PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Perch at Crowley

Fear No Trout
05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I have found that the best perch bite will be in the middle of May to middle to the end of June while the water is still cold. The perch seemed be in the shallows bedding down nesting much like largemouth bass. When the water starts to heat up the perch start going deeper. By August 1st you do best by trolling 2-3 colors of leadcore using rapalas or a lure called bumble bee or Crickhopper...oh yeah, it's barbless artificial at this time as well.

Using mini-jigs or a jighead and Berkley Power grubs tipped with Berkley Crappie nibbles. I prefer white Crappie nibbles and either Pearl White or Pumpkin Seed color Power Grubs.

I hope this is some help. Last year one my only trips to Crowley, me and my two buddies caught about 160 perch in two days using this method.

Good Luck!

Fear No Trout

exfactor
05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Do you enjoy eating the perch? Are they anything like redear perch? Haven't fished for them yet, but have been curious about them. Mikey

Fear No Trout
05-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Do you enjoy eating the perch? Are they anything like redear perch? Haven't fished for them yet, but have been curious about them. Mikey

They are very light with flaky texture. I have never had redear perch but I can tell you this much, I enjoy eating them tempura style, fish tacos, Chinese style with black bean sauce, Chinese style sweet and sour and Chinese style salt and pepper.

When I used to guide at Crowley and lived in Bishop I would take several pounds of fillets to the Chinese restaurant in Bishop and have them cook them as forementioned above.

I rather each the Crowley perch than the Crowley trout.

Fear No Trout

Ifishtoolittle
05-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Are these guys scrappy fighters like most panfish? I read that they only exsist now at Crowley lake and a few other lakes here in California.

Slims
05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
They are very light with flaky texture. I have never had redear perch but I can tell you this much, I enjoy eating them tempura style, fish tacos, Chinese style with black bean sauce, Chinese style sweet and sour and Chinese style salt and pepper.

When I used to guide at Crowley and lived in Bishop I would take several pounds of fillets to the Chinese restaurant in Bishop and have them cook them as forementioned above.

I rather each the Crowley perch than the Crowley trout.

Fear No Trout

I have to agree. Tempura perch is awesome. I also fry it up using "dixie fry" and dipping in tartar sauce. If I had to never eat another trout in the sierras in order to keep eating the perch every year, I would never eat trout again.

And in regards to the question, perch are very similar to redear and bluegill......but BETTER.

Fear No Trout
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
My buddy who I went perch fishing last year told me that this year the perch are increibly large. He pulled in serveral in the 3 lbs. class...that's absolutely huge. Can you imagine the slab that fillet would look like?

BTW, I have caught Sacramento perch at the Pleasant Valley Reservoir just outside of Bishop.

Tight Lines...and enjoy the perch,

Fear No Trout

Slims
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
My buddy who I went perch fishing last year told me that this year the perch are increibly large. He pulled in serveral in the 3 lbs. class...that's absolutely huge. Can you imagine the slab that fillet would look like?

BTW, I have caught Sacramento perch at the Pleasant Valley Reservoir just outside of Bishop.

Fear No Trout

Wow, 3lbs? Its too bad I only get to perch fish in Gull every year. Maybe I can talk my brother into going half on renting a boat at crowley one day during the week. Ill be up there the week after the 4th of july. I hope they are still biting well then.

fishfinder
05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
thanks for the tips. i got some last year, and they were delicious. just watch out for the seagulls when you are cleaning them. they like them too and will steal your fillets as soon as you turn your back to them.

one_leg
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Cory, I wanna come up there and catch some perch too!

tpfishnfool
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Good eating if you can get past the puke smell when ya gut em .. FYI

Badfish2
05-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Fear No Trout

If he caught several in the 3lb class he should be reporting them to the state, he would have the state record perch,.

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/records.cfm?state=California