PDA

View Full Version : 5-7-08 LB wall Mackeral, Calico/Sand bass, And Halibutt!

vince champion
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
After getting a few suggestions from this site i decided to head for the horseshoe kelp today. Woke up at 7am, and waited for my friend until 920! O man i was so mad. While driving to LB i tried inputting the cordinates into this temporary hand held gps i got just for today and it gave me wrong the wrong spot! So i had to go big 5 and buy another hand held gps. Messing with it while i drive i notice this gps does the same damm thing! So off to another big 5 to exchange it. At this time it was about 1030 already. Finally got to Long beach at 11.

Bought half a scoop of chovies and sardines and turned on the pump and realize it stopped working! wtf?!?(so we had to manually change the water with a bucket all day.) Got to horseshoe at around 1130 and saw 2 charter boats there. They looked like they didnt do that well. We stayed there for 30 mins or so and left because my cousin and my friend was getting sea sick.

At this time i was really ****, Anticipated all night about today, Waited all morning for laggers, 2 messed up GPS and a broken bait pump. Now we gotta go back in but im glad we did. Fishing around the wall for 2 hours we caught around 20 fish total. I was so shocked cause of the overcast but overall it was a good day. It ended very well with a nice halibutt my cousin caught! 26 1/2 inch long over 6 lbs. Farmed quite a bit of huge rays or halis. Drag peeling like crazy and snapped there goes the line.

Here are a few pixs of the fishes we caught. The Bass were ok size except for some dinks. The mackeral was surprisingly big.

double hook up
http://lh6.ggpht.com/vannyik/SCKE-9IwYlI/AAAAAAAAAdY/WwuZ-6TpbcU/IMG_5697.jpg?imgmax=800

Sand bass (looks skinny cause pix was taken when we got home)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/vannyik/SCKFUtIwYwI/AAAAAAAAAe0/gzEKk_0H3yw/IMG_5714.jpg?imgmax=800
Pretty big mackeral
http://lh3.ggpht.com/vannyik/SCKFUNIwYuI/AAAAAAAAAek/iFjoqKo0p5c/IMG_5713.jpg?imgmax=800

Huge hali!
http://lh4.ggpht.com/vannyik/SCKFMdIwYsI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/RWQMeLP7eX4/IMG_5705.jpg?imgmax=800

26 1/2 inches
http://lh4.ggpht.com/vannyik/SCKFMdIwYtI/AAAAAAAAAeY/tI9QXaWJ1gY/IMG_5706.jpg?imgmax=800

Hope you guys enjoyed. Till next time. Tight lines.

vince.

Tail Chaser
05-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the report Vince
Good job on the fishys. :thumb:

So wheres the pic of your new boat?
All them Questions, And we dont even get to see it :beat:

troutdog
05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
All is well that ends well ;)

Nice catch!

TD

Ricky-Ray
05-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Looks like you guys did pretty well at the end of the day. Better than being at work. Get your buddies some seasick meds for next time and hopefully you'll do better at the horseshoe.

spartafish
05-08-2008, 01:13 AM
get them an alarm clock before you get them anything

boxl0bster
05-08-2008, 03:02 AM
way to go man! thanks for the report, i hate it when people lag on days like this. i anticipate the trip all night and they lag and you start your day pist... at least you guys got on some fish!

That Dang Guy
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
...late people get left behind. That'll teach 'em pretty quickly to be on time.

spartafish
05-08-2008, 01:11 PM
...late people get left behind. That'll teach 'em pretty quickly to be on time.

thats what i was thinking. i wouldve left them behind too. you didnt get to the shoe til 11 30, imagine if a school of yellows ran through there at 10. i'd be pissed

bonestock
05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
ginger + dramamine. works everytime.

aerosnout
05-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Awesome! thanks for sharing!

vince champion
05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks for all your replies.

BR- I will have pix up as soon as i am done with it. Or who knows maybe i might just sell it and geta 26 or 28 footer =) then ill post that boat up. You were right once youre in the water 21 footer is pretty darn small.

sparta fish - lol if i get them an alarm clock i think ill need one of those flying on that flies around and wont stop ringing until you get up and chase after it and stop it. LOL

I will suggest ginger to him. He did take 2 pill of bonine (dramamine is weaker) and he still got sick!

As much as i want to leave them behind, i wont enjoy my day knowing what i did to them. I love fishing with company and seeing them catch fish. Makes the trip well worth it.

vince

Ricky-Ray
05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I love fishing with company and seeing them catch fish. Makes the trip well worth it.

Take me with you instead. I promise to be on time. LOL

vince champion
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
:rofl: will do ricky-ray. Next time i dont have a fishing buddy ill be sure to hit you up. Pm me your cell and the days you are free. I try to set something up. As for this weekend, ill be in vegas so it be sometime next week or so. You can show me hows its really done at horseshoe aight? :lol:

vince.

JapanRon
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi vince champion,

Nice job on the variety of fishys, words and pics. Look forward to more breakwater-area fishing adventures !!

JapanRon

Ricky-Ray
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
:rofl: will do ricky-ray. Next time i dont have a fishing buddy ill be sure to hit you up. Pm me your cell and the days you are free. I try to set something up. As for this weekend, ill be in vegas so it be sometime next week or so. You can show me hows its really done at horseshoe aight? :lol:

vince.

I usually fish weekends. I don't know if I'll be a good enough guide for the horseshoe. I've only been there twice and they were always on a sportboat. I'll PM you my number, if we ever hookup, I'll gladly chip in for gas and bait and whatever else.

Beeracuda211
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
How did the mackerel taste?? LOL

vince champion
05-11-2008, 11:58 AM
ahh back from vegas and down only 150 bucks! glad i didnt lose any more than that.

ricky- sounds good just pm me your # and well go one of these weekend. I guess well just go exploring. :lol:

beeracuda - i didnt eat the mackeral, my cousin took it home. I took the bass home and its pretty damm good. Steamed it.

Japan ron -Thanks for your kind words. Will try to post every outting i go.

Vince.

steve092
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Great job!

Off topic, but what is the legal limit for a Halibut?

vince champion
05-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Legal halibutt is 22' i believe.