PDA

View Full Version : To tube or not to tube?

imd12nv
05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I have been considering buying a float tube but i have some questions that hopefully you guys can answer. First off i weigh about 280lbs the highest tube weight capacity i have found is 350lbs is that enough? Befor you call me a fat *** consider i am 6ft 2 so even though i am over weight its not as bad as it sounds. Second i have waders that i use already can i use those? they are the kind with socks. What tubes do you recomend? I want to stay as close to 200.00 as possible. What other expenses should i consider? If i do get a tube what lakes in the inland empire do you recomend where i can learn to use it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Nessie Hunter
05-13-2008, 06:53 AM
HEY, Fat ***!!! :rofl::rofl:

Just kidding.. :rofl:

You have a lot of choices in the "V" shaped F Tubes.

As long as you get the ODC 420 .. :)

I have the ODC 420 and like it a lot.. Main reason is the 2 main bladders with easy access while in the tube.. I can adjust air pressure or inflate while in the water, and have added safety of 2 main bladders in case of a blow out..

The weight issue should be fine... It is a recommended weight to flotation ratio...

If the waders are chest high, you should be fine, the stocking foot is what I recommend.. That way one pair of fins will fit Bare foot or Wader foot. Gets hot in summer & board shorts without waders is great...
Make sure the lake allows for No waders, some require them due to no body contact..

Other expenses: Fins, I use & recommend HOT SPOT, soft and easy one the feet (all day long) good thrust and ease of use.. Personal choice, but I went through 5 pair before I got them. Never looked back...

PFD (Required) Personal flotation device, $5 at walmart, if you dont fell the need to wear it. I attach mine to tube (must be readily available)..
Whistle or other noise maker. (Required).

I also would make tethers for rod/reels etc.. Easy to drop stuff, and its GONE.. Old coil phone cord and couple of clips & electric tape will do. 2 zip ties on rod butt to clip to.. You are very distracted when new, and forget to put stuff away or close stuff and it gets lost... I have donated some great stuff to Neptune..... Rod/reels, camera's, Phones, terminal tackle, the list goes on & on... :-(

Inland Empire?? Perris has a lot of good launch room & locations. No waders required. Same at Silverwood, Jenks Lake, Big Bear (think you need a lake permit to launch there?)...

Many other places also, if you dont mind a little drive.. I love Newport Harbor (NPH) a lot...

Good luck..

LBSea
05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
If $200.00 is your max than go for the ODC 420 for sure. I just got another one as a backup and found it for $169.95 delivered and no tax from sales@wildernessangler.com. Great tube, you wont be sorry!

Doug