PDA

View Full Version : Big Thresher - La Jolla

Normalfellow
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/IMG_0021.jpg

After wanting to go sharkin for 3 weeks, I finally get my butt off out bed to go sharkin.
Me and my friend Vue went out of oceanside, made bait in short order and boated all the way to La jolla in 3-5 foot swell, so much for NOAAA 2ft or less prediction.

We started trolling the Canyon and pick a little guy about 80lbs, let that one go, and decided to go a little deeper in search of bigger one.

After trolling for about 2 hours, i was ready to for anything, and even prayed for a sub 100 pound fish. Then the Tiagra 50WLRS goes off stripping 100 yards of line instantly. Fight was on, and I tell you it was on, another 300 yards came off. We started backing the baot to chase it. After switching off reeling over 1.5 hours, all I feel is dead weight, we knew it was a big fish, but damn reeling a dead fish sucks.

It took a both of us to slowly inch this fish to the surface. When it came up we fly gaff it and that is when problems start to arise, we can't get this fish in the boat. Called 2 others\ boat, 3 guys jumped on boards and get in onboard, until I stuck the flying gaff in my leg,

Anyway, made our way back to the dock in Oceanside and couldn't get the fish weight because we could not get it off the boat.

DOn't know how much it weight but everyone says it is over 450lbs. You be the judge. It taped at 14ft.

BY THE WAY IT WAS A MALE SO DON'T FEEL TOO BAD

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/0508081128-1.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/0508081158-1.jpg

full bendo on custom Graphite USA predator rod
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/0508081156-1.jpg

whatever it takes to put pressure
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/0508081133.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/0508081354.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/IMG_0015.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/IMG_0022.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/IMG_9257.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/normalfellow/thresher/IMG_9258.jpg

SanDimasLMB
05-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Jesus, thats a nasty wound! Hope you get better.

Good job on the threasher. Thats a once in a lifetime catch! :cool:

Nhatster
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
WOW, simply awesome, congrats on a fine catch! :D

fishntime
05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! you guys are the Shizzznit! Great work out there.....

KILLA
05-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Great story/report/pics/battle scar's. Way to go on getting that thing in the boat. Add the pic of your stitches :cool: That is deff 450 plus. :thumb: good eats.

Off topic, I just purchased a pair of those shimano deck boots. What are you thought's on them. GREAT, GOOD, FAIR?

KILLA

THarry65
05-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I like the sarcasm with "it was a male don't feel too bad"..thats funny!

Kinda sucks that the gaf went into your leg, would have been better if it went through the side of your head!

Sorry..I'm a C&R guy!! if I feel like having thresher shark I go to my local market and buy some!

Normalfellow
05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Great story/report/pics/battle scar's. Way to go on getting that thing in the boat. Add the pic of your stitches :cool: That is deff 450 plus. :thumb: good eats.

Off topic, I just purchased a pair of those shimano deck boots. What are you thought's on them. GREAT, GOOD, FAIR?

KILLA

I think they are great...at times they are a little low cut but for the most part, very light weight and very comfortable.

Normalfellow
05-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Kinda sucks that the gaf went into your leg, would have been better if it went through the side of your head!

Sorry..I'm a C&R guy!! if I feel like having thresher shark I go to my local market and buy some!

the fish died an hour and 15 min into the fight. but they sure do taste great.

THarry65
05-10-2008, 04:45 PM
You mean they're not like a trout? Why did it die an hour into the fight?

bsp
05-10-2008, 04:59 PM
You mean they're not like a trout? Why did it die an hour into the fight?
Big threshers will sometimes fight so hard that they die from exhaustion. It is not uncommon and there is nothing that the angler can do to prevent it.

Congratulations on such an awesome thresher! I really feel the need to get my first t-shark after seeing this report.

b20monster
05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks for the fillets.... i do agree with you, they sure do taste great. still got any left because im ready for seconds!

fish_sauce
05-10-2008, 05:26 PM

am i the only one who sees the irony in this statement? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Fish Dog
05-10-2008, 05:29 PM

am i the only one who sees the irony in this statement? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

That sounds like the typical PETA BS you hear about hunting..."Why'd you have to kill that deer?" (as they're scarfing down their hamburger). Just because you add in a middleman and don't kill it yourself that makes it OK.

BTW, great thresher!

Nessie Hunter
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Very, Very Nice Billy & Vue..

You guys earned that one, with Lots & lots of time and effort on the water.....

Good job guys...

Wingnut
05-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Beautiful fish Bill, simply awesome! Enjoy the plentiful fillets. :D
Congrats on the trophy catch.

That reminds me, I gotta ship you the reel. ;) :cool:

THarry65
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
I knew I shouldn't have posted that reply!! I just hate the thought of death, I don't care what kind of animal it is..do I need special care? Am i the one that needs a good gaffing through the head?....damn!

KaliDawgFan
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
That is one awesome fish!

fish4keep
05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Nicely done on the team work. A fish of a lifetime. The Dinner Time is seeing alot of that in the short period of time Vue and Robert had it.

