PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing obstacles - kelp

jplee3
05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all,
Just wondering how you deal with areas with dense kelp when surf fishing (i.e. south OC beaches especially) I've been trying to get out to Corona Del Mar beach more often. The past few times I've gone and tried around the Inspiration Point side, I've gotten hung up numerous times on kelp. There's so much 'hidden' kelp and debris in that area! What gear or rigs would you suggest using in conditions like that? Flylining? Heavier sinkers? Would braid help (i.e. Berkley Big Game Spectra)? Or would you just not suggest it at all?

TIA

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Braided line will help. Cut right through kelp. Read an artical in the WON about it I think

jplee3
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Braided line will help. Cut right through kelp. Read an artical in the WON about it I think

Yea I think I saw that as well, which is why I brought it up. The problem I hear with braid though, is that it doesn't cast well. Does it *really* not cast well enough to use in the surf? Or is there different 'types' of braid that allows for better casting? I've heard different things where technology has improved and possibly helped with that problem. Anybody have more info?

SanDimasLMB
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Yea I think I saw that as well, which is why I brought it up. The problem I hear with braid though, is that it doesn't cast well. Does it *really* not cast well enough to use in the surf? Or is there different 'types' of braid that allows for better casting? I've heard different things where technology has improved and possibly helped with that problem. Anybody have more info?

Just dont go with cheapo braid, and you're good to go. I suggest PowerPro for braid

jplee3
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Just dont go with cheapo braid, and you're good to go. I suggest PowerPro for braid

Right on... I was actually lookin at that stuff - PowerPro Spectra, right?

spiceguy
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I can cast a loooong way with Fireline.................

Cangler
05-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Has anyone used one of those metal grapples you slide down
your line when you get caught up on something ?

KaliDawgFan
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Has anyone used one of those metal grapples you slide down
your line when you get caught up on something ?

Have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm interested.

Cangler
05-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Its a grapple which you attach to your line when you are hooked up.
You tie some light rope to it and it slides down to the snag.
Wish i could remember where i saw the article....

Fisherman57
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Its a grapple which you attach to your line when you are hooked up.
You tie some light rope to it and it slides down to the snag.
Wish i could remember where i saw the article....

There are quite a few out there............. check them out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... er&spell=1 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=fishing+lure+retriever&spell=1)