PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point-5/11

daveg456
05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Met up at my friend's yard at 5:30 to go fish DP. Towed his new 19' Montauk to the gas station to top off the fuel and off we went. Missions was to go find the big bonito that were off the coast.

Launch and meet up with another boat right off the point. Do a drift for nothing. They end up going outside and south to see about the bonito. We stay there for a while longer for nothing and hit the throttle for the outside. It was lumpy with a SW wind on it along with a small SW and NW groundswell. Not the best conditions. Got outside a few miles and started trolling south looking for bird schools. Nothing for a few miles. Then we start seeing birds and pelicans diving on bait. Meter bait balls but no fish on them. Probably the seals feeding. Lots of bait in the water. Keep trolling south and keep seeing more birds but no fish. Around 9 or so, called our other boat buddies and they were inside, in front of the Domes(power plant) and they were on the bonito. So we resigned ourselves to going in and poaching their spot. As we head in, we see breaking fish and birds. These bonies were getting airborne, completely out of the water, going after the anchovies. We slow troll the area and instant hookup. These were nice sized bonito, anywhere from 8-12 pounds. So much fun on light tackle. I was using 15 lb. test and watching my little bass reel scream as the the fish peeled line off. As we gaffed and bled the fish, we would see more fish off in the distance so we would slow troll towards them and when we got close, instant hookup again. We were using krocodiles and megabaits but anything would have worked.

Started filleting some of them as we were running out of room in the bait tank and saw that they were feeding on huge anchovies. Haven't seem chovies like that in years. Well, for that matter, I haven't seen bonito of that size in at least a decade. Seems like the water and bait conditions this year are like we used to always have 20 years ago when anchovies ruled and we rarely saw a sardine.

Later on, the conditions cleaned up big time. The sun came out and it was very pleasant on the water. Hit up the barn kelp for nada. Met up with the other boat for some drifts on a stone and caught and released some calicos and sand bass. A good sign since they haven't been biting until now. Also, the water temp started out around 61 and later in the afternoon, hit some spots of 64. Another good sign of better fishing coming up. Head in, clean the boat, go back to the yard, drink some beer, talk some ***** and God said, "this is a good day."

P.S. I think we only burned 5 gallons all day. We're guessing the boat gets 4-5 miles a gallon.

SOSO
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Great report. Two thumbs up.
I planned out freshwater Bass fishing this weekend. Hmmm, few 2-3 lbs Bass here and there, and get excited over a 5-8lber or go fish wide Open 8-12 lbs Bonito. Bonito's see you this weekend.

Ambassadorhawg
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Awesome! Good to see that the bait is here and the bones are making a BIG comeback!!!

ONEKID
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
big bonies on light gear is hard to beat.

daveg456
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, they are a lot of fun.

On a side note, these are all breeders, full of eggs and sperm. If you are going to keep them, make sure you bleed them and ice them as soon as you can. If you go on the partyboats, make sure they keep the sacks wet. They are big so they give a lot of meat so take only what you'll eat and release the rest. Just my two cents.

flytyingreloader
05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
OK--lameazzed question for you more experienced bonito hunters.......what is the best way to bleed out one of these fish? I C&R most of my bonito, and the few I've kept weren't bad on the table--but I didn't bleed them out. Wise me up!

rusty6
05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
just reach in and rip/cut out out the gills, thats what i do

flytyingreloader
05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Many thanks, sir! Just like hog hunting, then.

JapanRon
05-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi daveg456,

Most excellent report and much appreciated. Great you preservered and got into the action.

Thanks,

JapanRon

calicokid18
05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the nice report!

you think those bonies can be reached by yak??

-Anthony