When's Dinner???

Beeracuda211
05-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Good TEamwork... just put a little peroxide on that wound and get back out there... too many shark attacks going on to be sitting down.... that could be one more shark out of the waters... LOL J/K Nice Pics

B/C

fish_sauce
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I knew I shouldn't have posted that reply!! I just hate the thought of death, I don't care what kind of animal it is..do I need special care? Am i the one that needs a good gaffing through the head?....damn!

THarry65,

i think the topic of catch and release has been long and often debated on these forums, and in the end--if there is an end--all we can really agree on is our disagreement on such matter...i didn't mean what i said as a personal attack to you, so i apologize if there was any misunderstanding. The reason why i said it was ironic was because one cannot fully impose predispositioned C&R beliefs/philosophy on others while being a strong proponent of commercial fishery at the same time. It is almost like having a vegan/vegetarian sporting leather shoes!

Case in point: Does anyone recall the commercial shark fishery that stem from the popular and heavily sought-after shark fin? They would catch the shark, bring the shark on board, cut off its fins, and throw the rest of the torso/body back into the ocean. Worse yet, this act was done in a very systematic and efficient way, and it drastically decimated our shark population. (granted there were many other variables that affected shark population, but commercial fishery was by far the main culprit---and who were the commercial fisheries catering to? the consumers who buy their fish at the markets of course!!!)

I said what i said because i thought the gaff comment you made to Normalfellow was over the top and unnecessary...After all, this IS a fishing forum, and we are all here to Share/Give/Receive information. I feel that someone who takes his time to write up a report and share his experience/encounter/information should not be harassed or coerced or made to feel guilty that they have done the wrong thing---especially when they haven't broken any state/federal laws...without such reports, FNN wouldn't really be an interesting online fishing community now, would it? If we all grow apathetic from negative feedbacks and stop generating any kind of report, what happens to the board then?

SoCalGuy7
05-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Congratulations.

Great story for years to come....Hope your okay.

SCG7

Liteliner
05-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Man Nice shark. So how did you do it though? Stick yourself with the gaff? That looks like a pretty big gaff. The fish makes up for it though... Congrats.

one_leg
05-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, I'm just wondering what you would have done if you had sunk that gaff past the barb?

You guys killed it out there man! ;)

Congrats on the teamwork.

Another one bites the dust.

O_L

BIGRED KILLA
05-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Nice Job on the big boy what a beast sorry for your leg were you guys just trolling macks or were they pined to a lure.

Bigred

Ricky-Ray
05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Great going on the fishing and the teamwork. That is one heck of a catch for sure.

Badfish2
05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice fish...I bet that took a while to reel in.

olfishergal
05-11-2008, 01:49 PM

i noticed.........go to the store and buy some caught with a factory ship.....C&R? I don't think so......
Great catch guys.......I would love some of those fresh filets. nasty gaff stick, take care to not let it get infected.....wtg!!!
OFG

chris
05-11-2008, 02:05 PM
nice shark way to go the gaff wound is awesome you should tatoo a gaff coming off the scar

steve092
05-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Ouch! Hope that leg heals up quick.

But great job! That is a beauty of a fish. :appl:

Mike K.
05-11-2008, 08:10 PM
[the gaff] would have been better if it went through the side of your head!

You shouldn't drink and post.

Don't tell someone you'd like to see a gaff in their head considering you don't know who you are talking to.

Moron.

/ thread

legacy1
05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I would love some of those fresh filets

Me 2..post pics of the dinners...

fightfan
05-11-2008, 09:56 PM

wow....touchy

martuka
05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
"Looks at least" 450, cool report bummer on the leg but nice rod-wrap turnikit!

ThanksKK
05-11-2008, 11:03 PM

I don't know if I should be laughing, but that's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. By the way, thanks to the original poster for the story and pics. How many freezers did you have to buy to keep it in?

ONEKID
05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
the guy who wrote that gaff in the head thing needs to be BBQ'ed right next to that awesome thresher. Good job.

sansou
05-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Kudos to you guys on your epic catch! A nice scar on the leg will serve as a proud testament to the mighty fight against a 450lb beast!! Nicely done!

crivera175
05-12-2008, 09:58 AM
you guys are sick:thumb::thumb::udaman::udaman:way to go nice report

DavidE
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Dude why did you gaff yourself???

Anyways nice catch!!!!!

If your inviting, let me know when its dinnertime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KILLA
05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
This post deserves to be back on top :thumb:

Killa

Badbeat
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow, that's like the biggest shark that I've ever seen! :shock:

Normalfellow
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow!!! Your a little crazy there arent you big guy. You must of not read his post. The fish died during the fight.

Congrats again normalfellow on a fish of a lifetime.

THANKS AGAIN. I APPRECIATE THE KIND COMMENTS.

Largemouth_Mitch
05-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Congrats on a great catch and a memorable trip you'll never forget Billy and Vue! Simply incredible and I'm very sorry to hear about the leg and glad that you were ok. Where was your mobile medic pack dude? Congrats again!

