PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing Catalina 5/9/08

Spear Hunter
05-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Went over to Catalina on my friend's boat today for a little spear fishing. Hit up Arrow Point first. There was a little bit of swell so the water was dirty but got a nice calico there. Next spot was the rock quarry it was flat there and just a little wind. Got another one there and missed a few shots. Next was long point the current was ripping there but the bass were in the current feeding couldn't get close enough for a shot but there were hundreds of bass there mostly 10 to 12 inch. But there were a few big boys in there. I saw the largest sheephead I have ever seen on the front side 15 to 20 pounder. I ended up near the mooring buoys and swam through the largest school of calicos I have ever seen. They were all small 6 to 8 inch. Also were tons of bait fish in the water and big schools of sardines. On the way home saw birds hitting the water so went over to check it out and there were a huge school of dolphins feeding on the bait pretty cool seeing this.

one_leg
05-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Brian, thanks for the report from Cat.

Those sound like promising signs for the future bite at the Island.

I am planning on getting back into my dry/wetsuits this year on scuba this summer.

It seems as though the day the checkers become legal they start to turn from you as soon as you point the spear their direction. No more silhouette shots. It takes practice to avoid bouncing the spear right off of their heads. I got way more when I was freediving than on scuba. They are one of my favorite tasting saltwater fish.

O_L

WalePescado
05-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Nice fish! I've always wanted to take up free diving/spearfishing. Quite the motivator to quit smoking.....

Tail Chaser
05-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the report.
Good job on them Calicos.
Im sure they are a very hard fish to hit.