the type of gear kevin got to use...

GD

Indo-angler
05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
dean, MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT!! not ALL tha pangas have the type of gear kevin got to use...

GD

Definitely! My two trips down there (Eastcape) I was glad I brought some of my own stuff!