What a ignorant and stupid comment. How do you C and R a shark that dies during the fight? Also, wishing that someone gets a gaff to the head just because you believe in C and R is insane. Uncool Tharry65!

O
05-12-2008, 08:47 PM
~Congrats again Billy! I;ve learned so much from you and Svue over the past 2 seasons! We;re due for our first YT of the season soon...Rockpile baby

I almost blew a gasket when yo called me and told me you gaffd yourself. I was even more upset that you didnt have one of the Mobil Medic kits I made you aboard the Dinnertime! Svue and you both know better than that...I'm just glad you didnt hit an artery. You'd be dead my friend.

Had some more of the fillets that danny cut today,WOW! SO DAMN GOOD

fishincrave
05-12-2008, 11:45 PM

First of all by you wishing harm on another human is the most idiotic thing that came out of your mouth.
Secong thing is how in the hell do you think the fish is sold in the market not by C & R LMOA.
Third if you read the post it said bringing up dead wait that means the fish fought hard and died how was he supose to release a dead fish even if he wanted to.

On a better note Great catch dude fish of a life time and sory about the gaff in the leg hope it gets better soon .

Sean

LightningRod
05-13-2008, 06:18 AM
whatever happen to stormcrows nasty comments??

Stormcrow
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
They were removed by the admin. I handled it by P.M. instead. And it was MUCH more satisfying.

labjet2000
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Billy,

Just for my own edification, what is the process of dressing and prepping a fish that huge? The skin on that sucker must have been inches thick... how long did it take you guys to process it, and how many of you did it take.

I am flabbergasted! Do you have a place on your living room wall for the mount? Maybe you could fashion the shark's body into a "kiddie" bed like the one my son used to have... his was a fire engine.

Great job. Congrats.

Normalfellow
05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
cant stop laughing.... Internet fisherman are funny

Normalfellow
05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Billy,

Just for my own edification, what is the process of dressing and prepping a fish that huge? The skin on that sucker must have been inches thick... how long did it take you guys to process it, and how many of you did it take.

I am flabbergasted! Do you have a place on your living room wall for the mount? Maybe you could fashion the shark's body into a "kiddie" bed like the one my son used to have... his was a fire engine.

Great job. Congrats.

Actually, the skin was not that thick. We had four guys help with the fish cleaning, and made some calls and everyone enjoyed the fish. It took us about 3 hours with four guys.

good idea on the kiddie bed, but im going to try catch a bigger mako for a wall mount. On my next to do list.......

tight lines....

Stormcrow
05-14-2008, 03:56 PM
After talking to a local Ichthyologist at CSUF and showing him the pictures I gathered some info:

The shark was estimated to be at least 15-20 years old.
A top predator covering a range of nearly 150 miles.
The species classified as vulnerable in 2007 by the IUCN
Recognized as becoming endangered by the Federal Government by 2009
Dwindling numbers of this species are contributing to the dessimation of local marine ecosystems as cited by the IUCN
Its intrinsic value is significant as very little is known about the breeding rate, feeding patterns, migration habits.
It is WIDELY accepted among scientists that the damage caused by the removal of a top predator of this type is severely underestimated
Scientists cite examples of the dessimation of the Giant Blue Marlin population due to recreational taking of huge top predator blue marlin off the coast of Mexico in Marlin Alley in the 1950's. Those waters, which were once some of the most fertile fisheries in the WORLD are nearly DEVOID of fish over 300 lbs now. Scientists estimate recovery may take 50 years!
Since my overly candid post was removed earlier by admin, which was fully understandable in the name of good taste, I enjoyed ripping him a new bodily orifice via P.M.

As I will politely state now: I am adamantly against the taking of such an animal. It was needless and cruel. I am aware the fish died during the fight but at this point I question the author's credibility on ANYTHING.

However, since he is still laughing and goading me, which I find typical...I have decided to support why I am against such greedy, needless taking of this fish.

So....Keep laughing buddy, keep laughing.

Sinjin Kim
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
WOW! That is the biggest thresher I've ever seen! Congrats on a catch of a life time!:OMG!:

James343
05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh MAN it kills me to do this and I mean it kills me but great post Stormcrow I agree 100%with your position. Just because you can does not always mean you should. As anglers we should be trying to set an example for others to follow not killing something just because its there and legal.

Stormcrow
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh MAN it kills me to do this and I mean it kills me but great post Stormcrow I agree 100%with your position. Just because you can does not always mean you should. As anglers we should be trying to set an example for others to follow not killing something just because its there and legal.

OMG!!:Shocked:

Im learning it pays to be polite!

KILLA
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM

Wow, you C&R sharks that die during the fight! Catch and Release dead fish . Just another idiot, goes to show you have never fought anything like this. Read Saltwater fishing magazine, they have plenty of articles on how to bring up a dying catch.

P.S. It's not like he had a stringer full of them......lmao

fish4keep
05-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Waaaa Waaaa

Read the post. It came up dead.

Waaaa Waaaa

Should've released it

Waaaa Waaaa.....

