PDA

View Full Version : Tube Bladder Repair

pescado abajo
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
hey guys.
after my last tube sess to the 'wood i noticed one of my bladders was much lower than when i got into the water. i'm assuming a hole, but i'm still pretty new to tubing and was wondering how i check for and fix a hole. is it like a bike tube?
when i was a kid, i would pull the tube, inflate it a bit then douse w/ water and look for bubbles. when i found the hole i would sand that area down a bit (for patch grip?), glue the patch then light the sides (not sure why i did that, but that's what the other kids on the block were doing).
is it more or less the same process for the bladder?
i have a fc4 if that makes any difference.

thanks for any help you guys can contribute.

PA

Z-TUNAKILLER
05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
hey p a, i have never repaired one, but have a look.....page 6

oh yeah, water with a little dish soap added, will help you find the hole.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/instructions/Super%20Fat%20Cat.pdf (http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/instructions/Super%20Fat%20Cat.pdf)

Good Luck... Hope this HELPS ?

ToonZilla

FISH ON !

Brian_GSC
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I've patched many holes in my tubes It is basically like patching a bike tire.

How low was the tube when you got it in the water? Sometimes when the water temp is lower than the air temp the tube will deflate a little when you put it in the water. When the water is much colder than the air I usually let my tube sit on the water for a few minutes, wait for it to deflate a little, then I add more air to it.

Flying
05-07-2008, 10:03 PM
ZT has the right idea, go to the manufacturer for repair instructions.

Ths older round tubes had rubber inner tubes. Just about everything now days has vinyl or urethane bladders so you should get the repair kit from the manufacturer of your tube.

pescado abajo
05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
thanks for the info, guys. i still have the manufacturer repair kit so i should be in good shape.
jenks is being stocked this week, and i'm itching to get out there. hopefully the wife lets me out to play w/ gas prices so high and all.

TIGHT LINES
pa

Skyler
05-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Here's a little tip that will really help in locating the hole. Inflate the bladder halfway and then put about a half gallon of water in it through the boston valve. Then top it off with air and roll the water around in it. The leak will actually squirt a small stream of water. Then drain and dry, and patch it. I usually pull the leaking hole directly under the boston valve's opening, and add a contact patch on the inside before patching the outside with cement.