PDA

View Full Version : Big Bones with pictures

largemouthmike
05-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I dont report allot on here as I'm still pretty new when it comes to salt water. I try to spend all of my free time in the fresh water, but last night I was reading these post on the bonita moving in and it sounded like something I needed to be a part of. I went to Newport landing on the 3/4 day Patroit with only 21 people. Started out driving south for 1hr and 45min until we saw birds and fish poping everywhere. We used a flyline with huge sardines and were hitting withen seconds. I had my limit before noon and my biggest was about 15lbs. Not sure what advise I could give you guys but these fish were boiling from way below Dana point to above newport. There were huge flocks of birds showing us where the bait was. Out of 21 fisherman we landed about 130 to 150 bonito. I was using 20lb test and broke off more times than I can remember in my head. Everyone on the boat was breaking off. Like I said before I have never caught bonito until today, but I think the biggest problem with the break off was the teeth. Several times I threw out and fish was on as soon as it hit the water and when I got him in the hook was in his throat. These fish didnt play with it they inhale it and I think them bitting the line was breaking most of them off. Here are a few pictures of my fish if anyone has advise on how to cook these please let me know. I've heard you have to cook them just right or there not good to eat.

For anyone who is thing of going out I would highly suggest Newport Landing and the Patroit. They worked really hard to keep us on the fish all day, and let us fish until every single bait was used up.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/platinumtheaters/CIMG0428.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/platinumtheaters/CIMG0429.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/platinumtheaters/CIMG0430.jpg

rusty6
05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
bake the filets over olive oil and onions in a dish pan with ginger and teriyaki glazed over it. cover the pan in tinfoil, throw in the overn for 10-15 minutes at 350

BIGRED KILLA
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice job out there thanks for the report and pics those bones can be a pain when flylining a bait i like to use irons and crocadiles on them.

Bigred

Ricky-Ray
05-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Great going out there. Those are some big boneheads for sure. You could try using circle hooks in he future for them if you want to. When the fish take the bait just put the reel in gear and start winding, don't set the hook. The circle hook will put the hook in the edge of the mouth. Using ringed hooks could help too as it places the line a little higher up.

Other fun way of catching them is on the iron. Don't have to worry about going back to the bait tank for another anchoy or dine and don't really have to worry about getting sawed off.

ThanksKK
05-11-2008, 11:08 PM
if anyone has advise on how to cook these please let me know. I've heard you have to cook them just right or there not good to eat.

Step one, chop them up. Step two, cook them. Step three, call you dog over. Step four, feed the dog. Just kidding. I'm sure you'll find a way to make em taste good. Fish is fish. It's all in the seasoning.

camrydad
05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the nice post and pics. I might be going out this week so its nice to know that they're out there and others are catching them.

vince champion
05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
wow some nice bone head you got there. great job.

vc

boxl0bster
05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
hell yeah! great report man! ive been waiting for a report like this!

btw would steel leaders have helped??? or would they shy away from it??

IN2DEEP
05-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Good job on the big bones!
If you find yourself getting bit off by the toothy fish (especially barracuda) you can try to double up your line with a spider hitch knot.
Double your line for around 18"
Tie your hook on using both strands of line.
This knot has made a huge difference for me.
http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_spider.html

Scott

boxl0bster
05-12-2008, 01:23 AM
does the patriot go out on week days? their voicemail said they do but their fishcounts have only been on fri-sundays???

Ambassadorhawg
05-12-2008, 05:56 AM
It's an attack of the Killer Bones!

largemouthmike
05-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the nice remarks I hope to see these fish stay around for awhile. I dont know when or how they spawn but almost every one we cleaned was full of eggs.

Im not sure if a steel leader would work or not we were free spooling the line until it got hit. I was thinking braided line but I really like the spider hitch knot that in2deep showed I think I'll give that a try next time or the Iron there were way to many reties yesterday. I didnt care that I lost the fish but it sucks to loose him after fighting him 10 to 15 min.

one_leg
05-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Good job on the big bones!
If you find yourself getting bit off by the toothy fish (especially barracuda) you can try to double up your line with a spider hitch knot.
Double your line for around 18"
Tie your hook on using both strands of line.
This knot has made a huge difference for me.
http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_spider.html

Scott

Scott, I was gonna say try the Bimini Twist. It ain't as hard to tie as everyone says.

But I am gonna start using the Spider Hitch more often now.

I mean like, when have I ever needed the Bimini or the Spider Hitch? :shock:

Dem dares some big boneheads. Good job Mike!

cappo
05-12-2008, 08:28 AM
those are some big bonies, nice job man

ONEKID
05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
try preparing the boners like you would "tuna fish" sandwich.
next time, ditch the bait and try some flashy lures.

steve092
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice job!