Go join P E T A.....

James343
05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Waaaa Waaaa

Read the post. It came up dead.

Waaaa Waaaa

Should've released it

Waaaa Waaaa.....

Go join P E T A.....

Oh man your like a parrot repeating the same thing everyone else said. I think im going to refer to you as Paully from now on. Grow up and come up with your own reply.

I read the post Paully I just think fishing for sharks is wrong period. With all the other game fish here that are not endangered it makes one wonder why people would choose to kill one that was and I highly doubt there was ever any intent to release that shark.

Wanna cracker?

HBJapo
05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh man your like a parrot repeating the same thing everyone else said. I think im going to refer to you as Paully from now on. Grow up and come up with your own reply.

I read the post Paully I just think fishing for sharks is wrong period. With all the other game fish here that are not endangered it makes one wonder why people would choose to kill one that was and I highly doubt there was ever any intent to release that shark.

Wanna cracker?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Hey, there is a lot of validity in this post, but you have to admit, Stormcrow does have his points.

Japo :Envious:

Liteliner
05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
After talking to a local Ichthyologist at CSUF and showing him the pictures I gathered some info:

The shark was estimated to be at least 15-20 years old.
A top predator covering a range of nearly 150 miles.
The species classified as vulnerable in 2007 by the IUCN
Recognized as becoming endangered by the Federal Government by 2009
Dwindling numbers of this species are contributing to the dessimation of local marine ecosystems as cited by the IUCN
Its intrinsic value is significant as very little is known about the breeding rate, feeding patterns, migration habits.
It is WIDELY accepted among scientists that the damage caused by the removal of a top predator of this type is severely underestimated
Scientists cite examples of the dessimation of the Giant Blue Marlin population due to recreational taking of huge top predator blue marlin off the coast of Mexico in Marlin Alley in the 1950's. Those waters, which were once some of the most fertile fisheries in the WORLD are nearly DEVOID of fish over 300 lbs now. Scientists estimate recovery may take 50 years!
Since my overly candid post was removed earlier by admin, which was fully understandable in the name of good taste, I enjoyed ripping him a new bodily orifice via P.M.

As I will politely state now: I am adamantly against the taking of such an animal. It was needless and cruel. I am aware the fish died during the fight but at this point I question the author's credibility on ANYTHING.

However, since he is still laughing and goading me, which I find typical...I have decided to support why I am against such greedy, needless taking of this fish.

So....Keep laughing buddy, keep laughing.

Are you gonna take his fishing poles away???

Ifishtoolittle
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Nice fish. but one question what do you do with a shark like that?

Normalfellow
05-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I did everything within my legal rights. PERIOD.

I guess I just have to live with the fact that im a fish killer.............

Liteliner
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM

You cant make everybody happy i guess. I hope you keep your reports coming though. Not enough saltwater reports so the more the merrier!!! Hopefully some of these post bashers could keep the negative feedback to themselves. Lots of people quit posting on here because of the post bashers.

You should get a fishkilla hat like mines.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/SUNRISEBUTT.jpg

fish4keep
05-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Wanna cracker?

If it's "endangered" like you said it is, why do they even let you ( I mean everyone else but you) target them.... Do your homework before calling something "endangered". BSB is endanger that's why it's protected. But then again you preferred to target sandies when there spawning by the thousands at the Flats where it's easy picking. Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks.

Con
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
"crying indian"

Stormcrow
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
If it's "endangered" like you said it is, why do they even let you ( I mean everyone else but you) target them.... Do your homework before calling something "endangered". BSB is endanger that's why it's protected. But then again you preferred to target sandies when there spawning by the thousands at the Flats where it's easy picking. Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks.

Read my post and check my facts if you dont believe me:

Population is dwindling and is now officially declared vulnerable
Little is known about their habits and lifecycle
They are considered a KEYSTONE SPECIES which means that if these top predators were to dissappear altogether, entire ecosystems would also be destroyed
It takes time to put a conservation plan in place.
It takes money and research as well
There is nothing to gain by keeping a fish like this. Other than increasing your e-peen
Sand bass are well researched and not in danger in anyway. Your example is worthless.I do realize the fish died. Which is a tragedy, But I may not really believe that considering the character of the author of the thread.

Its funny, people complain about my posts before, now I am supporting a polite opinion with facts and youre the ones flinging the B.S. Whos on the attack now????? How pathetic. Are you going to complain to the admin now? Because Im politely raining on your parade? Make sure he sees your posts too!

James was right! who cares what you were in your legal right to do??? Just because you could doesnt necessarily mean that you should.

My opinion was that what you did was cruel and wrong. No biggie, just my opinion. Thats just the way it is. BTW, I think you meant to say BSB is ENDANGERED. With an E and a D at the end. ENDANGER doesnt make sense. I have the feeling you do that alot.

Whisky
05-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow, that's a lot of drama. Yes, killing apex predators is a touchy issue and in the end is probably not a smart idea, but the thing I really take issue with is "dessimation." The word is decimation, and it literally means to reduce by 10%. I'm not picking a fight, I'm just saying that if you intend to be so pointed in what you say and quote statistics, you should do it carefully.

