PDA

View Full Version : ALBACORES!!!

Daus
05-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Now that I got your attention... Where are all the ALBACORES!!! Errrr... about this time every year we hear signs of albacores making they way within 1 1/2 day range by now. I hope we have not turned back to the pre-1996 albacore years. I know Mexican commercial boats line their nets south of Ensenada to trap the migratory albies about this time of the year through the summer months as albies make their migration northward to the outer banks, but does anybody know or heard of any sightings of albie schools migrating up our directions this year?

It's been a pathetic 3 years in a row for overnight S.D. boats, but at least there were SIGNS of albie migration then, but none, nunca, nada, zippo this year. Anyone know or heard of anything?

SanDimasLMB
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
El Nino WAS building up but has died down. Ironically, the water actually is warming up so fast that the Albies can't make it over here :evil: I guess yellowtail this year and hopefully some dodo's :twisted:

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh Man, your Killing me. I was all set to break out the smoker for your catch. That was a good one Daus .

You Funny guy!!!

one_leg
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
:thumb: Perfect post placement.

I love the longfins. I like em smoked. Sashimi.

One_Leg

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I am the smoker King, If you catch any give me a PM.

Daus
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
sorry guys for jerking your chains. I thought I would have some fun with this one.. but in all honesty, I'm really concerned about this summer's longfins or lack thereof. I personally wouldn't go on an overnight S.D. boat just to catch a bunch of firecracker kelp paddy yellowtails (5-8lbers), and that's what it looks like as of now. Well, let's see what the season has in store for us.

One-leg, I would never post in the wrong section.. NEVER! Not with you patrolling.. like a FNN post-warden. I wouldn't be caught dead "poaching" in the wrong section. :lol:

Troutman65, I'm funnier in person.. funny looking that is.

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Daus,

Sounds like you have a really great sence of humor. That will help you out here on the boards.

With the Alibe's you never know what it going to be like from year to year. All anyone can do is wait and see. As I am sure you already know.

Good luck fishing when you do go to catch them.

Ambassadorhawg
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
We are re-entering a "warm-water" cluster of years now. It all started about 3 years ago. Water temps climb fast and that pushes the Albies to the outside and to the North in search of more comfortable temps. I have been in a few bites on a temp break where the YFT and Albies and BET were all feeding together. Maybe that will happen this year??? But for the most part, expect to see YFT as king of the tunas for a while as far as Northern Baja goes...

Be happy about it, YFT are much stronger fighters! And, where there is YFT, there is BET!!!

If you really want to get the Albies, be prepared to fish off Oregon & Washington.

I think that it gonna take another moderate El Nino surge to screw up the currents enough to have a good stretch of Albie years again. That's when it got good for Albie again, after the 1997 El Nino. It was horrible for many years for Albies before that...

Daus
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Ambassadorhawg,

Thanks for your indepth response. It makes sense since albies were caught off Washington state last year. I guess it's better that they swam around the drift netting commercial boats parked within a stone away from the outer banks south of ensenada. I've been on 3-8 days trips and on our line up to S.D., we literally had to manuver around those darn commercial boats because they had their nets out.

Ambassadorhawg
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I know what you mean. They scooped up the YFT that the fleet was working on last year and the year before.