PDA

View Full Version : Lake Above Silver

sevenout
05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
A gang of us are going to Big Rock next weekend and I'm looking for a day hike location. Looking on Google Earth, I saw a nice sized lake above the generating plant, the one next to Silver Lake. There's a service road to the lake so it appears accessable on foot.

Anyone been there? Any trespassing issues? Any insight would be appreciated.

olfishergal
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
bears are very active there.

Flying
05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I've heard of people going up there all the time. I believe its call Lake Agnew:confused:

I've done Parker lake above Grant. 1.5 mile trail done by 2 smokers carrying too much crap on a hot day. Very beautiful lake .(like which ones aren't up there)

Procure kid
05-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Hhmmmmmm....seems to me we had a couple old timers like yourself running from what we refer to as "lake X" over near the Eagle Rock Resort. Matter of fact it recently came to the attention of local authorities that there are possible pictures of the fish harvested by those poachers in the possesion of Los Angeles County police officers?! Stay on the beaten path flatlander....no need for you to risk those bears smelling all that icy hot you need for those broken hinge knees you have.....we'll see ya throwin Thomas Bouyants at the DFG truck come next Monday, thirty yards off shore on June...right were you atta be.

gwjones00
05-08-2008, 08:39 PM
A gang of us are going to Big Rock next weekend and I'm looking for a day hike location. Looking on Google Earth, I saw a nice sized lake above the generating plant, the one next to Silver Lake. There's a service road to the lake so it appears accessable on foot.

That would be Agnew Lake. Even though there is a service road - you won't be able to use it. It's more like a tram that goes *straight* up the mountain for Edison when they need to work on the dam. To get to Agnew Lake, you start on the trail behind the Silver Lake store. It's about 2.5 miles to Agnew Lake from there, up the side of the hill. Make sure to do it early in the AM - there's no shade enroute and you will be in the sun the entire time.....

Flying
05-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Hhmmmmmm....seems to me we had a couple old timers like yourself running from what we refer to as "lake X" over near the Eagle Rock Resort. Matter of fact it recently came to the attention of local authorities that there are possible pictures of the fish harvested by those poachers in the possesion of Los Angeles County police officers?! Stay on the beaten path flatlander....no need for you to risk those bears smelling all that icy hot you need for those broken hinge knees you have.....we'll see ya throwin Thomas Bouyants at the DFG truck come next Monday, thirty yards off shore on June...right were you atta be.

Eagle Rock Resort?

I now of Big Rock and Double Eagle Resorts but no Eagle Rock Resort in the loop.

Would "lake X" be Double Eagles private pond as it does not sound like Agnew?

Another thing to think about this time of year is snow at the higher lakes.

Procure kid
05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Eagle Rock Resort?

I now of Big Rock and Double Eagle Resorts but no Eagle Rock Resort in the loop.

Would "lake X" be Double Eagles private pond as it does not sound like Agnew?

Another thing to think about this time of year is snow at the higher lakes.

ya...my bad.....Double Eagle Resort.

mammothfishin
05-09-2008, 01:25 PM

It may still be frozen if it contains any water. I believe they drained it last year to repair the dam. Call the Mammoth Ranger station and see if they have any information. 760-924-5500

The larger of the lakes is Gem.

ryanerb
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I am very surprised to see a dam on agnew and gem. Never knew that. Anyone know why? Electricity? Kina sad/strange they would go through all the hassle to put a dam in such a hard to reach beautiful spot.

gwjones00
05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I am very surprised to see a dam on agnew and gem. Never knew that. Anyone know why? Electricity? Kina sad/strange they would go through all the hassle to put a dam in such a hard to reach beautiful spot.

Yup. So Cal Edison generates electricity at the Silver Lake Substation. Water is brought into a penstock at Agnew Lake and the obvious elevation change provides the pressure to generate electricity. Both Agenw and Gem have dams for that purpose. Both lakes were there originally, but the dams allow Edision to control flow to the generating station. The rest of the lakes in the Upper Rush Creek Basin (Weber, Waugh, Lost Lakes) are natural.

txcurry
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Yup. So Cal Edison generates electricity at the Silver Lake Substation. Water is brought into a penstock at Agnew Lake and the obvious elevation change provides the pressure to generate electricity. Both Agenw and Gem have dams for that purpose. Both lakes were there originally, but the dams allow Edision to control flow to the generating station. The rest of the lakes in the Upper Rush Creek Basin (Weber, Waugh, Lost Lakes) are natural.

Waugh is also a dam. I've been to the outlet and seen the dam. I have also fished Gem and Waugh for Brookies and gotten nice Brookies in Rush Creek.

Mike274
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I Beleive there is also Fern Lake. There is a dirt road across from Silver that leads to a trail head. That trail goes up to Fern which is a beautiful lake but only got to fish for about 20 minutes. Gets dark early on those lakes cause they are at the base of the peak. Dark about 1.5-2hrs befor the basin and don't want to get stuck going down in the dark.

I have heard that the lakes have fish because years ago they used to air stock and the pilots couldn't tell which lake was which from the air. Going to hit that lake up myself in about 3 weeks. By the way, cold at that altitude and lake probably still frozen now. Please update.

Mike

gwjones00
05-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I Beleive there is also Fern Lake. There is a dirt road across from Silver that leads to a trail head. That trail goes up to Fern which is a beautiful lake but only got to fish for about 20 minutes. Gets dark early on those lakes cause they are at the base of the peak. Dark about 1.5-2hrs befor the basin and don't want to get stuck going down in the dark.

I have heard that the lakes have fish because years ago they used to air stock and the pilots couldn't tell which lake was which from the air. Going to hit that lake up myself in about 3 weeks. By the way, cold at that altitude and lake probably still frozen now. Please update.

Mike

Let us know how you do. I went up there once with the parents back when I was 12 or 13 - I'm now 51. We went up becuase the lake was supposed to be full of brookies. The thing I remember was the wind was blowing so hard that we couldn't cast our lines.....