I've tagged and released many a marlin and sailfish in the Gulf of Mexico (I've been a Billfish Foundation member for almost 20 years), and most of them had to be revived due to exhaustion at the end of the fight. Occasionally they die on the way in, or can't be revived along the gunwale. That sucks, but at that point what option do you have? The fish is dead, whether you planned to kill it or not.

Either way, that's a big damn shark! Good eats for sure! :Thumbs Up:

You should be proud of the leg injury too. The scar adds to the Hemingway-style epic quality of the battle, and after dueling a mighty predator it just wouldn't be right without a little tradeoff (like Wingnut's flatboy recently)

And what are the specs on your boat, normalfellow? I'm considering trading my good credit for a Striper walkaround in the next year or so.

Stormcrow
05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, that's a lot of drama. Yes, killing apex predators is a touchy issue and in the end is probably not a smart idea, but the thing I really take issue with is "dessimation." The word is decimation, and it literally means to reduce by 10%. I'm not picking a fight, I'm just saying that if you intend to be so pointed in what you say and quote statistics, you should do it carefully.

I've tagged and released many a marlin and sailfish in the Gulf of Mexico (I've been a Billfish Foundation member for almost 20 years), and most of them had to be revived due to exhaustion at the end of the fight. Occasionally they die on the way in, or can't be revived along the gunwale. That sucks, but at that point what option do you have? The fish is dead, whether you planned to kill it or not.

Either way, that's a big damn shark! Good eats for sure! :Thumbs Up:

You should be proud of the leg injury too. The scar adds to the Hemingway-style epic quality of the battle, and after dueling a mighty predator it just wouldn't be right without a little tradeoff (like Wingnut's flatboy recently)

And what are the specs on your boat, normalfellow? I'm considering trading my good credit for a Striper walkaround in the next year or so.

Wow, thank you for correcting my spelling. I appreciate that and youre probably right.

Im not an english professor, but I do carry a masters degree in conservation biology. Ive also been fishing pelagic species along the pacific coast for about 20 years myself. So...hmmm...what would I know?

And by the way, it sounds like we are both correct, although your point had nothing to do with actual statistics at all:

dec·i·mate http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngAudio Help (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html)/ˈdɛshttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəˌmeɪt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[des-uh-meyt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -mat·ed, -mat·ing.
1.to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.
2.to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.

have a nice day;)

soulsurfer
05-15-2008, 12:00 AM
It's a shame to destroy such a majestic animal like that. Although killing one may not harm the ecosystem, but the death of many certain will.

Con
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=Whisky;189845]Occasionally they die on the way in, or can't be revived along the gunwale. That sucks, but at that point what option do you have? QUOTE]

Here's an option: Catch a carp instead! >=)

socalhover
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
congrats on the amazing catch... and hope your leg is ok.

regarding this controversy - i do feel conflicted when i see pictures of large quantities of fish spread out on a deck or in a bag or see a beautiful large fish / shark / billfish caught.

i love to fish and enjoy catching as many fish as possible. however, i try to release them all - some of them make it and some of them i can't revive. but no, it doesn't make me better than those that keep their limit. however, i do think that if every fisher(wo)man keeps their catch and limits out, it adds up. and this addition means a big subtraction eventually.

you ever read those fishing reports and whistle out loud? like man... how can they catch so many fish day in and day out?

my wife doesn't understand how i can fish - she says that i'm finding pleasure in torturing the fish since i do not intend on eating it then why catch them?...

Whisky
05-15-2008, 12:38 AM
[quote=Whisky;189845]Occasionally they die on the way in, or can't be revived along the gunwale. That sucks, but at that point what option do you have? QUOTE]

Here's an option: Catch a carp instead! >=)

I see. You only fish for carp? Carp have feelings too! :ROFL:

Spoken like a guy who has never fought a big blue marlin for 2 hours, witnessed an incredible animal up-close, marveled at the incredible way they light-up, tagged it, revived it, and sent it back into the deep to retain its position at the top of the food chain.

My understanding is that the tagging programs for billfish have provided valuable data on migration and population that were otherwise left to speculation.

But this isn't about all that. It's about a big bad shark and a gaff in the leg!

newster
05-15-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm just a young guy, but if you don't like the law, bash the lawmakers, not the person obeying it. It's not like he made the rules and regulations. Great catch BTW. One for the ages.

Con
05-15-2008, 02:15 AM
I see. You only fish for carp? Carp have feelings too! :ROFL:!

I have yet to catch one!

Spoken like a guy who has never fought a big blue marlin for 2 hours, witnessed an incredible animal up-close, marveled at the incredible way they light-up, tagged it, revived it, and sent it back into the deep to retain its position at the top of the food chain.!

Wait is that an insult? lol you got me sir. What about if it dies in that magnifico 2 hour fight? No loss eh? Circle of life?

My understanding is that the tagging programs for billfish have provided valuable data on migration and population that were otherwise left to speculation.