Those are good sized fish.

Hog Caller
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Cut the red blood meat out and you should have two long skinny fillets from each side.
Cook them any way you like ,they're excellent. I like them cut up in smaller pieces and sauteed in olive oil or butter with onions and garlic myself. Bleeding them when you catch them helps alot also.

Enjoy them, those are freakin monster bonies!

H/c

ghetto dad
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
hell yeah! great report man! ive been waiting for a report like this!

btw would steel leaders have helped??? or would they shy away from it??

If they are wfo ernie, it wouldnt matter...the steel leader wouldnt affect them biting your bait....the bad thing about fishing steel leaders is that the fish can totally see it, also the bait will never swim naturally with a steel leader on it....

GD

ghetto dad
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Oh, my bad...thanks for the report and pics man...way to go!!!!

GD

JapanRon
05-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi largemouthmike,

WTG on the salty Bonito !! All these reports are killin' me .... just when the heck is they gonna come up to within range of L.A. boats anywho ????

Nice report and pics, thanks

JapanRon

Fish Dog
05-12-2008, 08:18 PM
If you want to try a short, 6" or so, single strand 40 lb wire leader they may hit that since the wire is very thin. But, as others said, the iron is the way to go. No problems then. Also, if you use single hook iron you could probably C&R some of them if you wanted (not that you should have - don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you shouldn't have kept them - just that if you C&R you don't have to stop fishing because you reached your limit)

largemouthmike
05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I have some in the oven now over olive oil, and garlic. Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to take my boat out this weekend if not to windy. It didnt seem that hard to find the fish the other day. I will have some Iron for sure when I go back.

As far as the catch and release I wouldnt mind at all especially since I have all this fish. I only kept 4 fish and that filled up 2 of there big freezer bags. To be honest I thought I had 9 fish after a couple hours and was trying really hard to land the 10th. It wasnt until later in the day when I realized I did have 10. There were so many fish I really didnt think anything of it until they started cleaning them and I saw all the eggs that were being waisted. I did offer to pay to have them cleaned and would have given the meat to the deck hands but thankfully there were a few drunks that wanted every fish they could get. Later in the afternoon we went to the peer to eat at ruby's and there were guys that had bought the fish from the boat for $10 each. I really wish DFG had went to eat at Ruby's so they could check a few fishing lisc. Those are the guys that need to be cracked down on. I saw at least 30 people pulling up Makeral and keeping it to eat. WTF!

ghetto dad
05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I have some in the oven now over olive oil, and garlic. Thanks for all the advise. I'm going to take my boat out this weekend if not to windy. It didnt seem that hard to find the fish the other day. I will have some Iron for sure when I go back.

As far as the catch and release I wouldnt mind at all especially since I have all this fish. I only kept 4 fish and that filled up 2 of there big freezer bags. To be honest I thought I had 9 fish after a couple hours and was trying really hard to land the 10th. It wasnt until later in the day when I realized I did have 10. There were so many fish I really didnt think anything of it until they started cleaning them and I saw all the eggs that were being waisted. I did offer to pay to have them cleaned and would have given the meat to the deck hands but thankfully there were a few drunks that wanted every fish they could get. Later in the afternoon we went to the peer to eat at ruby's and there were guys that had bought the fish from the boat for $10 each. I really wish DFG had went to eat at Ruby's so they could check a few fishing lisc. Those are the guys that need to be cracked down on. I saw at least 30 people pulling up Makeral and keeping it to eat. WTF!

you dont need a license to fish from a pier bro......dont talk about eating mackerel, youre gonna get seng and jsauce all fired up.....:rofl:

Beeracuda211
05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice Job... what the limit for Bones??

B/C

Fish Dog
05-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Nice Job... what the limit for Bones??

B/C

10 but only 5 less then 24 inches or 5 pounds - in this case 10 since they're about all over 24 inches.

largemouthmike
05-12-2008, 10:34 PM
didn't know you dont need a license from the peer. Does this include private and public docks?

Ricky-Ray
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
didn't know you dont need a license from the peer. Does this include private and public docks?

You don't need a license if you are fishing from a public pier. Private docks you need a license. I'm not too sure about public docks but I think it's yes you need a license.

Fish Dog
05-13-2008, 07:16 AM
You don't need a license if you are fishing from a public pier. Private docks you need a license. I'm not too sure about public docks but I think it's yes you need a license.

Do a search on this subject on the site and you can find details. It's been discussed over and over...short answer - public ocean front piers and harbor mouth jetties (the ones the boats go in and out of the harbor between) you don't need a license. Everywhere else you do. Even shorter answer - buy a license and don't worry about it!