PDA

View Full Version : Can someone point me in the right direction?

snowboarder
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Been lurking on and off for a while now. Hoping I can get help as to where I can take my Dad for some good surf fishing.

I live in Glendale, and willing to drive one or two hours for a good spot. I used to do a lot of surf fishing as a kid in Argentina with my dad before I came to the states.

Once here, I started hitting up places like Jalama, Pismo(before the quads and bikes took over), lompoc, mexico and a few local beaches. It's been a while since I've been surf fishing tho, so I don't really know where to go anymore. Been mostly going on day boat trips off san pedro and san diego, and doing some lake fishing. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I promise to come back here with pics and a full report! HAHA

Feel free to reply here or PM me.
Thanks in Advance!

troutdog
05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Zuma Beach area treated my buddy well last week, couple shorts and a few bsp. Topanga and PCH area is good too from what I hear.

At least you got your yearly post in!;)

Good luck out there with your Dad.....

TD

fish_sauce
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
its not always where you fish, but what you're actually fishing for, imho.

once you have your target species, you'll have a better idea on how to set up your gear, what lure to use, what bait to use, how to set it up---and also, you'll know what or where to look for them, such as where to cast, whether near structure or open waves...etc...etc...

there are plenty of good information on the internet on SoCal surf fishing. If you have time, it won't hurt to check out the books they have in your local library either...some SoCal surf fishing books actually provide topographic maps of possible good fishing spots in the area...

Fisherman57's article on "Surf Perch 101" is a good place to start if you need a quick crash course on surf fishing....http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

when im looking for a new place to fish, i have found it easier to just scout for a new possible place on google earth like the way the article recommended...good luck fishing and have fun out there!

snowboarder
05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm going for anything. I have a little experience throwing jigs so I'll give that at try. I just picked up a couple of Lucky Craft Flashminnows, hopefully I have luck with those. I'll continue searching the site.
Thanks again!

fish_sauce
05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm going for anything. I have a little experience throwing jigs so I'll give that at try. I just picked up a couple of Lucky Craft Flashminnows, hopefully I have luck with those. I'll continue searching the site.
Thanks again!

Lucky Craft lures are nice, but i usually carry some cheaper lower-quality lures in my tackle box to toss around in a new area first before i move to the lucky crafts...especially when i'm unfamiliar with that spot....in areas with a lot of structure or a lot of vegetation, or a lot of trash/debris in the water, its easy to snag onto something and end up losing your expensive lure...and that could make for an unpleasant outing experience...