But this isn't about all that. It's about a big bad shark and a gaff in the leg!

At no time did I question this. All I'm saying is I doubt anyone would kick up much of a fuss over a carp. Besides, you asked for another option!

Badfish2
05-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Stormcrow = FTW

fish4keep
05-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Read my post and check my facts if you dont believe me:

Population is dwindling and is now officially declared vulnerable
Little is known about their habits and lifecycle
They are considered a KEYSTONE SPECIES which means that if these top predators were to dissappear altogether, entire ecosystems would also be destroyed
It takes time to put a conservation plan in place.
It takes money and research as well
There is nothing to gain by keeping a fish like this. Other than increasing your e-peen
Sand bass are well researched and not in danger in anyway. Your example is worthless.I do realize the fish died. Which is a tragedy, But I may not really believe that considering the character of the author of the thread.

Its funny, people complain about my posts before, now I am supporting a polite opinion with facts and youre the ones flinging the B.S. Whos on the attack now????? How pathetic. Are you going to complain to the admin now? Because Im politely raining on your parade? Make sure he sees your posts too!

James was right! who cares what you were in your legal right to do??? Just because you could doesnt necessarily mean that you should.

My opinion was that what you did was cruel and wrong. No biggie, just my opinion. Thats just the way it is. BTW, I think you meant to say BSB is ENDANGERED. With an E and a D at the end. ENDANGER doesnt make sense. I have the feeling you do that alot.

Okay teach...

Everyone has their own opinion but the matter of fact is it was legally caught and if that person wants to keep it or not it's up to him. Like newster said, " if you don't like the law, bash the lawmakers".

Normalfellow
05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
look, i measure my catch by the pounds. You guys should be more worried about the seiners who measure their catch by the TONS. I fish, maybe twice a week, while the seiners are out there day in and day out.

Maybe you guys should visit this website called "bloodydecks" where you will find relentless reports of big threshers being caught.

Maybe the guys who are againsts this whole big fish thing should voice your opinion overthere also. This is the only thresher report on FNN and you guys make this big of a hassle about it? your voice would be heard much louder.

At the end of the day, I just really dont care............i mean i really really dont care.

I get crap for catching a 120lber because "its too small," then i go and catch a bigger one and now its "too big" to keep. blah blah blah blah blah..........

luckydrew
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Well,

This has certainly been one of the more entertaining threads to come along in awhile.

I must say, it is certainly comforting to know that among us fishermen (and women of course) there exists such a select group to set such a fine example of humanity and virtue.

It must be quite nice and reassuring to know that you are just so much much "better" than the rest of us dumb slobs that, based on what I've read, just want to go out and slaughter these poor defenseless creatures.

But of all the lines, here's the best one I've come across:

"But I may not really believe that considering the character
of the author of the thread."

OMFG!!!!

Since I haven't spent enough time with Mr Normalfellow, I can't say that I have the knowledge to judge his character. But I can tell you one thing, based on that one sentence, I bet most of us can judge the character of the author. I've had the unfortunate experience of being trapped on a boat with folks like that.

So next time I'm out drinking my Coor's Lite and throwing M-80s overboard, I'll reflect on how lucky all us other dumb schmucks are that there exists out there somewhere, those examples of prefection that, if we would just listen, can guide us all into the promised land.

Oh, and by the way, great fish dude. If I had that scar, I'd wear short pants everyday for a year.

James343
05-15-2008, 08:31 AM

Ok your right endangered was the wrong word but here is a direct quote from the IUCN-

"All three species of thresher sharks, known for scythe-like tails that can be as long as their bodies - were listed as Vulnerable globally. "

http://cms.iucn.org/search.cfm?uNewsID=103

Not sure where you got the sandie thing from since I have only caught ONE my entire life while drifting for halibut maybe you should do some research before you open that gaping hole in your face and start spewing lies!!!

At the end of the day, I just really dont care............i mean i really really dont care.

and that my friend is the problem to many people like you who at the end of the day just dont care about our fisheries as long as they can get a cool pic to post up and get a high five from their friends and some popularity points on an internet message board...

Since its legal I guess we should all start pulling LMB off their beds and throwing them on our stringers I mean its legal right? Damn the whole save some for future generations!!! If they dont have anything to catch its their problem!!!!

Stormcrow
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Wow UnluckyDrew: I dont even think I can respond to that. I mean.........Wow.... Promised land, Perfection, my character....whew!! You brought up alot of stuff here....I really dont know what it has to do with anything but hey...

All I said was I thought it was wrong, senseless and cruel.

Thats all.

jeff4321
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow Nice One! =o

Granny Fish
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
That is a catch of a lifetime Billy. Hope you don't get an infection in that leg and that you’re up to date on your tetanus.

As for the negative comments... seeing that you already released an 80# shark before you caught this one, I have no doubt you would have released this one if it did not die in the battle. I'm sure that shark put up a hard battle... left you with a little battle scar as well.

