PDA

View Full Version : Clubfish Charter on Amigo - 5/11/07

Dave92706
05-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Went out to San Clemente Island leaving Newport Landing on the Amigo . Turned out to be a fairly good trip. I nailed a 13 lb. halibut . The jackpot was a 26 lb. yellowtail. Saw some really nice Calicos come over the rail . I'm happy to say that these brude stock were released unharmed. Pam Sharp writer for 976-Tuna .com was a guest on our charter . She wrote a report on the trip that was posted on 976-tuna . I liked her report and it saves me some typing. So here's her report on our trip.

Clubfish Charter to San Clemente Island On The Amigo - by Pam Sharp

I got a call from Steffanie at Newport Landing saying they had a charter with a fishing club – “Club Fish� – on the Amigo, and they were looking for a couple more people to fill a charter. I jumped at the chance to meet a new group of anglers!
I got to the landing and met up with the group, and 10 of us boarded a little before 9:00. After quick run to the bait dock where we picked up some huge sardines, we were off. The crew consisted of Captain Mike Thompson, 2nd Captain Bob Melville, and we were all welcomed aboard by Shon on deck, and galley cook/deck hand Ichiro.
The plan was to run to Catalina and look for squid, then on to San Clemente. There was no mention of squid jigs, so I assumed we were planning to get some from one of the boats out there. At the island, the squid were not to be found, but Captain Mike found one of the light boats and bought us plenty of squid to keep us busy for the whole day!

At gray light we had a slow pick at the yellows for about an hour. About 12 hookups put 6 fish on the boat, to 26 pounds We hung out there for a while over a sandy bottom, marking some smaller grade fish after that, and then took off to look around.

We made a few drifts where they’d caught yellowtail the prior days, with no success. We tried it all… yo-yo iron, squid and sardines on dropper loops and fly lined. Nothing. In the process, we picked up a few nice sized halibut, the biggest 18 pounds.

Mike took us to a spot off a little closer to the island on the edge of some kelp and anchored up, and we loaded up on some nice calicos, and landed some BIG ones. I’m happy to say most of the 5+ pound fish were carefully released, and a few of the really nice ones were also photographed before they were sent home!

As always, the food was great! I had a wonderful breakfast burrito, with ham, bacon, eggs and cheese. And Ichiro makes some of the best hand made burgers in the local fleet! None of those little frozen preformed burgers…!! The weather was pretty decent, after a rough ride out, the water did lay down pretty well in the morning. It was a pretty cool day, with some wind, but we had sunshine by early afternoon, and a nice smooth ride home.

We ended the day with 7 yellowtail, 5 halibut, 78 calico bass, 22 perch, 11 rock fish, 10 sheephead, and 2 white fish. Jackpot went to Ben for his 26 pound yellowtail.

I'd like to thank Captain Mike, who did his best to put us on some fish. Newport Landing has some great boats to check out, if you like fishing the smaller boats with lighter loads. They can be reached at 949-675-0551.

I’d also like to thank the great anglers with “Club Fish�, who made me feel really welcome with their tight little group.
Ben Gray - Clubfish President
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/BenGray-SanClementeIs.Amigotrip.jpg
Dave Finkelstein - Clubfish Chartermember
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/SanClementeIs.Amigo5-11-07.jpg
Mike cross - Clubfish Treasurerhttp://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/SanClementeIs.MikeCrossAmigo.jpg

Oz
05-18-2007, 12:57 AM
great report and awsome lookin yellow and hali's :D

one_leg
05-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Nice Mossback Ben. Congratulations on the Jackpot Win :thumb:

Nice Hali Mike. Thanks for sharing your good fortune with the rest of us.

Hey Dave, Congrats on the Big 'Butt! That's one nice fish there.
Long time, no see. Berkley Tourney at the 'Vine, remember?

I wanna get out there and catch some quality fish too!
Sounds like you peeps had a great time at Clemente. Thanks

One_Leg

Troutman65
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a good outing. Congrats on your 13# halibut. Thanks for your post.

Dave92706
05-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks One Leg, I remember you sitting next to me at the Berkley tourney. Saltwater fishing is my mainstay for fishing. Due to work , etc, its hard to fish the salt for me these days. My club has a couple of openings left on only 2 trips. We have a very aggressive fishing trip schedule . Hard to believe that just about every trip is sold out this early in the year but that's success we like to see. I'm going out on the Amigo in June again. Any openings left on our charters are open to the public at this time. This is a good group of anglers with a lot of saltwater experience. Most of our scheduled trips are multi-day tuna trips out of San Diego and always are limited load . I believe there are a bunch of openings on 2 of our tuna trips still left.

Crappie Slayer
05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Wow good stuff.

POSTAL
05-18-2007, 07:14 PM
dang some nice lookin pish 8)

TroutOnly
05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
NICE FLATTY DAVE,,,t/o,,,,I LOVE FISHING CLEMENTE FOR THE CALICOS,,,