PDA

View Full Version : june loop

ALPER
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Heading to mammoth next month what are the names of the lakes in the loop and wich one do u prefer.

Peestick
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Heading to mammoth next month what are the names of the lakes in the loop and wich one do u prefer.

June, Gull, Silver and Grant. They are all good if the time and spot are right. Don't be afraid to keep moving around looking for the hot spot.

Troutman65
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Rush creek is good too. I have camped / fished at grant lake. Nice place to fish. The landscape at grant is not as beauitful as say June or any of the others in the loop. Grant is the last lake in the loop. I scored on my one and only brown trout so far at Grant lake. It was on rainbow PB. about 14" long. We were fishing from a rented boat. That trout had some great colors on it !!

gwjones00
05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I have fished June, Silver, Grant Lakes and Rush Creek in my 40 plus years of going to the loop. Believe it or not, I have never fished Gull Lake! I assume that you are going to fish from shore? If not, then when you launch your boat or rent from the marina, just ask the people at the Marina. They see the fish coming in every day, and can put you on them.

My suggestion for you is when you get into the town of June Lake, stop at Ernie's tackle and talk to the folks there. Make sure you ask what bait or lures are working best. They will have the best information for you.

As far a some ideas of where to fish from shore....

June Lake: The best area that is relatively easy to get to is the shore right along the road. You can eiher park in one of the turnouts along the road, or park down by the swimming beach and walk along the shore and find a spot. Alternatively, if you are staying at the Boulder Lodge, you can use their fishing dock. I've had decent luck there.

Silver Lake: *If* the stream is flowing, one good spot is where Alger Creek enters the lake. There is a parking area on the right side of the road just past the Silver Lake store. You can park there and walk to the lake. Alternatively, you can fish along the shore along the loop road. While driving toward the Silver Lake Store, you will pass a large parking area on your right. Park there and walk down to the shore.

Rush Creek: Really anywhere along the creek between Silver and Grant Lakes is good, especially after a stocking. My favs are at the second "horse crossing". After you pass the Silver Lake Campground, you will see crossing signs on the road where horses from the pack station cross on the hourly rides. When you see the second sign, go ahead, pull over and park. Look for wider, slower water on the creek. If there has been a recent stocking, you should be able to catch fish. Use gulp eggs, salmon eggs, or powerbait if you are after stockers, nightcralwers, flies, etc. if you are not after quantity.

Grant Lake: Really three places here. The first is where Rush Creek enters Grant Lake. This can be tough getting to depending on the water level. If you have a boat, watch out for the numerous stumps that might be under water this time of year. Later in the year, this is always good for Brown Trout. You need to be patient though, if you are fishing for these guys. The second is the "Narrows" where the lake narrows down to a channel. You can park at the marina and walk over. The best bait here is either nightcralwers, of if they are around, nab a couple of grasshoppers that you will find as you are walking. PB should also work. The third place, is Privy Point - so named because of the outhouse that used to sit on the point, is the large outcropping past the marina. You will see cars parked on the point. Go fish where the people are. If the wind is blowing, you can always take refuge on the leeward side of the point and at least wet your line.

There are also several options on the opposite side of the lake. But, it requires some work and a high clearance vehicle to get over there. If you have a truck or SUV, (4WD not required) go ahead and explore. Fishing is good at the "Quarry" right near the dam, and in the coves where springs feed water into the lake.

In the old days, there used to be another great spot on Grant Lake. Just as the loop road climbs a small hill toward the dam, there is a diversion tunnel that used to bring water in from Walker and Parker Lakes. This culvert used to flow just like a stream, and we would catch easy limits there. But, alas, with the attention that Mono Lake got in the 80's and 90's, water no longer flows through this culvert, and instead ends up in Rush Creek and Mono Lake. BTW - you can also fish Rush Creek below Grant lake, but I beleive it is an artificial fly with barbless hook stretch of stream. I've never fished it myself.

There are also tons of other spots to fish in nearby streams and lakes. Lee Vining Creek, Saddlebag lakes, Lundy Lake, Virginia Lakes, etc. Just stop in the Marina or local store and ask the folks there. They wil be more than willing to help. Whereever you end up - have fun!