PDA

View Full Version : Yellows at Catalina

Soakin Bait
05-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi all
I'm planning a trip from the 29th of May to the 1st of June to Catalina. Now I,m not looking to get anyones secrect place. I was looking for some general info. Has any yellowtails shown up at catalina. If so would throwing iron or bait fishing be the method of chioce. Any advice would be appreciated. Also front or backside of the island would be better. I went over a couple of weeks ago for white seabass with no love. Thanks in advance

Soakin Bait

vanillagurilla
05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
lots of guys like iorns for yellos, mostly white or scrambled egg. but ill give you my little secret... swim baits... yup fishtraps.

Ricky-Ray
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
There haven't been any yellows caught at Cat recently as far as I know of. There were some at least a week or two ago and from what I read they were either on bait or on the yo-yo rig.

Keep an eye on the water temps, as it goes up a few more degrees the yellow's should be biting.

Soakin Bait
05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info everyone
Last year I was trolling rapalas and yozuri hydromags and was catching Bonitas like crazy. I didn't know they could get so big 7-9lb. That was on the backside of the island opposite Avalon What water depth should I yo yo in for those yellows. I heard the Salsa 6x jr in blue and white works good too.

BIGRED KILLA
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
When you go out try to make some macks and slow troll them or dines.PLEASE MAKE sure you have all your irons tied on your rods before you see the boils.I am sure people can agree with me you might get a little nervous and excited when you see birds crashing and big boils so tie on you irons and bait hooks long before its hard when your at full speed chasing the boils.My favorite Irons are mint srablled chrome and bird shjt watch out for those dame seals they love the yellows.

Bigred

Soakin Bait
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Bigred
I have a teramar 8.5' with a Saltist 40 high speed with 30lb line for surface iron and Avet LX single speed with a Seeker 6470H 40lb line for the yo yo. I have them ready and waiting. Thanks for the info

Soakin Bait

pokerface12
05-11-2008, 06:50 PM
The water is still too cold for any surface iron. You might have better luck yo yoing an iron this time of year. Heard there were a few caught a couple of weeks ago near the v's. They were caught on live squid, but of lately I haven't heard of any being caught.

Soakin Bait
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Been looking at the temps and it seems to be warming up!!! Anyone caught some yellows at Catalina yet. Bones and Cudas are around but I'm tired of catching them. The wife will be back in town on the 31st and if there is a chance the yellows are here I'm going out earlier. Any good info would be appreciated.

Soakin Bait

Soakin Bait
05-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey All
Anyone could chime in on this? Thanks

Soakin Bait

DrewRanch
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
If you are going after yellows, I would think about making the trip over to SCI.... At least one of the mornings.
Get to SCI at gray light. Hang out around the Island for the day. You might end up in the middle of a epic boil :Envious:

FishermanStu
05-21-2008, 10:52 PM
i say dont chase the reports, make em!!! come back on the first and post up about how you found the sick yellow bite. the water is warming up. literally and mataphorically speaking

Soakin Bait
05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
I Agree
I'll be chasing late reoprts and that will hinder the search. Although everyones opinion does gives some inspiration. Thanks for the tip

Soakin Bait

LBSea
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Take a look at the "fish report map" on www.pacificedgetackle.com and you will see where they have been catching Yellows, White Sea Bass & Squid. Focus on where the squid are and be sure to take or make squid for bait. Most of the Yellows are coming at grey light for a few hours.

Doug

fishncatalina
05-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I've seen yellows on the front side of the island.

pipelayer5150
05-25-2008, 01:23 PM
was out at cat on thurs hooked into a big yellow 25-30lb class lost him to the rocks need to fish at least 30lb and would recomned a braid woth flurocarbon leader,saw lots of others crusing and hitting bait on the top tried throwing the iron for a litle bit but the fish didn't want anything to do with it they only want live bait flylined try adding a 1/4 slider to get a little depth and keep the bait away form the pelicans which were a big prob that day. oh and we were on the frontside by "windsock"

Soakin Bait
05-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Where you using live Squid? Might go Tommorow and thanks for the info. I don't want to waste fuel since it's at a premium. A V8 drinks the stuff. Oh where is windsock?

Soakin Bait

pipelayer5150
05-25-2008, 02:09 PM
we were using live 'dines and the windsock is just outside avalon towards the helecopter pad there is a anchored old catamaran sail boat right there fish that area but stay outside the red bouy as that area is off limits. good luck !!!!!!!!!! if you have the time and $$$$ for gas try sci the bite there has been goin off for a little while now alot better chances of hooking up there.
If not the amigo got 5 wsb upto 40lb on the back side of catalina today might wanna try that.