On a side note, our kids used to raise a couple pigs every year in 4-H. Pigs are so smart. The kids learned so much and had such a good time raising them. When the kids would take their pigs to the fair for livestock judging, sometimes they would get comments from people asking how could they raise an animal with such care and then have it slaughtered for food. Most of these comments were from people who were chewing on a corndog at the time. Pigs obviously are not endangered, but this experience opened our eyes regarding how out of touch people are with where our food comes from and what goes into producing it for the convenience of going to the store and buying those nice, clean, little packages of meat or perfect fruit and vegetables. Mass production of food makes a huge impact on the environment.

one_leg
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Wait a minute, you mean you didn't reel it in all by yourself?

It doesn't count then.

KILLA
05-15-2008, 10:27 AM
look, i measure my catch by the pounds. You guys should be more worried about the seiners who measure their catch by the TONS. I fish, maybe twice a week, while the seiners are out there day in and day out.

Maybe you guys should visit this website called "bloodydecks" where you will find relentless reports of big threshers being caught.

Maybe the guys who are againsts this whole big fish thing should voice your opinion overthere also. This is the only thresher report on FNN and you guys make this big of a hassle about it? your voice would be heard much louder.

I get crap for catching a 120lber because "its too small," then i go and catch a bigger one and now its "too big" to keep. blah blah blah blah blah..........

Like I said "its not like you had a stringer of them". I wonder if we had hatchery for sharks, if you would of still got all the negitive feed back.

Catch of a life time, and a great story to tell when people ask how you got your scar. Your the man. And I give you mad credit.

Wildhorse1966
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
That is a catch of a lifetime Billy. Hope you don't get an infection in that leg and that you’re up to date on your tetanus.

As for the negative comments... seeing that you already released an 80# shark before you caught this one, I have no doubt you would have released this one if it did not die in the battle. I'm sure that shark put up a hard battle... left you with a little battle scar as well.

On a side note, our kids used to raise a couple pigs every year in 4-H. Pigs are so smart. The kids learned so much and had such a good time raising them. When the kids would take their pigs to the fair for livestock judging, sometimes they would get comments from people asking how could they raise an animal with such care and then have it slaughtered for food. Most of these comments were from people who were chewing on a corndog at the time. Pigs obviously are not endangered, but this experience opened our eyes regarding how out of touch people are with where our food comes from and what goes into producing it for the convenience of going to the store and buying those nice, clean, little packages of meat or perfect fruit and vegetables. Mass production of food makes a huge impact on the environment.

Tammy that was well put .... i totally agree !!!!

Billy,

i believe they wanted you to perform CPR to that threasher after it came up dead so you can realease it dead ... it just doesent make sense. the fact that you went out of your way to make sure all the fish was given to people that would eat it instead of wasting it shows that you are using the fish not just wasting it ..

and your comment about not caring anymore ... i totally understand it .. i gave up on posting most reports here on FNN a while ago because most guys here are internet fishermen i am on the water 2-3 times a week and dont have time for internet fishermens comments its just not worth the headache anymore in my eyes

congrats again billy sorry for the tree hugger comments

Liteliner
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM

:lol: Dude BD would tear them a new one for sure. :lol: BD salute :Finger: Id love to see them talk about this subject on there.

Normalfellow
05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Tammy- thank you for the kind comments and yes i went to get a tetnus shot at the emergency room. No part of the shark was left to waste. Vue and I gave away all that we could and were only given words of kindness and thank yous for the fish.

Wildhorse-Thank you also for your kind words.

Killa- you too my friend, thanks for the compliments. It definetly will be a fish to remember and your comment about wearing shorts everyday is way too funny.......

Normalfellow
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
:lol: Dude BD would tear them a new one for sure. :lol: BD salute :Finger: Id love to see them talk about this subject on there.

seriously......

Normalfellow
05-15-2008, 11:00 AM
I think some of you may have taken my quote of "i really really dont care" the wrong way.

I just really really dont care about all the unnessary comments anymore......i really dont. The fish is dead. There is nothing I can do about it.

For those who have fished with me, Im not a bad guy and i do practice catch and release dependent on species. My reason of posting this report was to share my experience with fellow fisherman as I have enjoyed stories of other fisherman also.

I wanted anglers to know that the bite was hot in la jolla and I gave up all the good info if someone on this board were to go out and target one.

Like how wildhorse1966 said, I "dont have time for internet fishermens comments its just not worth the headache anymore in my eyes."

tight lines boys

Stormcrow
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
This is funny! Nobody expected you to release a dead shark. NOBODY said that. I said it was unfortunate the fish died as I didnt see that after my first read. Go back and read the thread!!! It was the principle of taking an animal of this magnitude that I thought was a travesty.

