PDA

View Full Version : CDM 5/17/07 - soooo close!

jplee3
05-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Ventured down to CDM right after work from about 5-8pm or so. TONS of baitfish jumping out the water - it was ridiculous. Lots of perch around as well. Water was very clear with a fair amount of debris. Tide was on the change incoming.

Hooked up on an 18-19" short hali after putting on the Luckycraft. I was messing around with a few swimbaits just before with no love.Threw it out more after landing the hali but didn't get anything. Ended up throwing gulp camos out and got bit up the wazoo but no hookups whatsoever. Probably BSPs... hopped over to the breakwall side and saw a guy catching rays off anchovies. DIdn't seem like there was too much action otherwise.

http://jermdawg.com/gallery/d/4327-1/pic07.jpg
Anyone know why it has white spots around the edges?

Sorry for the poor picture quality - again, I forgot to bring my "fishing" camera and ended up taking it with my cellphone. This happened the last time I caught my *first* halibut too! :evil:

ddrahn
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Good job on the halibut. Glad to hear that the bait fish are showing up finally.

I fished the CDM jetty last Saturday from 6am til 11:00 for all of one 4 inch sand dab. I tried shrimp on hi/low, squid on a slider, krocs (large and small) and even a sabiki with shrimp for absolutely no love. I didn't see anybody out there catch a thing.

I'm considering hitting it up this Saturday - your post has given me hope.

jplee3
05-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Good job on the halibut. Glad to hear that the bait fish are showing up finally.

I fished the CDM jetty last Saturday from 6am til 11:00 for all of one 4 inch sand dab. I tried shrimp on hi/low, squid on a slider, krocs (large and small) and even a sabiki with shrimp for absolutely no love. I didn't see anybody out there catch a thing.

I'm considering hitting it up this Saturday - your post has given me hope.

Heh, I was surprised I even caught a thing. But more surprising was the 'clear' water conditions there! I've never seen it like that! Of course, I don't go there that often so most of you regulars probably think I'm crazy. Anyway, try making bait off one of the piers or even one of the NPH public docks. Then bring it back for the halis. BTW: The grunion will be running over the next several days, so that may contribute to the boiling/feeding factors. Also, May is strictly an observational month for grunion runs, which means that you're not allowed to collect them. So get your lures and swimbaits lined up! Or your frozen grunion from March's runs :D

2Bin
05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice Hali man!

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Congrats on your catch. Thanks for the post

EricU
05-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Good going, even though it is short. I would go back and cast, cast and cast.

I haven't been to CDM, but if the conditions are as you describe it sounds like some decent fishing grounds.

Good luck next time.

jplee3
05-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Good going, even though it is short. I would go back and cast, cast and cast.

I haven't been to CDM, but if the conditions are as you describe it sounds like some decent fishing grounds.

Good luck next time.

Thanks guys... ugh, this morning as I was loading my rod in the car I noticed the tip was slightly bent out of shape. Yesterday as I was packing stuff in I think I closed the trunk and *whap* right on the tip! :oops: Everything looked okay... anyway, after I put some pressure on the part that was 'bent' it totally cracked! Good thing I checked this morning... New travel rod too! Got it from Basspro... they seem to have a good return policy. Anyway, I have *another* travel rod from them but a little heavier. And I decided to throw my 8'6 salmon rod in the trunk for today. I think I'm gonna head back or maybe try a different spot in the Newport area. Anyone up for some more Newport halihunting? I'm planning to leave work at 5pm (or possibly earlier). Just PM me!

SanDimasLMB
05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/pic07.jpg
Anyone know why it has white spots around the edges?

Thats just its natural camoflauge. Different types of sand means different types of camo. Just like woodland and desert camo. The environments are just different.