PDA

View Full Version : Leader Length for Lakes and Creeks?

Koshaw
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Howdy! Koshaw here. I usually fish in the So cal area.

I was wondering whats a good leader length. I usually do a Hook, sliding or crimp Weight and Carolina Keeper set up with no swivel.

I havent creek fished since 1978 O_o and so was wondering what would be best :D

For lake fishing I can kinda figure it out from water clarity...

Any Idears? :D

Badfish2
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Depends on where you want the bait.. if you're fishing bait and they are hitting near the surface, the longer the leader the better.. if it's hot and very sunny and you don't see surface action shorten that leader up but just make sure you're not hiding your bait in the weeds now because you're leader is too small.

Crawler
05-13-2008, 04:39 PM
For sierra streams I usually find myself flylining a salmon egg or crawler. When the water is moving too fast I will add a split shot about 12-18" from the hook. If its still moving too fast, add another split shot.

For lakes I usually do OK with a 10-24" leader. I always used a 12"+ leader untill I got turned onto the ol short leader-murky water deal. I have slammed them at irvine with a 5-8" leader.

Good luck!

greg
05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I like using fluorocarbon leaders but varying lenghts, depending on the type of fishing (bait, power worm, fly and bubble, etc), water clarity, etc. For fly and bubble or power worm and splitshot, I like at least a 5 foot leader. For bottom fishing with bait, 1-3 foot leader.

Good luck! This weekend, I'll be at Crowley in the mornings and in a float tube up at the Bishop Basin for the evening bite with my new custom wrapped Sage rod...

chummer
05-14-2008, 11:56 AM
As a general rule, we always use a 2.5 - 3 ft florocarbon leader in the Sierra Lakes. Lake trout generally hang out at around 2.5 - 3 ft off the bottom. Use FC because the water is so clear and use 4 pound line. Some people use a 2# leader but we find it is too easy to break off on a good fish and is not strong enough to pull a snagged hook out of the water. Finally, we find the best bait is inflated night crawlers. Good Luck!