For the record:

Don't insinuate that I am an internet fisherman because I stated my opinion. I spend more time on the water than you can possibly imagine. So I focus on bass tournaments now...whats wrong with that? To act like you "dont have time" for that is contradictory considering you made the post in the first place. You have also responded 7-8 times so you seem to spend alot of time here. Nub
Secondly, I am NOT a tree hugger. In reality, I am an educated, conservative, former athlete. If you think I wear a jesus beard and hang out at Berkeley you are mistaken
Bloody Decks doesnt scare me at all. As a matter of fact, and you can quote this: I will defend my opinion IN THE FACE of anyone, anywhere and you can take that to the bank. I dont back down from anyone and the day you can find someone to force me to back down Ill present you with a crisp 100 dollar bill.
Im not a hater, I love catching big fish, I was just stating my opinion. And you have decided to label me for it.

FishingTard
05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
You gotta love how internet fisherman mask their jealousy with a self righteous crusade to save the environment. You're not fooling anyone. If your comments are genuine you wouldn't be a fisherman, nor would you be on fishing websites. Don't give us the "threshers are apex predators" and yada yada nonsense. Cause calico bass isn't a fishery in danger or nor is white seabass. But for some reason you say nothing as you shovel the white meat into your mouth.

So go put on your Tevas, tie-die, and fake that enviromental jive somewhere else.

BTW: to the guy would said "if I wanted T-shark I'd go buy it." Isn't that the same as killing it, you're contributing to the so called problem.

What's my point: CONGRATS BILLY! Ingore the haters, and slay some more, post pics, and make them even more jealous.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM

What about your MORAL obligation?

Just asking.......not hating.

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Okay teach...

Everyone has their own opinion but the matter of fact is it was legally caught and if that person wants to keep it or not it's up to him. Like newster said, " if you don't like the law, bash the lawmakers".

Sooooo, you would keep a fully pregnant bedding female LMB? Because it's "legal"?

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
So next time I'm out drinking my Coor's Lite and throwing M-80s overboard, I'll reflect on how lucky all us other dumb schmucks are that there exists out there somewhere, those examples of prefection that, if we would just listen, can guide us all into the promised land.

Thank You for seeing the truth and the light!

HBJapo
05-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Like how wildhorse1966 said, I "dont have time for internet fishermens comments its just not worth the headache anymore in my eyes."

That is an idiotic line. Where's the substantiation (yes, that IS a word)?

skildfisher
05-15-2008, 11:56 AM
For every successful person theres always... you know the rest.

Although I do agree that the BD slaughter which is only a fraction of whats going on since there are people who don't post will take a toll on the trophy population soon. Simple statistics.

ONEKID
05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
This is funny! Nobody expected you to release a dead shark. NOBODY said that. I said it was unfortunate the fish died as I didnt see that after my first read. Go back and read the thread!!! It was the principle of taking an animal of this magnitude that I thought was a travesty.

For the record:

Don't insinuate that I am an internet fisherman because I stated my opinion. I spend more time on the water than you can possibly imagine. So I focus on bass tournaments now...whats wrong with that? To act like you "dont have time" for that is contradictory considering you made the post in the first place. You have also responded 7-8 times so you seem to spend alot of time here. Nub
Secondly, I am NOT a tree hugger. In reality, I am an educated, conservative, former athlete. If you think I wear a jesus beard and hang out at Berkeley you are mistaken
Bloody Decks doesnt scare me at all. As a matter of fact, and you can quote this: I will defend my opinion IN THE FACE of anyone, anywhere and you can take that to the bank. I dont back down from anyone and the day you can find someone to force me to back down Ill present you with a crisp 100 dollar bill.
Im not a hater, I love catching big fish, I was just stating my opinion. And you have decided to label me for it.

You are the one doing the insinuating and labeling. I caught the post you wrote before it was deleted. You might be "educated" but your reading comprehension skills kinda suck, either that or your fishing knowledge is at a low level. If you've ever targeted big Tsharks, you would know that if the fight goes from peeling drag to reeling up dead weight, it's most likely dead. Maybe you don't fish salt. Well, I hope you know, by taking a spawning bass off it's bed, you most likely kill it's fingerlings and thus potential apex predators. Either way, your posts are flawed and invalid. You don't fish fresh either? What do you do? Why are you on this board posting ill-advised negative comments? Please, go away.

FishingTard
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't back down from anyone and the day you can find someone to force me to back down Ill present you with a crisp 100 dollar bill.[/LIST]

You sure you wanna make a statement like that? If so, I'll take the bet and make it a even $1000. I'll put your so-called former athlete education to test.

fish4keep
05-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Sooooo, you would keep a fully pregnant bedding female LMB? Because it's "legal"?

Yes, I will keep a fully pregnant bedding female LMB if it came up dead during the fight....

Fisherman57
05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
OK gentlemen......

Ive let this drag on as long as Im going to.....

I have NO PROBLEM with the debate that is going on here....... HOWEVER, I DO have a problem when the debate turns personal and into bashing other members.

Ive seen some good points made here from BOTH sides of the argument, but Ive also seen the debate turn to personal attacks between members a few times as well..... there is no need for that.

We can ALL state our opinion in a manner that does NOT insult other members.

I know these topics get heated and I know opinions are strong, but we need to keep the personal remarks directed towards other members OFF the board.

Lets get back to fishing. Thread locked.